Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: blowfish.be EAC Guide (Read 9802 times) previous topic - next topic

blowfish.be EAC Guide

EAC- HowTo

This site contains incorrect information about configuring your drive and doesn't appear to contain any information about trying EAC's internal ripping engine......

greynol,

This "Looks" like a very thorough EAC guide website.  There is information in this guide that is not in the HA knowledge base guides.

Can you be more specific as to what the incorrect information is exactly?  Other than the drive configuration information is there anything else in this guide that should not be followed?

blowfish.be EAC Guide

Reply #2
I've already given my two cents on the site in other discussions.  It isn't worth any more of my time.

Sorry, you were not specific as to what was wrong in this guides configuration settings, just a generic statement that it was bad.  I guess that is two cents , I'm looking for more money info than that!

Anyone else want to comment on the information about the EAC guides on the blowfish.be website?

blowfish.be EAC Guide

Reply #3
I kept searching, but this time used +blowfish.be and +greynol and found this: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry679226

I am not calling you out greynol, I'm really just trying to learn and understand.

If you check for gaps first will that mess anything up?  Or are you just saying that it is an unnecessary step?

And then there is the thing about C2 Error. And yes, the HA guides show how to test for this and suggest that it be enabled if the drive can do this.

blowfish.be EAC Guide

Reply #4
If you check for gaps first will that mess anything up?  Or are you just saying that it is an unnecessary step?

Unnecessary step, unless you want gap information displayed in EAC's main window or in a log file.

And then there is the thing about C2 Error. And yes, the HA guides show how to test for this and suggest that it be enabled if the drive can do this.

Basic rule of thumb is to use C2 in conjunction with either AR or T&C.  My opinion is that it's not as worthwhile for use in EAC unless your drive doesn't cache audio data or can make use of FUA in the event that it does.  The reason for this is essentially based on nothing more than efficiency.  After looking at the wiki articles here and here, the HA recommendation actually is not to use it unless you happen to know that your drive provides reliable information.  The wiki mentions EAC's DAE Quality test to determine if your drive can provide reliable C2 information, though ripping discs with T&C while also paying attention to whether errors are being detected should give you a good idea about this as well.

blowfish.be EAC Guide

Reply #5
Back on the original topic, I recently wrote this:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=715150

That it happened just yesterday is is in part why I'm not interested in spending more time on this.

My sentiments about guides like this can be easily summarized here and here.

blowfish.be EAC Guide

Reply #6
Back on the original topic, I recently wrote this:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=715150

That it happened just yesterday is is in part why I'm not interested in spending more time on this.

My sentiments about guides like this can be easily summarized here and here.

Just wondering if the information on how to use EAC  is correct at blowfish.be?  That is one thing that HA Knowledge Base guides don't go into much detail about and leave the beginner like myself searching for more information is how to actually use EAC. There are quite a few features of EAC that are not covered by HA guides.  You do mention in another post linked above that much of the information in that blowfish.be guide is useful.  If one were to follow exclusively at HA Knowledge Base the setup procedure, would the other parts of using EAC at the blowfish.be site be something worthy of looking over to get an idea of how to use EAC?

blowfish.be EAC Guide

Reply #7
Press the mp3 button, check the AR results.  If all the tracks are verifiable then you're done.

If none of the tracks are verifiable and EAC says you may have a different pressing then check your tracks with CUETools.  If your disc isn't present in the AR database then select all the tracks, press F8 and check that the Read and Test CRCs match.

If only some of the tracks are not verifiable and the confidences of the tracks that are verifiable are in the low single digits then select the tracks that aren't verifiable, press F8 and check that the Read and Test CRCs match.  If they don't match or the tracks that are verified have a confidence higher than in the low single digits then try cleaning the disc and rip them again.  At this point you may wish to try a different drive, or start tweaking EAC settings.  Tweaks include throttling the speed down, switching from burst mode* to secure mode, toggling the C2 pointers setting (if your drive can provide them).

(*) I generally recommend burst mode for caching drives and discs in very good condition.

Perhaps this post will give you some terms which you can use in a search, since this information can be found in discussions all over this forum.

BTW, I see you have a genuine Plextor drive.  You should search this forum and digital-inn for usefua.

would the other parts of using EAC at the blowfish.be site be something worthy of looking over to get an idea of how to use EAC?

I don't know.  Why not compare the information that you've already been given in this discussion and elsewhere with what you think is worthwhile in that site and come back and tell us?