Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: finding offset reference CDs for EAC? (Read 9308 times) previous topic - next topic

finding offset reference CDs for EAC?

so i looked through my entire CD collection and i do have a few reference CD titles, but the print numbers on the inside of the disk dont match up...  what can i do? do i just need to buy a few titles from the reference CD list and hope i get a match? that kinda sucks if thats the case. anyone have any other ideas? should i just not worry about it? are offsets that important anyway?

Reply #1
if you have a fairly popular drive, chances are you can find out what its offset is anyways. They don't tend to vary among different samples of the same drive. If you have a burner with a known write offset you can always make your own to test unknown drives with too.

Reply #2
I would try AccurateRip at http://www.accuraterip.com/ .  You will be a lot more successful with that than with EAC most probably.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #3
Or try EAC and AccurateRip together, available very soon

Reply #4
No need to worry about it. The audio data is error free with or without offset correction, and the tiny missing part is lost wether you correct offsets or not (unless you have a burner that overwrites).

Reply #5
You can make a reference cd by yourself if you have a writer...
read more HERE.

damjang

Reply #6
so i looked through my entire CD collection and i do have a few reference CD titles, but the print numbers on the inside of the disk dont match up...  what can i do? do i just need to buy a few titles from the reference CD list and hope i get a match? that kinda sucks if thats the case. anyone have any other ideas? should i just not worry about it? are offsets that important anyway?

Best idea is to make a EAC test CD with a offset corrected writer such as a Plextor as Plextools reports read/write offsets, once you make a test CD you can be sure the offset of any drive.

Reply #7
NatGun: In case none of the already mentioned possibilities works for you, you can paste a list of the most popular CDs you have here (with 'print numbers'), then someone with offset-corrected drive and one of these CDs can rip a few seconds from the beginning of a track and send it to you. Rip yourself and use EAC "Compare WAVs..." (or a wave editor manually) to find the offset.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #8
Or try EAC and AccurateRip together, available very soon

Spoon, do u have any more details on that. When I last spoke with Andre re this in Nov he said it would be out in early Dec.

Reply #9
You want a reference CD ?

You know your burner's write offset or your read device's read offset correction value ?

Go ahead and burn your own reference CD ... EAC has this neat function which will create an offset test cd that can be universally used ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #10
i have a plextor px-708a 8x dvd burner,  an asus 5224a 52x burner, and a pioneer dvd-120 dvd drive.  anyone know what the offsets are for any of these drives? im gonna try and burn my own reference cd when i get home. 

thanks guys.

Reply #11
How can you determine if your burner supports overwriting into Lead-In and Lead-Out?

I specifically after my burner: Lite-On (LTR-40125S) 40x12x48

I found out that it has a -6 write offset, so overwriting into the lead-out.

The coaster factory database I think has been abandoned, is there another database that has more up to date information?

Thanks

Reply #12
The coaster factory database I think has been abandoned, is there another database that has more up to date information?

The AccurateRip database has a fair number of drives, but I don't know if it's posted on the web in any form; to find the offset for my DRU500A I used dBPowerAMP and AccurateRip, and just removed it afterwards. It's a fairly problem-free install/uninstall.

This does, actually, sound like exactly the kind of thing that HA might want to incorporate in the Knowledgebase...?

Reply #13
You can get other offset databases, as well as a method to detect the overreading abilities in the FAQ

Reply #14
Well I know my drive's write offset (-6) But does that mean it CAN write into the Lead In/Out?

I don't think so? So how does someone determine if the writer can write in the leadin/out?

Reply #15
Set the write offset, generate a white noise with a noise editor, and burn it. Then rip it with offset correction and overread. If it is identical to the original, then your drives perfectly overread, and overwrite.
Instead of a white noise, you can use any wave file, but without a single silent sample at the end or at the beginning.

Reply #16
i have a plextor px-708a 8x dvd burner,  an asus 5224a 52x burner, and a pioneer dvd-120 dvd drive.  anyone know what the offsets are for any of these drives? im gonna try and burn my own reference cd when i get home. 

thanks guys.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=188363"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In case you don't already have it. Here's the info for the PX-708A:

Brand: Plextor
Model/Type: PX-708A DVR+-RW
Firmware: 1.07
Accurate Stream: Yes
Audio Caching: Yes
C2 Error Retrieval: Yes
Read Command: D8
Read Offset Correction: +30
Overreading into Lead-In and Lead-Out: Yes
Read CD-TEXT Information: Yes
Gap/Index Retrieval Method: Detection Method A
Gap Detection Accuracy: Secure
EAC Write: Yes
Write Offset: -30
Overwriting into Lead-In and Lead-Out:  Yes
Write UPC/ISRC Information: Yes
Write CD-TEXT Information: Yes
Average EAC Reading Speed: 2.4X (no C2) 3.4 (with C2)
Foobar 9.6.9, FLAC 1.2.1b, EAC 0.99 pb 5
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Reply #17
would try AccurateRip at http://www.accuraterip.com/ . You will be a lot more successful with that than with EAC most probably.

