Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Discontinuous transmission in AAC (Read 2021 times) previous topic - next topic

Discontinuous transmission in AAC

Hello. Does AAC support discontinuous transmission?

Re: Discontinuous transmission in AAC

Reply #1
Why nobody answered this?

Reply #3
@Case Yes, I mean that. Now I'm asking the same question with different words: Does AAC support very low bitrates (below 1kbps) for silent moments?

Reply #4
It does. But you can also just stop transmitting the audio data.

Reply #6
I'm not too sure if AAC or other codecs actually (could) support DTX. I'm only aware of Speex and AMR.
But even when possible, it isn't optimal by codec design. I mean, Opus maybe could handle that, but AAC, MP3 or Vorbis... I just don't know.

Reply #7
You could view vbr as some form of DTX where the bitrate is always dependant on the complexity of the musical content.
I dont think that the codec just stops transmitting, when it detects silence, but i do know that when a flac files is encoded with very silent or close to no music it pretty much hits 0kbps. So i guess that means it still stays continuous with minimal bandwidth.

I am sure it is a similar story with aac vbr but i dont know how low the encoder goes. This should be easily testable though.
And so, with digital, computer was put into place, and all the IT that came with it.

Reply #8
You could view vbr as some form of DTX where the bitrate is always dependant on the complexity of the musical content.

Not exactly. For example, MP3 can handle VBR but it does not go below 8kbps and 8kbps is a very high bitrate to be considered as DTX.

Reply #9

Not exactly. For example, MP3 can handle VBR but it does not go below 8kbps and 8kbps is a very high bitrate to be considered as DTX.

That's a good point, DTX is not the same as VBR.
AFAIK, DTX consists of transmitting no information packets (just a few bits per second) at times when "voice activity" is very low (silence or noise). This is, to save resources in processing and bandwidth, things that were scarce at the time when this technology was implemented (90's and early 2000's).