Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: may i know your favorite headphone? (Read 53715 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: may i know your favorite headphone?

Reply #50
I just got a pair of Pioneer SE-MS7BT-S as a gift. They're BT headphones, but even though, I think they're great. They support aptX, AAC, NFC and Hi Res Audio.

Not on par with wired headphones, but I use it a lot with the iPad.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Headphones/SE-MS7BT-T

Reply #51
A kind and generous person stole my Sony MDR-Z7's. Looking at replacements I'd have been happy with another pair of Z7's but the UK distributor of Beyerdynamic was selling "B" stock 2 gen T5P's on EBay for £399. I liked the T5P (I have friends who used them so was familiar with the model) but the UK SRP is more than I'd be willing to spend on a pair of headphones. However at £399 it was worth a go so I went for it, despite being called "B" stock the item was unopened and new and I suspect that the distributor has over stocked and are marketing these as "B" stock to avoid devaluing shop stock by advertising it as a 50% discount on regular new stock. I'm delighted with them, and they can easily be driven to a sensible volume directly from my smartphone and tablet and sound terrific without needing a separate headphone amp or DAC. For any other British users of this forum who have had an interest in these headphones but baulked at the cost they should check this opportunity out.

Reply #52
AKG K612. It share a basic sound signature with Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm and Sennheiser HD600, costing around half as much. The build quality is nice, the design is serious and timeless. The sound is clear and juicy, I can listen all day to difficult instruments like violin, cymbals, trumpet without ear fatigue. Out of the box it handles classic rock and orchestral music well, conveying a lot of spatial imaging. With some EQ it comes alive on dance genres, easily surpassing good closed headphones like Audio Technica ATH-M50X. The downside is that they require a powerful headphone amp to be driven loudly enough.

Reply #53
All of my headphones sound great now that I've got MiniDSP's headphone amp plus headphone measurement device! Using Room EQ Wizard and the calibration files supplied by MiniDSP, I was able to bring all of their frequency responses fairly close to the target respons  proposed by Sean Olive / Harman Int'l, with my modified (stock ear pads replaced with ones by Shure) Fostex T50RP IIs coming very close indeed.

(BTW, it turns out there's no magic involved with the ear pad tweak: The Shure pads are deeper and form a better seal, that's all)

Reply #54
HD650 and Grado RS1

Reply #55
> headphone measurement device

An imitation of human head with linear/calibrated microphones inside "ears"? How expensive is it to get such a thing?
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #56
Sony MDR-XB1000. 🎧 It’s great fun. :)
Rhythmbox, Flac + Vorbis, Sennheiser HD650 + Sony MDR-XB1000

Reply #57
I own and use JBL E55BT which are probably on the cheaper end of the scale. But anyway, they work and sound good enough for my train rides and I just don't want to hear anything. Maybe when they see their end of life I will have the budget for better ones. But who knows?

Reply #58
Closed: MrSpeakers Aeon Flow
Open: HiFiMan HE-500
In-ear: Audeze iSINE20

Reply #59
In ear: Etymotic ER4XR
Full size closed: Shure SRH1540

Reply #60
Closed: AKG K550
Open: Sennheiser HD580 (Rarely use it anymore)
IEM: Shure SE425
Wireless: Sennheiser Momentum Free Wireless

Reply #61
Got myself a pair of wireless cans yesterday. Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless.

At first listen I thought, wow, what a difference compared to my AKG K551 wired ones. The sound was... not natural, nor crisp. And the fit was not comfortable, it screeches the ears. Noise cancelling was good. But in total I was not blown away. It was ment to replace my office head phones, a cheap pair Tao Tronics TT-BH040, but I can't live with them, Not after reading all the overwhelming top reviews all over the web.

So. Today I returned them. Too bad, but it was the best thing to do. I got an idea. Since I love my K551 I found a demo pair of K550 Mk III for a great price. Will put a bluetooth module on them and a short jumper cable. Then I have my own custom wireless head phones for office. Will be great I think.

Summary. I love my AKG's, will soon have my third pair. K5xx is really great bang for the buck.

Reply #62
So my new AKG's arrived! K550 Mk III. Have put on a self-made Bluetooth conversion for them :) good cans got even better! Hard to be more satisfied I think.

AKG K550 Mk III Wireless

Reply #63
I use Audio Technica ATH M50X (for listening purpose only). I'm happy with it.

Reply #64
Sony MDR V6, and Grado SR225e, are probably still affordable for most. But play any good headphone through a Mesa Boogie Tigris amplifier and you are in for a treat.

Reply #65
Sony MDR V6, and Grado SR225e, are probably still affordable for most. But play any good headphone through a Mesa Boogie Tigris amplifier and you are in for a treat.
I think I can detect the odour of a troll...

Reply #66
Mesa Boogie Tigris
I think I can detect the odour of a troll...
Considering that Mesa Boogie try to follow up their Baron amplifier - which had the reputation of rather being an "instrument" (read: add the guitar amp distortion you think the guitarist should have done) - then I would not be surprised if they made another thing with, ahem, audibly nonzero measurements.