Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to configure foo_dsd_asio (Read 19494 times) previous topic - next topic

How to configure foo_dsd_asio

Hi All,

I am new to digital music and I am puzzled with Foobar technical settings. I'd like to know what are the appropriate basic parameters - to match my Teac UD-501 (capable of playing DSD files).

This means several questions ; please be indulgent, I am worried that I may be using wrong settings...Your anwers may help other people using the same devices.

1 - First of all in spite of the nice that help I got elsewhere in this Forum (thanks again), i am still unsure if in the "Output / device" window, I should chose ASIO: foo_dsd_asio, or ASIO : TEAC ASIO USB DRIVER, or anything else ? - there are many in the drop down menu.

2 - In the Output/Asio section, I have two items : foo_dsd_asio (it's v07.1.2) and TEAC ASIO USB DRIVERS.

- Just for my information, which one is actually being used when playing a file ?
- Should the box "run with high process priority" be checked (I don't mind if my CPU is very busy processing the music) ?
- When double clicking on foo_dsd_asio, the window says : ASIO driver: TEAC ASIO USB DRIVER - is that correct ?
- DSD playback method should be "asio native" or else ?
- I have set DSD to DSD, and PCM to DSD, to "none" (assuming that the TEAC circuits do it), is it right ? I suppose in that case that the two "Fs" boxes don't matter, neither do the "DSD/PCM transition" box ?
- By double clicking the TEAC ASIO USB DRIVER device, I have only the buffer size, set to 2048 samples... is this OK ?

3 - Last but not least, the Tools/SACD page is a mystery for me:

For Asio driver mode, I selected DSD, as it seems logical to me.
I kept PCM volume to 0dB
I set PCM sample rate to 176400
DSD to PCM mode (what's the use of this...? downgrading the quality ?), I have Multistage (floating point) - supposing that my Dell/Intel i5 2,27 GHz with 4 Giga Ram can stand that ?

I realise that my questions are many and I would be very grateful if I could have some reassurance on some key settings.

Many thanks indeed.

Reply #1
hi
foobar is very confusing,i know.
here are the settings for my fostex hp a4 usb dsd dac and it works perfect.

output: foo-dsd-asio
asio: click on foo-dsd-asio and chose teac usb driver (buffersize 2048 it's ok)

dsd playback method:asio native or dop, look in the teac manual

dsd to dsd:none means direct playback

sdm type a-d:are digital sound filters plus upsampling!when you play a dsd64 file and you chose  in the fs box dsd64=digital filter only is working,when you play the same file and you chose dsd128 =digital filter+upsampling to dsd128.

pcm to dsd:converting/upsampling  pcm/flac/wave to dsd .Chose one of the sdm filters and in the 2.fs box set the upsampling resolution to dsd64 or dsd128

Tools/sacd: asio Driver to dsd. the other settings and filters are  for dsd to pcm conversion.you don't need them.

that's all what i did.

greets dsd

greets dsd

Reply #2
Hi, DSD,

Thank you for your prompt response.

For output, I chose foo_dsd_asio device, as you said... but in that case some files cannot be played, and foobar says : "Unrecoverable playback error: Sample rate of 48000 Hz not supported by this device".

The file is as follows :

duration : 4:25.930 (12 764 662 samples)
sample rate : 48,000 Hz
channels : 2
bit per sample : 24
bitrate 1828 kbps
codec : Flac
encoding : lossless
Embedded cuesheet: no
Tool : reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917
Audio MD5 : 9225AAA91D0C56CD09B40C75B20B2409

By the way, TEAC says : "This unit connects using high-speed asynchronous mode. Transmittable sampling frequencies are 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz. When properly connected, you will be able to select "TEAC USB HS ASYNC AUDIO" as an audio output from the computer OS."

Well, this is still not very clear to me as you can see... But thank you again, anyway your help is appreciated.

Reply #3
hi ziggyziggy

i did the same with my fostex and had the same error.

asio drivers:click on foo-dsd, in the pcmtodsd box and change to none,now you can play the flac file.

upsampling/converting 48khz pcm/wave/ flac to DSD is only supported by few dacs. why? read this:      http://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/digita...dummies-part-2/

about the dac Driver i don't now,but when ist working,don't care.

greetz dsd

Reply #4
Thanks : yes, it works fine with this setting for all files.

I am actually curious, so I tried with TEAC ASIO USB AUDIO, and realised that for some files it simply won't play them  - files at 2,8 Mhz sample rate 14112 kbps, 24 Bit/sample, Codec DST 64 (of course lossless).
And, very bizarre, when playing this kind of files (with foo_dsd_asio) the volume cursor doesn't work, output level is constant.

What do you think ?..

