Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter (Read 522281 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter

Reply #350
The George Yohng's plugin is better for me because I can keep the interface of the VST plugins on top of the Foobar2000 player while music plays and control the sound "on the fly".

You can do the same with foo_vst, I have no idea where you pulled the idea that it can't.

Yes, you can control the sound "on the fly", but you cannot control the buttons in the Foobar, e.g., start or stop the playback, put it on pause. You gotta close the VST windows first, which is not convinient.

Reply #351
The George Yohng's plugin is better for me because I can keep the interface of the VST plugins on top of the Foobar2000 player while music plays and control the sound "on the fly".

You can do the same with foo_vst, I have no idea where you pulled the idea that it can't.

Yes, you can control the sound "on the fly", but you cannot control the buttons in the Foobar, e.g., start or stop the playback, put it on pause. You gotta close the VST windows first, which is not convinient.

You don't have to close any VST windows at all. What you might be referring to is window focus, as VST windows can't be pinned at this time.

Reply #352
May I request multicore support? Currently I can't run more than four VST plug-ins at a time. Multithreading first needs to be implemented in Fb2k before plug-ins can use it so we got a problem. I have seen Fb2K uses 2nd core of CPU most intensively by default. Taking away permission to use 1st CPU core heavily degrades performance, so maybe currently it supports upto dual core, further support of more cores and 64 bit architecture is necessary so that we can run 64 bit versions of VST plugins distributed among all available cores.

Reply #353
Well I have found a solution: If I take away permission of both first two cores, the process will distribute load among rest of the cores evenly. This both removes the shutters and enables me to perform other tasks while listening music. But I can't do anything with the FB2K UI without causing the audio to shutter.

Reply #354
Is there anything that could be done to make visualizing plugins compensate for the playback buffer?

Reply #355
I was wondering the same thing... I am using a free VST spectrum analizer (as DSP) and it is "ahead" of music with a full second.

Reply #356
Short answer: I'm sorry but no.

It's View > DSP menu we're talking about, not VST plug-ins, right? Well, not only this feature won't be extended but it will also be disabled by default. It's because Foobar2000 doesn't encourage such behavior, i.e. to leave DSP config windows open. I wish it wasn't so myself. As for integrating VST GUIs into the fb2k's main window, it'll be just ugly because VST doesn't support window sizing.

I've just found this thread, and was wondering the same thing. In my case it's purely ornamental though, I like the effect (visual, that is) of the Blue Cat Frequency Display, and would like to display it in a panel within ColumnsUI. I realise most VST plugins are meant to enhance/alter the sound in some way, and for that I'd think it'd be handy too, more so because the plugin would actually be doing something useful  The phrase 'VST doesn't support window sizing' pretty much says it all though.

Reply #357
We have developed a VST plugin. There are is one issue on Foobar VST using this VST adapter.

The problem is that this plugin does not call resume() / suspend() on discontinuities in the incoming audio stream and does not return any useful information in
VstTimeInfo *vsti = getTimeInfo(-1);

Because of this issue we cannot detect the situation when users seek song position or switch to another song, and this means we cannot clear inner audio buffers of our plugin to avoid tails and echoes if user is seeking the song or switching between songs. We have tried two approaches:

- detecting when the current buffer has came X times later than the last buffer length but we had problems to adjust the X constant. On some machines for some formats X=4 worked fine but on some other machines or other formats it did not work. Then we tried X=3, but got many false positives on some machines and for some formats.
- then we noticed that after discontinuities the incoming buffer size often changes. But the problem was that it was just "often" and not always, so it's not reliable approach either.

Is there any reliable way to detect audio stream discontinuities in this Foobar VST adapter?

Reply #358
You should contact Peter Pawlowski or some official developer, this thread is for a plugin made by a third-party developer.

Reply #359
Maybe I did not specify it clearly enough. We are loading our VST plugin into Foobar through the Yegor Petrov's VST adapter foo_vst. Generally, it is great adapter except this single issue with not providing any means to determine when the user has changed his song position.

Maybe it is Foobar's problem and there is no any way to get position info from Foobar to foo_vst and then to our plugin? Anyway, it would be great to hear any ideas.

Reply #360
midix, do you get similar results when using foo_dsp_vstwrap by George Yohng?

Reply #361
Oh, thanks for the idea, I'll try the foo_dsp_vstwrap. Somehow I forgot that one 

Reply #362
Yegor, while using Dynamic DSP component, I noticed issue with your non-modal config dialogs (View > DSP) - if I access Dynamic DSP component through "View > DSP" and then double click on one of available chains inside Dynamic DSP, foobar crashes reproducibly

If I access Dynamic DSP from foobar preferences there is no issue, but then if I try to open actual chain, I have 4 opened windows which mask the player. To be more inappropriate, if I use some VST in Dynamic DSP chain and access VST as described, I get no action - VST doesn't show signal although I can blindly adjust VST and apply the change.

