Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Status bar feature requests [was: "new betas are coming but..."] (Read 5057 times) previous topic - next topic

Status bar feature requests [was: "new betas are coming but..."]

New 1.4 betas are coming, they fix bugs, add improvements and are generally welcome but they still miss one highly sought-after feature:
- counter of selected tracks, next to total time of selection... As an optionally visible information, similarly to total time and volume un dB.

This is really frustrating, that I had to open Preferences each time I just want to count tracks in selection. Track times are so brilliantly and quickly summed up, why tracks can't be just counted?

Re: New betas are coming but 1 sought-after feature is still missing...

Reply #1
Hm ... what other than "Items selected" here (just above the selection duration) do you really mean?

Reply #2
^ That only works if you have Prefer current selection option enabled. In my case I use Prefer currently playing track and that won't work when music is playing. But total time of selection in status bar works regardless of what selection method is chosen.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #3
Thanks - I took a fresh portable to eliminate all my configurations ... But was I supposed to get total time of selection in the status bar then?

But the point is maybe the other way around: a request for a %selection_numberofitems% and %selection_length% for title formatting then?

Reply #4
OK guys, let me explain my wishes visually, using one of the most advanced graphic manipulation programs:

In my first post I was not clear enough to say, that I want it in status bar, where total time of selection and volume reside right now. It's not the first time when I am asking about it, so I was under false impression, that it is clear, but it wasn't.

Reply #5
I don't know if they'll ever add in that feature, but in the mean time, you can right-click and go to properties, and it shows the number of tracks in the titlebar.

Reply #6
Lol, you are ridiculous. This is what I want to avoid - multiple properties window opening when I am changing selection... I said that clearly in first post.

Reply #7
Preferences is not the same thing as Properties.
Not that clearly...

Reply #8
Hah, my mistake, you're right :-)
Anyway, now everything should be clear - what, where, why.

Reply #9
Added in latest beta 14.  8)
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #10

Reply #11
@Peter, I never think to how busy you may be and I forget to drop a line, if you select a lot of music that new feature doesn't show. Thanks.

Reply #12
OK, the box will be made wider.
Other than that, what do you think about getting rid of the weeks part and just showing how many days of music you have? It fit more text in less space without dropping much of significant information I think.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #14
what do you think about getting rid of the weeks part and just showing how many days of music you have? It fit more text in less space without dropping much of significant information I think.
As long as you don't remove the week in "DURING LAST 6 WEEKS" queries :-o

The presence of a "wk" highlights that a selection has more than seven days, and thus prevents me from misreading "11 days" as one day or "111 days" as eleven.  No big deal to me. (There must be people whose fb2k library need four digits for days though.)

Reply #15
I kind of like to see weeks there, no idea why.

Reply #16
OK, the box will be made wider.
Other than that, what do you think about getting rid of the weeks part and just showing how many days of music you have? It fit more text in less space without dropping much of significant information I think.

Dear Peter,
Many, many thanks for this :) . Simply brilliant :)

Personally I would prefer to not have the weeks part in this particular element of foobar's UI. Just days would be fine for me. But it doesn't matter much here, as when I look there, I am not selecting more than let's say 200 tracks, mostly 10-30, so I would rarely hit days counter. If I select whole playlists (and thus hit weeks), it means that I am concerned only on mass metadata cleanup, and total time/number of tracks in such selection are not important. That's just my very subjective point of view.

Reply #17
sorry, but I think this new behavior very annoying. I don't want to see (1) behind the duration when I play a track....

Reply #18
Yeah, it would be nice if it could be another option to switch on or off along with show volume, show selected tracks etc., i.e. it could have its own space along that bottom strip/status bar, if wanted.

Reply #19
It works only when the song is selected, if you change tabs, even while it's playing, that number goes away.

Re: Status bar feature requests [was: "new betas are coming but..."]

Reply #20
Beta 15 out.

Separate field has been added, I hope everyone is now happy.

That said, I will not be adding any more new features for v1.4, but further change ideas for post-v1.4 are welcome.

Reply #21
The box is not wider, was is resized already in beta 15?

I mean the "Show total duration of selected tracks".

And thanks for adding the separate box.

Reply #23
Indeed not wider... I went for separating the tracks field so I left duration box as it was before. I'll change it to account for double-digit week count.

Reply #24
Indeed not wider... I went for separating the tracks field so I left duration box as it was before. I'll change it to account for double-digit week count.

Hi peter, I think you may also want to address the volume part: currently if the volume is two digit it will be cut off:

(It was introduced with the newest beta. I tried to change status bar font, result is the same.)

(Also kinda off-topic, it looks like http://foobar2000.org/changelog is half broken)