Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Parametric EQ for Linux (Read 14889 times) previous topic - next topic

Parametric EQ for Linux

I have been looking everywhere for a parametric EQ that runs on Linux. Does anyone know where to find it.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Parametric EQ for Linux

Reply #1
For music playback only (where a player would suffice) or system-wide?
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #2
On Debian Stretch
Code: [Select]
apt-cache search equalizer | grep pulse
pulseaudio-equalizer - Equalizer sink module for PulseAudio sound server
I guess thats not a parametric one?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #3
for system wide use QPAEQ
Here's how the equalizer looks like:

it is not a parametric but If you resize the window horizontally, you'll notice that more bands show up so using it, you have very high control

equalizer is integrate to pulseaudio.
only need is QPAEQ interface

in ubuntu  terminal do this:

( install depencency )
sudo apt-get install python-dbus python-qt4 python-qt4-dbus pulseaudio-utils   

(get qpaeq)
wget http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/plain/src/utils/qpaeq -O /tmp/qpaeq

( install qpaeq in  /usr/local/bin/ )
sudo install /tmp/qpaeq /usr/local/bin/

( open /etc/pulse/default.pa with text editor , for exemple gedit )
sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa

( at the bottom of the file, add this:)
### Load the integrated pulseaudio equalizer and dbus modules
load-module module-equalizer-sink
load-module module-dbus-protocol

reboot

now you can find this new output in sound control (fftbase equalizer ) , select it

type qpaeq in terminal and make mod to sound.

VERY IMPORTANT: if you have click and pops in sound make this mod to default.pa

find this line:
load-module module-udev-detect

change to:
load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

reboot

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/install-pulseaudio-with-built-in-system.html
Music is my first love.

Reply #4
Install some ladspa plugins packages that you probably can find in standard repos (these plugins can be used with Audacios or QMMP, for example). In these ladspa sets there are one or two parametric equalizers there.

Reply #5
it is not a parametric but If you resize the window horizontally, you'll notice that more bands show up so using it, you have very high control

Player-wise, Deadbeef's own EQ also features some 18 bands - which will cover most ppl's needs, IMO.
União e reconstrução

Reply #6
System-wide, there's 2 options I've found for a parametric EQ on Linux. I use a PulseAudio LADSPA plugin, you'll likely have to compile it but it has fairly minimal dependencies, instructions here:
https://github.com/bmc0/dsp/wiki/System-Wide-DSP-Guide

Alternatively, here's another writeup for a 10 band parametric EQ, this requires installing JACK (as PulseAudio doesn't yet seem to support LV2 plugins) and interfacing it with PA:
http://jamesudiljak.com/blog/jekyll/update/2016/09/07/eq10q.html

Hope these help! There's also the CALF Studio Gear plugins which include a couple of parametric EQ utilities for audio processing software, but I haven't found a way to use them system-wide.

Reply #7
Many thanks for your helpful answers.

Reply #8
Imprecise question. No clarification.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_DrW067JmI
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #9
Imprecise question. No clarification.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_DrW067JmI

Some members, who don't have problems with reading comprehension, provided excellent answers. The question was precise enough for them.

But I do have a question for you. Your posts are largely devoid of any useful information, so I'd like to block you. Can you kindly advise how?

Reply #10
Says the cocky troll* who's been here for a couple of weeks but has been desperately trying to cause a stir with his/her "revolutionary" posts to a member who's been here practically4 from day one.  Not that long membership guarantees anyone to be above the law, but you haven't obviously read 1% of his +1.7K posts to personally attack him, have you?

* who's been already advised on actually reading previous debates before trying to reinvent the wheel without having a grasp of what this place is actually all about!

Are you sure of yourself, sir/ma'am?
União e reconstrução

Reply #11
Thanks includemeout.
mmrkaic couldn't be more obvious what it is here for with its 100% fitting to the pattern reaction so i left it uncommented.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #12
We had a productive discussion in this thread before wombat and includemeout started interfering with their insults. Nobody even mentioned them -- they felt entitled to start insulting me. That is a fact.

You believe that your forum "seniority" gives you special status. Apparently it is OK for wombat to attack me personally, because he is an old timer (with 1.7k posts, wow). But when I point out that HE STARTED with personal attacks, all hell breaks loose and his pal runs to his defense.

Reply #13
Thanks includemeout.
mmrkaic couldn't be more obvious what it is here for with its 100% fitting to the pattern reaction so i left it uncommented.
You're right. Leave him at it.
União e reconstrução

Reply #14
You're right. Leave him at it.

OK, so now that you two so nicely agree, could you please stop polluting my thread with your nonsense? Nobody here has any use for your insolent interventions.

Reply #15
Hi guys!
I know i am a little late to the game, but here's what I have come up with because i couldn't find any solution to this problem either:
https://t-5.eu/hp/Software/Pulseaudio%20Parametric%20Equalizer/

Description:
  • Fully parametric equalizer that can be inserted into pulseaudio system-wide
  • Low-Shelf, High-Shelf and 3 peaking EQs
  • Real-time configuration (you will hear any changes made to parameters immediately)

Reply #16
Nice find!

Reply #17
This will only work for those who are highly technically inclined, and understand the behavior of filters.  If the techie just wants to 'equalize' certain files -- or even process some files with equalization, they can use sox in the same way that I use all of the time -- like this:

sox --guard infile.wav outfile.wav equalizer hz0 gain0 q0 equalizer hz1 gain1 q1 equalizer hz3 gain3 q3 ....  highpass -2 lfhz lfq lowpass -2 hfhz hfq

The above does a group of parametric-like curves, and then a lf and hf boundary.  The --guard switch helps to avoid clipping if too much gain is specified.   here would be a more concrete example:

sox --guard infile.wav outfile.wav equalizer 50 1.4q 3 equalizer 9k 0.707q -3 highpass -2 20 0.707q lowpass -2 16.5k 1.0q

The above is fairly obvious -- +3dB@50Hz 1.4q, -3dB@9k 0.707q,  LF monotonic (0.707q is monotonic) rolloff at 20Hz, and a peaky rolloff at 16.5kHz (a q=1.0 means a dB or so boost at 16.5kHz, but a quick rolloff after that.)
There is also a bass/treble shelf command:  bass dB hz q.   So, if you want to do a monotonic bass boost of 3dB at around  320Hz, the specify a q of 0.707.   (for a 2nd order filter, a q of 0.707 is butterworth.  A bessel approximation is about 0.500 q.)

The same kind of thing works with the sox based play command:

play infile.wav equalizer 50 1.4q 3.0

(Any of the frequency modification commands work with 'play' also)
There is also a 'sinc' command which does a simple FIR style filter, which can give linear or minimum phase, and can be very sharp without extreme modification of the waveform.

John