Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Making MP3's sound more stereo (Read 320 times) previous topic - next topic
Markuza97 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Making MP3's sound more stereo

Hello. Is there a way to make the stereo width of a joint stereo MP3 file wider without decoding and re-encoding it?

Re: Making MP3's sound more stereo

Reply #1
Poweramp, Jetaudio for android. Stereotool, iZotope for foobar :))

Reply #2
@Arachnid79 Does they modify the file?

Reply #3
No, DSP. Sorry, i'm badly talking english.

Reply #4
@Arachnid79 Does they modify the file?
Why would they modify the file?

The file contains as much spacial information as there is ever going to be.  All you can do is process the two channels to remove any commonality and so create the impression of greater L-R separation.  This is a DSP effect applied on playback.  If you wanted to bake that into the file so that a player which does not have DSP could reproduce the same spatial effect, then yes it would be necessary to take the DSP output and re-encode it.

I think you might be confusing this with the difference between full stereo and joint stereo.  In full stereo, L and R are separately encoded.  With joint stereo, L+R and L-R are separately encoded.  Joint stereo provides more efficient encoding because typically L-R is a lesser signal than L or R separately.  The actual output from decoding joint stereo is no different than decoding full stereo.  There is very little reason not to use joint stereo.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #5
Hello. Is there a way to make the stereo width of a joint stereo MP3 file wider without decoding and re-encoding it?
When it comes to files with the lowest bit rate and 11 kHz sampling rate, any ‘enhancer’ will also amplify the coding artefacts that are unavoidable at your bit rates.