Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter (Read 522330 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter

Reply #400
I am particularly interested in why the 2 setting and auto setting sound different when I am only using 2 channel stereo recordings.

Might be some placebo. Anyways, just keep the 2 setting.

Reply #401
I have this vst plugin working with foobar and TB Isone for use with headphones. It works great for me but I have a question about the channel selection that appears in the upper left corner of the TB Isone window when I use this plugin. I am only using the one dsp. In the upper left corner it lets me choose 1,2 or auto setting for channels. If I choose 1 it is obviously limiting things to something like mono. If I choose 2 it sounds clearly like two channels, but if I choose auto the sound stage expands in width and depth and opens considerably?

I hear no difference between auto and 2 channels.

Reply #402
It seems that to get a VST's GUI up I have to do File->Preferences->DSP Manager, click on the plug and select "Configure Selected".  At that point, however, the DSP Manager becomes inactive and immobile (which disallows player interraction if it opens over the player and you don't yet know to move it before opening the plug.) 

Is there a way to go back to the player with only the VST GUI active so that I can interact with it while using the player and not have the DSP Manager window cluttering things up or obscuring the player?

Even better, is there a way to bring up the VST GUI without all the rigamarole through menus and tabs to get there.  As it is the human factors of using VST plugins are horrible and not for the naive.  I understand the rigamarole for installation, but not for subsequent use.

I'd like to create an installable package of Foobar2000 with foo_vst and the VST plug I'm developing already included for users to evaluate but they are unlikely to understand or want to know anything about the rigamarole.  If this plug could add an item to Foobar2000's menu that says "VST" which presents a list of those installed and enabled that a user could just open and select the plugin of interest to bring up its GUI that would be an awesome usability enhancement.

Reply #403
It seems that to get a VST's GUI up I have to do File->Preferences->DSP Manager, click on the plug and select "Configure Selected".  At that point, however, the DSP Manager becomes inactive and immobile (which disallows player interraction if it opens over the player and you don't yet know to move it before opening the plug.) 

Is there a way to go back to the player with only the VST GUI active so that I can interact with it while using the player and not have the DSP Manager window cluttering things up or obscuring the player?

Even better, is there a way to bring up the VST GUI without all the rigamarole through menus and tabs to get there.  As it is the human factors of using VST plugins are horrible and not for the naive.  I understand the rigamarole for installation, but not for subsequent use.

I'd like to create an installable package of Foobar2000 with foo_vst and the VST plug I'm developing already included for users to evaluate but they are unlikely to understand or want to know anything about the rigamarole.  If this plug could add an item to Foobar2000's menu that says "VST" which presents a list of those installed and enabled that a user could just open and select the plugin of interest to bring up its GUI that would be an awesome usability enhancement.

View --> DSP --> VST name

Reply #404
I have a vst working fine for playback, but for conversion half the resulting file is science. The end of the file converts correctly.

Any suggestions?

Reply #405
View --> DSP --> VST name

Now that's just too easy.  :-)

Thanks a lot.  Solves a big problem for me that you've shown me I didn't have. 

You've given me more motivation to RTFM.

Reply #407
Sharing Info:

If anyone is looking for a multichannel chainer (8 input - 8 output)
try Blue Cat's PatchWork

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/

All vst loaded  in one interface ( pre,sided/parallel and post filters) and no 20 vst limit.

You mean: "anyone with money" ... Price: 59 EUR or $79 (excl. VAT

</h2>
<h2>Demo Limitations[/b]
  • One single instance of the plug-in per session.
  • The plug-in is regularly bypassed for a few seconds.
I like to use "HD audio" in PaulStretch. "HD audio", lol.

Reply #408

Yeah, not all vst are free. But frankly I  don't see why a foobar user would be interested by a "8 input/output chainer".

I find at least a modular vst host more interesting, you can do all kind of complicated mixing , with different dsp.
The console art teknika works well inside foobar with the vst adapter.
But most people are just interested to run an eq.

Reply #409

Yeah, not all vst are free. But frankly I  don't see why a foobar user would be interested by a "8 input/output chainer".

I find at least a modular vst host more interesting, you can do all kind of complicated mixing , with different dsp.
The console art teknika works well inside foobar with the vst adapter.
But most people are just interested to run an eq.

Yes.  most vst cost money, but as I said you could try the demo and do as you wish. I found it useful because it was the only chainer I found with multichannel support.
My interest is in multichannel music files (quad, surround)  and I can process each channel with vst in real-time playback to my surround system.
eg Boost the center channel (which usually has only vocals)  or the lfe channel for extra bass.

Listening to music recorded in true surround, is a must for the audio enthusiast.

ps.  console art techika is not free.

Reply #410
Hi,

great plugin, most things work for me. But I have one issue. When I use T-Racks Metering VST Plugin and close the plugin window and shut down Foobar, foo_vst.dll crashes everytime on startup when i want to restart Foobar and i have to delete foo_vst.dll to be able to launch Foobar.

When I use another (T-Racks) Plugin, that doesn't happen. It also doesn't crash on startup when I DO NOT close T-Racks Metering Window and only shut down Foobar.

Finally, as "workaround" I use to MINIMIZE Plugin Windows when not needed. Then everything is ok.

Reply #411
Works someone MaxxBass from Waves ?

Reply #412
Something isn't working.

When I add ARC 2 from IK Multimedia (room correction), I have to choose a measurement in a list.

Clicking on an item of the list should let the plugin load a data file and make some calculations.

In foobar, I'm not sure an item is selected. If it is it does nothing so the addon doesn't work.

Having tried the blue cat's patchwork demo mentionend above, the ARC plugin does work there, I can select an item in the list and the plugin does work.

