Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter (Read 522317 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vst: VST 2.4 adapter

Reply #250
only a slightly slower foobar startup
Yep, this is the way the adapter works. It keeps track of DSP stack from the very application startup as opposed to deferred loading, i.e. when the user starts playback. Either way, there is a delay before you can hear something :)

Further development of the adapter seems somewhat problematic to me because I have no time at all, you know, two jobs and two educations at once (final year both with all the headaches). And when I graduate, I'll have to go to the god damn army (it's obligatory here in Russia). That is I'll return home in summer 2012. Most likely i'll make it open source so you (yes, You, the most experienced and patient developer! :) will be able to finish the job.

Reply #251
Well, I certainly prefer to have a preload of sorts than slowdowns during foobar's operation

Seems you're quite busy these days, but it's probably a good thing  About going to the army, it's alright when it's a voluntary thing, but being forced is a whole different matter  Is there any way you can avoid going to the army, due to studies or something?

Reply #252
Many people avoid this by taking post-graduate courses or by hiding from those who is to take you there or by applying for in-university military education (which I missed for reasons I don't remember) or just by health problems (you can get fake ones for money). Unfortunately, none works for me since I'm a healthy 22 year old student with no extra money to fake anything. The upper age limit is 27 and I wouldn't like to escape for 5 years.

Reply #253
When I used your VST adapter for the first time,
I felt what a faithful man as kode54.

In the near future,FB2K should be stable like a military standard(I dont know in RU)
I hope so with your splendid cooperation.

Thank you so much and plz never drink with Hiar Spray

Reply #254
And when I graduate, I'll have to go to the god damn army (it's obligatory here in Russia).

Wow that is bullshit. I would fail in army so bad it's not even funny (24 years old, relatively healthy I guess). I would question everything. I wouldn't sleep well at all. If I am on my feet all day I would need the next day off to recover. On my feet for 2 days and I won't be able to walk the 3rd day (only happened once in my life). When I eventually get a gun I would probably go mad like that guy in Full Metal Jacket.

Reply #255
I really think that being forced to go to the army isn't really good politics, but it might not be as bad as you expect. Have you talked with someone who's been there recently? And some places are supposed to be better than others.

Reply #256
Off-topic posting

Yes, sure. It's one of the most popular topics among young Russian people. My closest friend is there right now. He's mostly ok there because he's tough. Russian army is ruled by “dedovshchina” (“grand-dadness”?) for many years, which is a set of unwritten laws like in a jail. Those who arrived earlier are free to abuse newbies. Try to imagine what the contingent is if everyone is forced to go to the army (except criminals; but who said that everyone is proved not to be a criminal by the go-to-the-army age?).  Speaking of aforementioned Full Metal Jacket, if the movie was made in Russia, there would be not just one unlucky guy but many. Not all of them would end up self-murdered though. And those who self-murder... no, it'd be just murder. The abuse includes stupid meaningless orders, exploitation, ignorance, and so on. You can appeal to army regulations but these will be abused too to show you that “you'd better keep silent”. The common rule to survive there is to be not very smart and not very stupid, not too strong and not too weak, i.e. to be an average person.

As for some places being supposed to be better, well yeah, that's true. The problem is that you don't know and don't choose places. I hope with some education I can spend entire conscription time sitting alone behind a rocket-watching device in a deep forest :D

Guys, I'm glad you think it's all wrong but the topic is wrong for this conversation too, right? :)

Reply #257
My bad  I just don't think people should be forced to do it, but there should be incentives to make people who are willing to do it instead.

Again, back on topic. I do think that foo_vst is definitely the upgrade to go from the famous yhong wrapper. Quoting a past post, "it integrates VSTs in foobar the way they were meant to be"

Out of curiosity, your wrapper will be compatible with many foobar versions to come, unless there is a significant core rewrite, like it happened from 0.x to 1.0, right?

Reply #258
AFAIR, there are no "hacks", so compatibility should be ok. Still, there are a couple of dirty tricks. Without them it'd be impossible to make this kind of adapter.

More detailed explanation is as follows. First, the adapter has to read its config data earlier than most components do because it needs to decide how many DSP services it needs to instantiate. That is, we have conditionally instantiated service - I didn't see this approach neither in the SDK nor in open-source components. But it must be ok as long as it done at early stage. I tried to avoid version-dependent stuff there, it's a regular non-API code.
The second and the dirtiest trick there is relying on parent window title when showing VST config dialog. It looks if the title contains "Converter" and makes a decision whether new instance of VST is necessary. It will not crash if the title is changed. It just won't work as expected and that conversion stuttering bug will appear again. The reason I do that trick is that there is not enough data to guess whether we're involved in conversion. And it's necessary to guess somehow because DSPs in foobar must provide a decoupled interface (i.e. the player will glue UI and processing routines itself). But it's not the case in VST.

