Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WinXP users beware (Read 3335 times) previous topic - next topic

WinXP users beware

I stole this from Astaforum:

SYMPTOMS
If your computer has an ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) hard disk that is larger than 137 gigabytes (GB), you may experience any of the following symptoms:
Your computer may restart instead of resuming from hibernation.
You may experience hard disk corruption when your computer enters either standby or hibernation.
You may experience hard disk corruption when Windows XP writes a memory dump file as a result of an unrecoverable Windows error (or Stop error)
Note If you experience hard disk corruption, you may also experience other symptoms including problems starting, restarting, or shutting down Windows XP, problems running programs, or problems opening or saving documents.
CAUSE
The ATAPI driver for Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) does not use 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) when it writes memory dump files or hibernation files. Additionally, the flush cache command is not issued to a large hard disk that has 48-bit LBA enabled when Windows XP enters standby or hibernation.
RESOLUTION
Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

Release Date: January 22, 2003

more info

Download the Q331958_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe package

WinXP users beware

Reply #1
I wonder if that's the whole host of problems I'm having with my new WinXP Pro system. I have to select to Turn Off, I cannot use Stand By or Restart because if I do the screen just freezes after Windows saves the settings.

By the way the here the link from MS about the problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];331958

WinXP users beware

Reply #3
Hmm published on 5/9/2003? I go on update my Windows once in a while and there's also Auto Update. How could it miss this very important update?
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

WinXP users beware

Reply #4
Hm, I can't believe they do still have such bugs !  Back in the days I've been using a beta of Windows 95 which worked great, so I boutht the final win95 when the time came..  and what a mistake !  It corrupted my partitions every 3 days for similar LBA reasons, while the beta didn't (for 6 months).  They told me it was my mainboard (of course, a brand-new $300 ASUS !!).  I changed the M/B, still no luck. So I went back to the more stable beta.

Then came win2000, which promised to run both directx and a decent kernel, well it worked, but that was still microsoft quality engineering  :x

By the way has anyone heard about the latest 0x01 URL exploit in IE ?  the security bulletin made me laugh... or should I have cried?