Can you fix the vst adapter pls?

Reply #413
Sharing Info:  If anyone is looking for a multichannel chainer (8 input - 8 output)  try Blue Cat's PatchWork  http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/  All vst loaded  in one interface ( pre,sided/parallel and post filters) and no 20 vst limit.

Or maybe one of these:

Mutools MUX - http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html (19€)

DDMF Metaplugin - http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=3 (49$)

Image-Line Minihost Modular - http://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?...19&t=123031 (registering)

Here's MUX in action (stereo to 7.1 surround by FreeSurround component --> MUX VST (each mono channel monitored by SPAN) ... (just load EQ, Delay, what ever VST's you like to MUX ... ) -->):

Reply #414
would it be possible to upload the original video (mentione din the inital post) explaining the installation process, or an updated one?
it is no more available.

thanks

Re: foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter

Reply #415
Doens't work anymore under Win 10 Pro x64. Crashes always =(

Reply #416
Oh, I found a solution for the Melda Production VSTs with foobar2k v1.3.12!
- Get the latest version of Melda VSTs
- While in setup select only VST (no VST3, no AVX-whatever)
- Install it to the default path ("C:\Programs (x86)\vstPlugins\MeldaProduction")
- Create a "vst" folder within your foobar2k directory
- Go to the default path and copy the whole "MeldaProduction" folder into your "foobar2k/vst"
- Launch foobar2k
- In the menu select "Preferences/Components/VST-plugins" and add/update the paths for your VST plugins
- In the menu select "Preferences/Playback/DSP Manager" and there you go

Hope that helps someone!

Cheers!

Reply #417
I am finding that trying to make a preset in the presets panel causes the UI to go nuts. It becomes unresponsive, with the close button on the text entry popup flickering madly. In order to get the VST's UI under control, I have to kill Foobar and restart it. This happens with all the VSTs that I've tried, including EasyQ, Sonarworks and TDR Nova.

I also find that the host is pretty unstable in general, sometimes bringing up the UI of VSTs will just cause Foobar to crash to desktop.

I'm using up to date Win 10 x64, Foobar 1.3.14 (though the same happened with earlier versions) and foo_vst 0.9.0.3. I have let Foobar send a few crash longs, I don't know how helpful this is for you, though.

Edit: I notice that Foobar's "online troubleshooter" calls this plugin out too, so I guess the problems are a known thing- I assume it's abandoned?

Reply #418
any vst users still out there? vst was an pretty neat feature. i specially always preferred that one tda 32 band geq which is just different to the 31band xgeq offered here in the components section.

ofc. the tda has its downsides.. however. it always worked like a charm with that vst 0903..

later i had that other vst plugin installed. one that you had to control via taskbar menu. didnt work for me at all.

but now i am stuck. my fb2k app crashes when trying to save new tda 32band geq presets. i recently wiped my drive and lost all my presets. now i can only use it on the fly. meaning i can not save any presets, but i can use it ...

and its still more convinient imo, since i can still use / navigate in the fb2k audio player while having an vst plugn opened and displayed. cant do that with the other 31 band xgeq from the components section one for example

please help me getting vst pluging fully working again. appreciate any help

Reply #419
It's always been like this, massive bug, whenever you try to do text/keyboard entry it hangs. Not been updated/fixed in forever, not likely to be, I imagine. Only workaround is to never use text entry, just use the knobs instead.

I for one would LOVE to see native VST support in FB2K.

Reply #420
Only workaround is to never use text entry, just use the knobs instead.

yea that works. i control the knobs and save it as is. it saves the preset as "default" but later i can jusr rename the saved file within the presets folder of my plugin.

gosh that works as a workaround.

only need to re create like 10 profiles, then i am fine

thanks darkflame23 :P

Reply #421
It's always been like this, massive bug, whenever you try to do text/keyboard entry it hangs. Not been updated/fixed in forever, not likely to be, I imagine. Only workaround is to never use text entry, just use the knobs instead.

The only way I've been able to do text entry is to double click the field, enter the text I want, and then exit out of the VST window (DO NOT PRESS ENTER OR ELSE IT FREEZES). When re-initializing it through View > DSP > [whatever VST] , or through the DSP Manager, the changes will be applied... It's a BS workaround, but it does come in handy when you need precision and those knobs aren't doing it

Reply #422

The only way I've been able to do text entry is to double click the field, enter the text I want, and then exit out of the VST window (DO NOT PRESS ENTER OR ELSE IT FREEZES). When re-initializing it through View > DSP > [whatever VST] , or through the DSP Manager, the changes will be applied... It's a BS workaround, but it does come in handy when you need precision and those knobs aren't doing it

Who needs this buggy adapter when there is the good old reliable George Yohng's VST adapter?
www.yohng.com/software/foobarvst.html

I use it with Foobar successfully for many years already.  I link this George Yohng's VST adapter to Console ART-Teknika VST chainer. It's very visual and user-friendly. Console's window stays open while Foobar is playing. You can load, change settings, delete VST plugins in Console, while Foobar is playing. You can build as many VST-chains as you want using your favorite VST plugins and save them as Console presets.

Reply #423
The George Yohng one was even more buggy, when I tried it a few years ago. Perhaps I'll give it another go. I see it hasn't been updated in nine years though...

Would still love native VST support in FB2K, any chance Case or Peter etc?

[EDIT] Nope, it crashes Foobar after scanning my plugin folder, and won't allow Foobar to reopen afterwards. So I manually deleted it.

Reply #424
Did you try loading foobar "in compatibility mode"? I'm on Windows Pro 64 and I use compatibility mode for Vista with Foobar and it works fine for me.