I'm linking this also in Dynamic DSP thread

Thanks for looking into it

Reply #363
Hi guys,

I've a problem with the VST component.

System: Win7 64
foobar: v1.1.14a (newest)

Problem: VST's seem to be loaded, but I see no Plugin-GUI. Tried different 32 bit plugins. I am missing something obvious or is it a foobar-related problem

Reply #364
just for the record, in order to workaround the lack of support for plugins not providing their own GUI, you can simply use EffectChainer as a middle-man et voilà

Reply #365
Hi folks,

(first post - so please be kind  )

I think this is a great component.  It's tidy and just allowed a VST plugin to be run as a standard DSP (that's how it appears).  Nice.

However, I have a problem that I don't think I had before.

If a VST plugin is in use, and I leave playing or pause playback, and exit, foobar2000 comes up with an error report.  This doesn't happen if I stop playback first, or unload any VST plugins.

I noticed it happen on the Win7 starter netbook, but it is also happening on WinXP SP3 PC.

The VST wrapper is loaded on the netbook at the moment, that doesn't have this problem, but I don't really like the way it works with the tray icon thing, I like your way of doing things better.

Thanks

Reply #366
ASIO is still a buggy output method, you can get exactly the same bitmatched output through WASAPI. And KS is obviously out of the question.

Thanks for getting back to me Tribaljet.
UPDATE: It's all working 100% now. I needed to increase the channel limit from 6 to 8. I also no longer needed to do "counter-intuitive" ASIO mapping, so when I just picked the ASIO channels from 1 to 8 in sequence and ignorned the nicknames, it worked just fine.

All I can say is WOW - this sounds amazing. No separate VST host. No Console. No ASIO4ALL - just Foobar and the Allocator and great sound!

This VST adapter is DA BOMB!

Hello Presto,

First post...

I have also tried the vst wrapper with Thuneau Allocator. It works fine.
Except for one thing. After restarting Foobar I have to activate  the Thuneau Allocator again filling in the licence key.

Am I missing something?

Jeroen.

Reply #367
Except for one thing. After restarting Foobar I have to activate  the Thuneau Allocator again filling in the licence key.

Try to launch foobar with admin rights, just for once, while doing activation.

Reply #368

Try to launch foobar with admin rights, just for once, while doing activation.

Yes, this solved the problem. 
Thanks!

Jeroen.

Reply #369
Hi everyone, i'm quite new to VST plugins inside foobar2000, so please be kind
I've been able to install and load the plugins i need with no problem, but now i'm wondering one thing:
Is it possible to create a folder for presets in a portable installation of foobar2000??
What i'd like is to keep all of my presets inside the foobar folder, something like \foobar2000\VSTplugins\presets...

Thanks in advance

Reply #370
What i'd like is to keep all of my presets inside the foobar folder, something like \foobar2000\VSTplugins\presets...

You mean preset for all VST ? Each VST is programmed to save preset in a particular path , I bet that's not possible. If you use the VST  "console sound modular studio" (commercial) ,  it allows to save a VST  chain, with preset in every VST , in a single preset. And this works even if you change the installation path of  each VST.

I  think this could be  possible too, with EffectChainer by Acon Digital, or MultiFXVST, although I didn't test well.

Reply #371
Is it possible to create a folder for presets in a portable installation of foobar2000??
There are 3 kinds of presets:
  • foobar2000 DSP chain presets;

• VST *.fxp presets

and the VST plug-in's own presets

The Presets Pane shows the VST plug-in's own presets. So... what kind of presets are you interested in?

presets presets presets :-D

Reply #372
Thank you for the replies 
To be honest i didn't even know of all this kind of presets, i'm a bit confused now 
However i'm studing how to use them, expecially with a portable installation of foobar, tell me if i do some mistake:

1)DSP chain presets: i don't know what they are, i'll keep this way and never use it 

2)the .fxp are the presets i can create inside a VST plugin through the small "Presets pane" button inside the plugin itself, right?
if so, when i create a new presets it is added to a new folder inside foobar2000\vst-presets\nameoftheplugini'musing\....fxp
that's good!!

3)The vst plugin it's own presets: i was talking about this presets in my first message, but tring to use them i found that some of them works other do not.
I have some vst plugins that comes with presets in a .xml formats, and i can load them with no problem.
Other instead comes with strange .spt extension, and also if i open the vst it doesn't allow me to load them. Probably they need an installed "standalone" vst host, idk...

Reply #373
It doesn't work on win8.
foo_vst is recognized, but VST are not visible