Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 5 Alpha 1! :o (Read 32915 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 5 Alpha 1! :o

Reply #25
well tried out the acc encoding, its ABR, at least it seems, does not move much though, uses both idv1 and idv2 tags as well

Gah. These $&%#! are already borking the format.

Too bad they decided to use AAC bitstream format instead of MP4.  MP4 is much more flexible and allows many advanced things like easy streaming, etc...

Also, putting ID3 tags is a very stupid thing  IMHO.  Now we could end up in dozens of quasi-standards attached to an AAC file, and a confusion what AAC actually is.

Ivan, I hope you or Menno (I think you 2 are the only guys with enough authority that the nullsoft devs actually listen), go to winamp-forum, and raise this issue up, explain why they shouldn't use id3-tags etc..
I'm almost seeing Nullsoft messing up the MP4/AAC "scene" quite a lot with these stupid decisions.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #26
and if you are using LAME, at least add --aps to the options... -r3mix pfft
Chaintech AV-710

Reply #28
YAAAY!  They fixed the only bug that really ever bothered me about W/A.

As menial as this may seem...  The inability (in W/A 2.9x) for the Media Library to properly display UTF-8/Unicode/UTF-Latin or whatever the format type is for special characters in Vorbis comments.  I just tried reloading a Björk album to the Library, and the artist name and track titles didn't come out all mangled as they always did before (along with every other special character).

Finally, my search for a player that meets all of my criteria is over (for now...)

Now, if they can just get MilkDrop smoothed out.  (Works, but a slight-bit blocky on all settings I've tried so far, and my PC has *plenty* of video processing power/resolution, so it shouldn't be a hardware/driver limitation.)  Not that I use visualizations often, but it would be nice to have something different than AVS to port to the plasma monitor when I plug into people's home theater systems when DJ'ing parties and what-not (though AVS is still cool...)

Reply #29
Yes. They are using ADTS AAC, but still, the only way to reliably seek such files is reading the entire file first.

As I understand it, they don't use MP4 because it's a competitor to their own borky container format, NSV :B

Idiots. Seems like they don't know what's good anyway

Just a wild guess, but aren't ID tags in an AAC bit stream in violation of the standard?

Of course they are.

Which means that if they use the same MPEG-4 AAC license everyone else uses, they are breaking the license since it AFAIK only allows activities in accordance with the standard.

Reply #31
hmm. as I understood, the inclusion of an aac encoder is not definitive. there has been this aac encoder in older internal betas as well, but was removed for the official release and replaced with the ogg encoder (a mp3 encoder was offered to download on winampheaven optionally). as these encoders jump in with the new ripping abilities of winamp, not many people will use them anyway. because the winamp ripper is very basic and not full-featured in any way.

the aac playback of the in_mp3.dll jumps in for streaming purposes only. if you install the faad in_mp4 there shouldn't be any problems with winamp and aac.

just relax, it isn't even official.

Reply #32
I found two interesting things about WA5's AAC decoding support, when compared to faad2 (in_mp4).

- It still does not support 56-bit MPEG-4 ADTS headers (it expects old 58-bit headers for MPEG-4 streams)
- It seems to support, or at least tolerate standalone HE AAC files (faad2 plays these at half the speed) -- probably not taking advantage of the SBR part

Reply #33
Foobar is better then winamp 

If you like winamp that much, why not get the winamp skin for foobar 

Reply #34
just one word for jen

USE LINUX!

and all together: Linux, Linux, foobar, Linux, foobar,...

I like these informative comments...

Reply #35
I'll point the beta list to the concerns about aac/mp4 expressed in this thread.  The forums aren't very useful for getting the devs' attention, most of them never look at the forums.  Since this build is an alpha and leaked, we're not offering any help to users who get it.  I'd say it's still too early to start discussing what's wrong with it anyway.  They're aware it still needs a lot of work in most new/updated areas.

