Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Solid, durable, well-built mouse (Read 6439 times) previous topic - next topic

Solid, durable, well-built mouse

Reply #25
I dont know - the function keys are interesting for linux-use, yes, but for my taste, they are too much near the "normal" keys (i mean the function keys on the left and right side). Of course they should not be as far away as they are on some other multimedia-keyboards, but a minor cue should be there. Its one of the main reasons why i dislike "normal" notebook keyboards - because the keys are so cramped together without any cues left. I would prefer a slightly wider keyboard/notebook if that means that i can actually use it with acceptable speed(thats probably one of the reasons why i would by a thinkpad).
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #26
Well, it might be a problem if you have big hands, I suppose.

BTW, maybe this interests you for your retro pub!

Reply #27
Almost, currently, i'm considering to order some of the good old QuickJoys from the C64-era for use in emulators. Last time i checked (a few months ago) commodore did still sell them ;-)

Reply #28
I've bought the cherry m5000 as well - first impressions:

what i like:
- optimal feedback concerning button-clicking - you clearly notice when clicking a button but at the same time it does not take too much effort
- no drivers necessary
- the optical sensor is accurate and reliable
- although i was using a completelly differently shaped mouse before, it only took me 20mins to get fully used to this mouse.
- although the mouse is designed so that it can be used left as well as right-handed, it's very ergonomically shaped - every single finger has a optimal "rest"-position
- reliable middleclicking without accidentelly rolling the wheel
- its cheap (11-14euros usually)

what i dislike:
- the mousewheel is too sturdy for my taste and requires too much effort to roll it. I dont know yet if this may be a case of "it needs to be in use for a while to become better"
- the mouse is a bit too lightweight for my taste - i'd like it to be a bit more heavy
- its colored dark-grey instead of black (hey, i had to find one more disadvantage ;)

Reply #29
Okay, after having used it for a week, here's a more detailed review on the m5000 (ratings go from 1(worst) to 5(perfect)):

The two main buttons:
While the buttons of most nowadays mice have got a high-pitched click and high sensivity, the m5000 has a soft but clearly noticable low-pitched click. The buttons are not as sensitive as those of other mice, but they also dont require too much force. You can safely rest your fingers on them without accidentelly clicking, but need to clearly "click" them. The feedback when clicking is clear and instant. The buttons seem more sturdy and robust that those of other mice. I made another observation of which i am not absolutely sure if its by design or a coincidence. Although the mouse is symmetrical(so for left as well as right hand use), the left mouse button seems to be a bit more "soft"... so while your fingers rest on it, you will be a bit more "near the trigger" with the left button, than with the right. To check if its by design, i opened the mouse and noticed that both buttons do not use the same kind of switches. This does not make the mouse unsuited for left-handed use, but with games, you will have a minor "edge" if you're right-handed........ rating: 5.0

The scrollwheel:
Very sturdy, accurate and reliable. It definatelly requires a "wear-in"-phase to become usable, because right after taking the mouse out of the package the mousewheel requires alot of force to be scrolled(the exact opposite of most other mice). After about 50-60hours of use, it becomes more easy and IMHO almost optimal. Because of the robust built-quality of the wheel as well as clear "steps", it is no problem to "click" the wheel without accidentelly scrolling it. The placement of the wheel is also a little bit "higher" than with other mice, which i consider an advantage(i always disliked the too "integrated" placement of the wheel with other mice)....... rating: 4.0

The shape:
It's very ergonomically shaped although it is usable by left as well as right-handed users. It is also a bit "longer" than most other similiar mice, which means that you can completely rest your hand on it. While not an "instant-at-home" shape, i completely adapted to it in about 20mins. The reason why its not instant is because although the shape is symmetrical, it has resting-positions for every single finger - thats great, but other mice dont have that, so it requires a few mins to "get it". My opinion is that it's *almost* the perfect shape for a "symmetrical" mouse..... therefore the rating: 4.5

The materials:
The feeling of using it is comfortable, because of the already known "soft touch" surface, which feels soft yet still can be cleaned easily. However, the mouse for my taste is too lightweight. Its not horrible, but with a mouse of this kind i would have expected this thing to have robust surface-contact instead of just "gliding" over the surface. It just doesn't fit to this mouse, because although it overally feels "sturdy, reliable and just works", in terms of weight it feels like a cheap plastic toy. Well, yes, other mice in that pricerange are the same, but i choosed this one because i wanted something different.......... rating: 2.0

Accuracy:
Just works reliable - neither bad nor deluxe....... rating: 4.0

Software-compatibility:
Although a CD is in the package, it requires no drivers for any of its features(that also goes for linux). An USB->PS2-adapter is included....... rating: 5.0

Visuals:
Its low profile and not fancy. No "blinking" during the night because of no transluscent parts(except of the wheel which glows red). Although the specs say "black", it is not black but instead "dark-grey". The shape clearly had its design-priority on being comfortable instead of looking cool........ rating: 4.0 if you like low-profile hardware / 1.0 if you like your hardware to be fancy eye-candy

Price:
aprox 12euro for the retail-version. Very low for such a mouse......... rating: 5.0

Summary:
If
- you need a cheap, comfortable and reliable mouse which just works
- 3 buttons are enough for you
- you dont care much about eye-candy / you prefer low-profile design
- you can live with a lightweight mouse

then the m5000 is for you.