That pretty much depends on where one lives. EAC is a 'German' program; so for me the EAC key discs make absolutely no problem, since the CDs are from Andre and his friends, probably bought in Germany.
Vice versa, nearly none of the accuraterip CDs match with our CDs here.
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?

Reply #18
That pretty much depends on where one lives. EAC is a 'German' program; so for me the EAC key discs make absolutely no problem, since the CDs are from Andre and his friends, probably bought in Germany.
Vice versa, nearly none of the accuraterip CDs match with our CDs here.

Even more of a reason to configure it and submit some German CD pressings - help your country!  - I think EAC had something like 60 'key discs', AccurateRip has something like 11,000  it would seem odd if there were less than 60 german pressings, but possible I suppose.

Reply #19

thanks guys.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=227137"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can confirm that these settings are indeed correct (I also have the PX-708A), but my ripping speed is a lot higher than that! I can't give you exact numbers, but it's more like 5.5X - 11.0X without C2, and 7.7X - 14.0X with C2.
Do you have DMA disabled, or do you encode on-the-fly perhaps?
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #20
EAC does NOT detect the read command correctly for Plextor drives. The correct read command is MMC1, and not D8. With D8, I've had EAC abort ripping with a read error on some CDs when everything extracted just fine (without multiple re-reads, even!) with MMC1.

Reply #21

thanks guys.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=227137"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can confirm that these settings are indeed correct (I also have the PX-708A), but my ripping speed is a lot higher than that! I can't give you exact numbers, but it's more like 5.5X - 11.0X without C2, and 7.7X - 14.0X with C2.
Do you have DMA disabled, or do you encode on-the-fly perhaps?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=227482"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nope, I check the DMA setting and that is fine. No encoding on the fly. Just straight ripping to WAV's.
I am using secure mode with all three sub-options selected, extraction priority "Normal". Should I maybe be using "fast" extraction?  I'm not sure what other options would affect the reading speed. I am using Firmware version 1.07 if that helps.

I'm also curious if different format of CD's can result in lowered speeds.  Do you always get these higher speeds? Where is your speed reported?

Also not sure if the CPU makes a huge difference but I have a 1.4 Mhz celeron on an old 100Mhz bus Dell Dimension.

Now you've got me concerned 
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Reply #22
EAC does NOT detect the read command correctly for Plextor drives. The correct read command is MMC1, and not D8. With D8, I've had EAC abort ripping with a read error on some CDs when everything extracted just fine (without multiple re-reads, even!) with MMC1.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=227595"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How did you find out that MMC1 is the read code to use?
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Reply #23
I am using secure mode with all three sub-options selected, extraction priority "Normal". Should I maybe be using "fast" extraction?  I'm not sure what other options would affect the reading speed. I am using Firmware version 1.07 if that helps.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My setup is 100% identical to yours: 1.07 firmware, secure mode with all three options enabled, normal priority, ... and I use the default EAC options for everything else. I don't know of any option that will speed up the extraction.

I'm also curious if different format of CD's can result in lowered speeds.  Do you always get these higher speeds? Where is your speed reported?

I get these numbers with new or nearly-new, unprotected discs. When the discs are scratched or copy-protected, my speeds are lower of course.

I just ripped the latest Slipknot CD (Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses), and here is a screenshot:
[a href="http://users.skynet.be/bk343709/Images/ripped.png]http://users.skynet.be/bk343709/Images/ripped.png[/url]

This CD holds about 60 minutes of music. For a 80-minute CD, the maximum speed will of course be higher (that's where I get the 14.0X from).

Also not sure if the CPU makes a huge difference but I have a 1.4 Mhz celeron on an old 100Mhz bus Dell Dimension.

My CPU is faster (2533MHz P4 at 2850Mhz/600MHz FSB), but I don't think it should make that much difference. If you have DMA enabled, the CPU usage should be really low. How much CPU usage do you have while ripping?

Now you've got me concerned 

Sorry, I'm afraid I can't really explain this difference myself.

Edit: As a side note, that Slipknot CD has an album gain of -11.4 (!) and clips like hell. Ouch.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #24
How did you find out that MMC1 is the read code to use?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=227719"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very simple: extraction is generally slower with D8 and often aborts with read errors. MMC1 is a more generic command AFAIK, but it works much better with both Plextors (the Premium and the PX-712) here.
Give MMC1 a try, that should speed up your ripping some. Another thing to remember is that upon insertion Plextor drives thoroughly analyze discs and determine optimal read speed, thus  poorly recorded/manufactured, dirty and unbalanced discs will be read at lower speeds.