Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC now can play on iPod (Read 126559 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC now can play on iPod

Eric Wong has gotten FLAC playing on his iPod with ipodlinux and MPD.

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac/2005-...ary/000375.html

Even though it can't keep up with LPC frames this is a big breakthrough, probably writing one simple function in asm for the ARM will do it (FLAC__lpc_restore_signal). 

Josh

Reply #1
Very cool... I would love to do this on my 3G Ipod!

I followed the links provided but I don't understand a thing on the other Web sites

I will have to wait until someone makes this simple enough for a non-coder like me to do.

John

Reply #2
iPodLinux works, but isn't at the stage where I'd recommend non-coders using it yet. The problem is that the current implementation is really underutilizing the second processor and a good method to use it for things has not yet been devised. You could make it do anything, in theory, but only in the kernel code. I think most people would prefer not to hardcode it to decode audio only. Not me though, I'm all about hardcoding it.

Still, there's a long way to go there. And really optimal audio decoding code hasn't been found yet for a lot of formats. Needs more work. Give it a year and then it'll be interesting for non-coders.

Reply #3
very cool, but I would imagine that batterylife may be measured in minutes not hours.
I have more money invested in audio/music/sound than in my car and I'm still not convinced I'm not deaf.

And yeah I know I can't spell.

Reply #4
very cool, but I would imagine that batterylife may be measured in minutes not hours.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270462"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good point. It would probably be as bad as using ALAC.

Reply #5

a little shorter life because of extra disk access, maybe.  so I asked: http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac/2005-...ary/000387.html

the short answer: >= 2 hours

with recent optimizations, even flac -8 files are playing.  when we have an ARM version of that one routine there will be plenty of headroom.

Josh

Reply #6
Good point. It would probably be as bad as using ALAC.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270467"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think ALAC (apple lossless encoder?) is better optimized at the moment 

Reply #7
Good point. It would probably be as bad as using ALAC.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270467"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think ALAC (apple lossless encoder?) is better optimized at the moment  [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270693"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have an ipod... what's the total battery life playing ALAC?

Josh

Reply #8

Josh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=270713"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

By browsing ipodlounge.com, it seems people are getting between 6-8 hours depending on settings etc.

Reply #9

Josh

From this post the battery time with Apple Lossless seems very good.
Here is the test you have all been waiting for. Well it took me about 24 hours anyway. I won't be listening to DSOTM for a long while after a whole day of nothing but that. AIFF's battery time was 7 hours and 30 minutes and AL's time was 6 hours. Pink Floyd's DSOTM was ripped to AIFF and AL and iPod was set to repeat all until low battery shutdown. iPod was fully charged before each test. Headphone used was Koss KSC50 (didn't want to tied up my Ety 4S ) and volume level was at 50% mark.
Source: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70985

The thread is from april 2004, so it must have been a gen. 3 iPod. Which by Apple have 8 hour battery time, not 12 as the current models.

Reply #10
I get about 6 hours using Apple Lossless and about 7 to 8 hours using mp3.

John

Reply #11
interesting.  Eric stopped the first FLAC test after 2 hours.  he said this weekend he'll try leaving it playing until the battery died.  I'll post his results here.

Josh

Reply #12
Interesting stuff... Any news since Feb Josh?