Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Software to automatically update Genre tags (Read 11648 times) previous topic - next topic

Software to automatically update Genre tags

I need software to ONLY touch the Genre part of my mp3 ID3V2 tags. I don't want it to alter any other part of the file. I have 2000 tracks that are not organized by album. All of the title and artist tags are correct. If something like this exists that actually works please reply. thanks

Reply #1
In my opinion you can forget software, which may (or may not) exist for your  request. Genre tags are frequently wrong, subjective etc.

Suggestion: Sort your song according to your own genre assessment. Then use masstagger to tag all your songs, which belongs to one genre in one step.

Reply #2
perhaps a program could grab the most frequently used tags from last.fm Just a thought 

Reply #4
This is a very complicated method but it could work for you: Get foobar 0.8.3 special version (not the most recent version because it sadly doesn't support it) and try to grab the freedb data via the context menu. I don't know how to exactly achieve that but it is possible. Though i don't recommend it - do what unart says I would do the same.
portable: 128 kbps cbr AAC
local: -7 FLAC

Reply #5
Tagscanner is a good program but only seems to work if you have full albums.

Reply #6
I like Tag&Rename (T&R) but it will not automatically select an appropriate genre given a particular song. Therefore, the following will require some input on your part. If your genre requirements are somewhat broad it shouldn't be too bad. I only use about a dozen broad genres: Rock, Blues, R&B, Folk, Country, Bluegrass, Jazz, Classical, Vocal, Easy Listening, Gospel, Soundtrack. Allmusic.com uses only about 20 (which are further divided into styles): http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=73:p

First, organize all of your mp3s into an appropriate genre folder.

Then, using T&R, select all the files in one of the genre folders;
set T&R for that genre;
make sure only the T&R genre field is activated;
click T&R's "Save tags" button;
repeat for the next genre folder.

Other tag editors are also available that can probably do the same thing.

Reply #7
thanks guys

Reply #8
Hi

I use ID3-TagIT and it works great for me.  You can select folders and sub-folders if desired, select multiple or single files and change tag info for multiple or selected files only.
You can sort the files then select in groups and change the genre for each group.

It also has quite a nice feature where you can generate tags from file names or visa versa for files that do not conform to your own preferred naming coventions.  I often use it in conjunction with Winamp whereby I use winamp to get the tag info from Gracenote then use ID3-TagIT to generate me a nice filename using the Gracenote info.

P.S. Remember to save your changes before exiting - I made this mistake.

Hope this helps.