Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Musepack SV8 beta (Read 30893 times) previous topic - next topic

Musepack SV8 beta

Download

Winamp plugin included.
--------------------

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #1
The latest version is here

Keep in mind that the encoder binary is not as optimized as in the official beta package. This archive has an updated mpcdec which I advise to use instead of the older one.
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #2
Oh. nice. Haven't been around for quite some time.

I think I'm gonna start by writing a nice DirectShow filter for SV8.
Be right back.

Igor
have the force, read the source

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #3
By the way. I have established a small blog website to publish some free tools and software which I try to update on a regular basis so to stay up to date you can visit this website from time to time.

http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/

Igor.
have the force, read the source

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #4
Those mpcenc.exe compiles do nothing on my pentium3/500/xp machine. Fb2k converter makes no progress and tells about 0.00x speed. CPU is idling. The last compile which works here is from 11-13-2006.

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #5
What do you mean by "Those mpcenc.exe compiles"? I tested the one from musepack_bin_20071201.zip as well as the official SV8 mpcenc on a P3@800 Mhz with Windows XP and there's no problem. What parameters do you use for mpcenc in foobar?

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #6
Hmm. I tested both mpcenc.exe from the zip's above. I renamed them to mppenc.exe and put it into the fb2k directory. I used the fb2k (latest beta) internal slider setting q(8) for musepack, which is:

Encoder: mppenc.exe
Command line: "--silent --xlevel --quality 8 - %d"

In fb2k advanced preferences I set the converter priority to 6, same result. Ugh, same with my pentium 4 machine. I reckon something in fb2k's internal musepack command line does not work with the latest compiles...

EDIT: It works without the "--xlevel"

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #7
If anyone finds other issues with SV8 playback (or encoding), please post about it. We're interested in fixing and finalizing the specs ASAP

Happy New Year

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #8
Latest build using GCC for Windows is here .
~

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #9
Thanks
--------------------

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #10
Just tried the SV8 for the first time, and I was surprised to notice that the encoding speed was actually slower than with the previous SV7 build. I used the one from the pack named "musepack_bin_20071201.zip", since the link to the newer one that Antonski posted is dead.

I'm on XP Pro, and my processor is Intel's Core2Duo E7300. I got ~37x speed with the older SV7 version, but ~33x with the SV8 one.

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #11
I have been using musepak a few years ago and was surprised about the quality.
but now, lame and aac is on a high quality level and musepak hasnt got much support.

there is no need to use it anymore.
developers of musepack should try to code a free or open source aac-encoder.
dont waste your time on musepak.
its death.

just look at this forum. there were only a few new topics related to musepak, the last year.

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #12
Sure, there's generally no need to use any specific format, since there are many alternatives, but why shouldn't musepack be used? It's still a great format.

Besides, even if this was just a project of a couple of guys trying to code something resembling an audio codec, why would you care? Do you have a reason to degrade musepack?

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #13
Just tried the SV8 for the first time, and I was surprised to notice that the encoding speed was actually slower than with the previous SV7 build. I used the one from the pack named "musepack_bin_20071201.zip", since the link to the newer one that Antonski posted is dead.

I'm on XP Pro, and my processor is Intel's Core2Duo E7300. I got ~37x speed with the older SV7 version, but ~33x with the SV8 one.

You can try some newer build, although I doubt it will be faster. Since the format is not finalized, I guess it is not optimized for speed yet.
Anyway, the speed is not the most important with Musepack, isn't it?

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #14
Why it is impossible to transcode Musepack SV8 in MP3, WAV and other formats?
The coding device gives out an error...

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #15
Why it is impossible to transcode Musepack SV8 in MP3, WAV and other formats?
The coding device gives out an error...

What coding device?
There is no problem with Foobar2000, MusicBee and Xrecode. Maybe you try to utilize some older software that doesn't support SV8.

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #16
Foobar has not wanted to work with SV8.
I used MuseDrop +mpc decoder. It decoded mpc SV8 to Wav for 1 second. 
Musedrop well works with SV7 and with last versions SV8

Musepack SV8 beta

Reply #17
Foobar2K supports SV8 decoding since v0.9.4.5 and chapters support since v0.9.6.1.
In fact, it was the first player supporting the new stream version (except the unofficial winamp plugin from musepack dev team).
In order to use FB for encoding to musepack, you should set the path to mpcenc.exe, I guess.
Maybe you have a n older version of Foobar2K anyway.