-=Gonzotek=-
Please Keep Our Forum Clean!

Reply #36

Where?
My sound hardware: Creative's Audigy 2 ;)
My music encodings: Nero AAC Codec 2.6.2.0 Profiles:Transparent,Extreme

Reply #37
Why do we have this rather schizophrenic cut'n'shut Winamp 5? What was nullsoft's motivation? listening to your customers is one thing, but their time would have been better spent optimising Winamp3 to be faster, sleeker, better, and generally address peoples gripes, rather than strap it onto Winamp2's backend. God knows what this must be like internally.

Reply #38

Where?

Download from Here!

How to make it work help Here 

Reply #39
just one word for jen

USE LINUX!

That looks like two works

Reply #40
do plugins from wa2 work with wa5 alpha?

Reply #41
Ivan, I hope you or Menno (I think you 2 are the only guys with enough authority that the nullsoft devs actually listen), go to winamp-forum, and raise this issue up, explain why they shouldn't use id3-tags etc..
I'm almost seeing Nullsoft messing up the MP4/AAC "scene" quite a lot with these stupid decisions.

Tried that... not much luck I guess.

Menno

Reply #43
HAHA! It was taking too long for a foobar zealot to storm in.

I was starting to wonder, "where are they?"

Reply #44
Still buggy... When scrolling in the playlist (using wheel mouse) the volume also get scrolled... Do you experience this bug also?

Reply #45
Still buggy... When scrolling in the playlist (using wheel mouse) the volume also get scrolled... Do you experience this bug also?

No.

On my PC Winamp 5 behaves almost like Winamp2. Just a few cosmetical glitches.

Reply #46
hmm. despite this aac "issue", I like what I see.
winamp3 skins do apply, some with glitches (wrong font sizes...), some next to perfection.
I like my WA2 (sorry 5) with the MMD3 skin.

some work still to do with Winamp3 skins:
- kbps and mono/stereo do not show up
- EQ doesn't work
- the color themes selection doesn't appear in the skin (but in the menues)

hmm. other observations:
- the WA2 base skin seems to have new bold fonts for displaying the song titles
- the preferences menues are tidied up
- milkdrop is included in addition to the usual AVS
- the minibrowser is integrated into the library, if you select a radio station for streaming, it optionally shows the radio station website ("Now Playing")
- even with winamp3 skins applied it is faster than version 3, and - as usual - stable as a rock
- no signs of any burning capabilities could be found

Reply #47
Why do we have this rather schizophrenic cut'n'shut Winamp 5? What was nullsoft's motivation? listening to your customers is one thing, but their time would have been better spent optimising Winamp3 to be faster, sleeker, better, and generally address peoples gripes, rather than strap it onto Winamp2's backend. God knows what this must be like internally.

not a big deal. they used Winamp 2 and included a plugin for winamp 3 skins. the skins weren't written in wasabi (nullsofts own framework), but in MAKI (something xml-like, I think). so they took their Maki-interpreting code written in wasabi and ported it to a c++ plugin. so no mess happened.

and again: for a pre-alpha, which wasn't intended for public views, it's great. better than some final versions by others.

Reply #48

I *believe* (didn't try this at home) that you need the Veritas Px engine installed to use the burning engine. At least, that's how it worked with that CD burning plugin once available for Winamp2.

http://www.prassieurope.com/

Reply #49

I *believe* (didn't try this at home) that you need the Veritas Px engine installed to use the burning engine. At least, that's how it worked with that CD burning plugin once available for Winamp2.

http://www.prassieurope.com/

Yeah, but that particular burning plugin (seems to be no longer available at classic.winamp.com?) you were restricted to WAV or MP3 files, and the maximum burnable length was just under 74 minutes. I sincerely hope they go a different route - such as hacking a way to pipe any format through CDRDAO via a true CUE sheet - if Justin & Co. are adding burning support in Winamp 5.

- M.

Edit: Clarification.