Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CD Ripping questions (Read 2350 times) previous topic - next topic

CD Ripping questions

I found out recently that foobar2000 could rip CDs quite easily and have used it, with the "paranoid" setting to ensure the most re-reads. But I have a couple of questions concerning CD ripping:

1. Is it not possible to get album art as well as track info about a CD using foobar? I've had to hunt around for and apply images approximating my CD cover art to MP3 files manually because it doesn't seem to do this.

2. More often than not, I get "minor read errors" when ripping a CD and it says how many files were ripped with these errors. But what does "index" mean - is it track number? It would help to know as I could simply re-rip affected tracks only instead of the whole CD over and over again.

CD Ripping questions

Reply #1
There is no special support to get album art for CDs in foobar2000. I think there are third-party plugins which assist you in finding cover art for albums in arbitrary file formats.

CD Ripping questions

Reply #2
There is no special support to get album art for CDs in foobar2000. I think there are third-party plugins which assist you in finding cover art for albums in arbitrary file formats.

OK, so what does "index" mean when there are read errors?

CD Ripping questions

Reply #3
For downloading images I use foo_run plugin and Album Art Downloader.

As an example, I use this "path" : "C:\Program Files '('x86')'\AlbumArtDownloader\AlbumArt.exe" /ar "%artist%" /al "%album%"  /path "$replace(%_path%,%_filename_ext%,)Folder.jpg" in Preferences/Tools/Run Services

CD Ripping questions

Reply #4
Indexes are position markers in audio CDs. They are used to tell the start position of each track and can be used to divide a track into multiple slices. They are also occasionally used to make hidden tracks by hiding audio content in the pregap of the first audio track. foobar2000 only cares about index 1 that tells the track start position.

CD Ripping questions

Reply #5
Indexes are position markers in audio CDs. They are used to tell the start position of each track and can be used to divide a track into multiple slices. They are also occasionally used to make hidden tracks by hiding audio content in the pregap of the first audio track. foobar2000 only cares about index 1 that tells the track start position.

In that case, the index is NO USE TO ME because it won't even tell me which track the drive had difficulty reading!

CD Ripping questions

Reply #6
Care to paste one of the messages you get? I have never seen a ripping error reported by foobar so I'm genuinely curious.

CD Ripping questions

Reply #7
Care to paste one of the messages you get? I have never seen a ripping error reported by foobar so I'm genuinely curious.

OK, next time I get one I'll do so

CD Ripping questions

Reply #8
Just tried ripping a CD, "Europop by Eiffel 65", and got this:

1 out of 13 tracks converted with minor problems.

Source: "cdda://0168550D" / index: 1
  CD access error, attempting to reread.

What does "minor problems" mean? If it's just a few missing samples then I wouldn't mind, but it sounds major - makes one wonder why AccurateRip is necessary.

And what is the Index? The track number? Every time I've gotten this error the index is usually 1. If I knew that Index meant Track then I could re-rip the affected track at a slower speed.

EDIT: I've got the CD settings to "paranoid" and "rip at full speed".

CD Ripping questions

Reply #9
In that context index seems to refer to track number. I'm going to assume this error message simply means that it took unexpectedly long for the drive to react to the first read attempt and foobar2000 decided to give it another try. I'm pretty sure it would report a position if there was a read problem in some spot.

CD Ripping questions

Reply #10
In that context index seems to refer to track number. I'm going to assume this error message simply means that it took unexpectedly long for the drive to react to the first read attempt and foobar2000 decided to give it another try. I'm pretty sure it would report a position if there was a read problem in some spot.

Yeah, I thought that as well, but I've let these errors slide simply because it would only be a few samples at most missing or corrupted, and I probably wouldn't even notice them.