Reply #259
Hi all,

I can't seem to get this to show as an available VST in fbr2000 ...don't know why.  All other plugins and wrappers have worked as planned.  What am I missing? 

Reply #262
You must have misread something. You won't see any new entry in the list of DSPs until you add a VST plug-in in the VST manager (Components - VST Manager).

Reply #263
Hi, yes, I can put a VST dll into components and it shows up in available DSP's --- with the exception of the VST 2.4 adapter.  It shows up under "components", but not under "Available DSP's"

I'm sure I'm having a "senior moment" with this, but what that moment (mistake) is ...I don't know.

Reply #264
This adapter doesn't work the way other wrappers do. It's seamless and you won't see any additional entries in the Available DSP's list until you add something in the VST manager which can be found in the Components branch.

There will be no "Yegor Petrov's VST wrapper" or anything like that in the Available DSP's list. You add your plug-ins in the VST manager and then you get them in the list of Available DSP's with their original names.

Just pay a little bit more attention to screenshots in the wiki.

Reply #265
This adapter doesn't work the way other wrappers do. It's seamless and you won't see any additional entries in the Available DSP's list until you add something in the VST manager which can be found in the Components branch.

There will be no "Yegor Petrov's VST wrapper" or anything like that in the Available DSP's list. You add your plug-ins in the VST manager and then you get them in the list of Available DSP's with their original names.

Just pay a little bit more attention to screenshots in the wiki.

That's the beauty of Yegor's wrapper. It makes VSTs work the way they were intended on foobar. Install the wrapper, then add VSTs through the VST plug-ins menu on the left side of the options.

Reply #266
OK, it's a seamless part of fbr2k ... now I just have to figure out how to chain and assign VST instances to the proper outputs, i.e., different EQ settings for different bands in a 3/4 way crossover...uhoh 

Reply #268
Hello guys!

First of all, I want to thank Yegor for this great plugin! The idea of fully integrated adapter is excellent, and you have done amazing work already.

But there are two things I found not to be working properly and I'm not sure what causes the problem (I'm using foobar v.1.1.5 and Blue Cat's Stereo Parametr'EQ 3)):

1 if I try to play short *.wav clips my right channel is making unusual loud noise, something similar to white noise (I uploaded clips for you) - this problem is not present if I load plugin via Yohng's VST Wrapper;

2 if I'm about to save my custom eq preset, VST plugins freeze, but foobar still continues to play.

Thanks in advance for your answer and congrats for what you have already accomplished!

Hugs N' Kisses

edit: www(dot)mediafire(dot)com/?4xmdoq2kud3s76k

Reply #269
I couldn't open this rar under Ubuntu and I don't want to restart for Windows but I think I know what's there. Try setting that particular instance of the EQ to Automatic channel limitation mode - select "Auto" in the upper left corner of the window. The bug is due to improper handling of mono streams. I'll fix it.

As for the second problem, I'll investigate it as soon as I can.

Reply #270
I couldn't open this rar under Ubuntu and I don't want to restart for Windows but I think I know what's there. Try setting that particular instance of the EQ to Automatic channel limitation mode - select "Auto" in the upper left corner of the window. The bug is due to improper handling of mono streams. I'll fix it.

Yes, you are right, in rar you will find a few mono streams!  If this kind of problem only emergeres with mono stream, it is not a big deal for me... I will create a few new stereo freqs - I need them to be able to perfect the EQ settings for testing purposes.

As for the second problem, I'll investigate it as soon as I can.

Thank you very much sir! Also, I noticed that every plugin with the option to write down values freezes right after the beginning of typing. In fact, it seems that every writing inside the adapter/plugin freezes it. I hope it's not a problem localized on my foobar...

Reply #271
Would it be possible to have an active VST plugin permanently displayed in the tabbed bar at the bottom of my Foobar layout (see screenshot)?

I tweak the EQ rather often, and instead of opening a free floating additional window, a fixed place in a tab in the main layout would be very convenient for VST plugins.

Reply #272
I answered this question earlier. It is technically possible but I have no time atm.

Reply #273
Hi!

One more thing you should try to fix... ANWIDA Soft GEQ31V is an graphic EQ with 31 parameters. It seems to me that a huge number of parameters needed to be memorized is causing the problem. After restarting foobar, the last 6 bands always reset, and than you cannot even load your custom presets, not until starting playing the music again. So...

BTW, with this EQ I can write preset names without plugin getting freezed.

Reply #274
Hello Yegor,
When I upload first TB EZCompressor and then try to upload TB EBUCompact VST adapter report "This plug-in is already in the list."
(both from ToneBoosters). Vst adapter or plug-ins problem?.