Reply #5
hi ziggyziggy
fine that it's working!
where did you change the Driver?in asio Driver section?
because dst is the lossles compressed format of diff/dsf files and only foobar can extract/convert it on the fly!thats why you need foo-dsd asio
the teac dac  can't do this.dst is made for sacd to store the cd/dsd layer in Stereo and multichannel on one disc only.
vu-meter,volume cursor it's not working in dsd mode, thats normal.anyway volume up to max it's the best. control the volume level with the dac and amp.
looks like your file is multichannel(14112kbs),in Stereo you will not hear the full sound,chance in sacd/ preferable area from none to Stereo,now foobar plays only stereo files.

greets dsd

Reply #6
I changed it in the Output section, since it's the only place where I have a choice.
In the Asio section, i have the two devices listed, but I can' chose one or the other, I can only adjust parameters for each.

If I undertsand well, I need the foo driver if I want to play all files, including DSD and DST/diff/dfs files... not possible with the Teac driver. When I read all the good reviews about the Teac my understansing was that it could play everything... apparently not.

Is there a chance that for DSD files specifically, the Teac driver could be better than the foo_dsd_asio ?

Reply #7
hi
not with foobar.did you try the Player from the teac webside?
maybe it works.

Reply #8
hi ziggyziggy

for better sq you must optimise computer's soft/Hardware.

here are some links:http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/computer-setup/
                            http://www.windowsxlive.net/fidelizer/
                            http://www.highend-audiopc.com/optimizer.html(read the Manual,its made for AO,but you can read a lot about computeraudio-Tuning in General)
                            http://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html
first 2 are for free.

this Forum is for Computer Audio only:http://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum/

good luck in the search of the ultimate Sound!

greetz DSD

Reply #9
Hi DSD,

Thank you for the suggestions.
I actually tried to use Teac Player but it is very limited (basically it just plays files) and I was not comfortable with it. I just uninstalled it.

The computer optimisers are an interesting path. Still also a question mark for me : I understand the principle, but can't really understand what they actually do in the computer and/or, more importantly in their interaction with foobar...
Once again I have a hard time figuring out how each "player", "device", "plug-in", "driver", "component" (etc) interacts with each other in the signal processing - I am not knowledgeable enough. So I tend to keep it (as) simple (as possible), whilst ensuring that the basic settings are OK, especially for high-definition files -otherwise all that stuff is a waste.

I have found  these pages, too technical for me, about the Teac UD501, you may find it interesting  :
http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/05/measu...erformance.html

I will try to get more familiar with it before trying. But thanks to your advice, I am pleased with foobar for the moment...even though there are lots of things that I don't understand !

All in all, I would find it useful to have a sort of "tutorial" post about settings of foobar with the main recent DACs.

Reply #10
The computer optimisers are an interesting path. Still also a question mark for me : I understand the principle, but can't really understand what they actually do in the computer and/or, more importantly in their interaction with foobar...
Those programs are dangerous crapware you should not use at all. In the best case they do nothing to your audio, likely they will make audio playback glitchy, and in worst case they will destabilize your system. There is no reason to use them.

Once again I have a hard time figuring out how each "player", "device", "plug-in", "driver", "component" (etc) interacts with each other in the signal processing - I am not knowledgeable enough. So I tend to keep it (as) simple (as possible), whilst ensuring that the basic settings are OK, especially for high-definition files -otherwise all that stuff is a waste.
The default foobar2000 settings are perfectly suited for high-fidelity audio playback. Neither ASIO, WASAPI or Kernel Streaming are needed.

The only possible advantage of SACD/DSD is that you might get a different master than the CD version, at the expense of having to deal with making DSD playback work on your PC.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #11
Thank you Kohlrabi for your interesting "caveat". I will stay careful.

Regarding foobar settings, I have read that it is necessary to have the "foo_dsd_asio" component to play DSD files (which I want to play), or am I wrong ? ... I am a bit lost with the usb drivers, asio/dsd components... !
(Maybe there is a MBA kind of education to be up to date.)

Reply #12
I don't have any DSD/SACD files and have no interest in "obtaining" them, but from what I have gathered you can use http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecode...foo_input_sacd/ to decode SACD ISOs and play them in foobar2000, without the need to use ASIO. If you want to stream DSD content unaltered to an external device for decoding it's advised to use ASIO or the built-in ASIO-Proxy. Though it should not be necessary at all. There will be no audible difference anyway.

Reply #13
Thank you for the link.

In France we can buy DSD files (96 Mhz) and Master quality files from Quobuz.com (you can also susbscribe to listen to these files in streaming mode but I don't like the idea).

I have actually installed : foo_out_asio,  foo_input_sacd, foo_out_ks, foo_out_wasapi, based on previous recommendations.

Would you please explain "If you want to stream DSD content unaltered to an external device for decoding it's advised to use ASIO or the built-in ASIO-Proxy."..?  I think that I actually want to directly send DSD files to the TEAC, since it is said that it decodes and plays DSD material quite well. What do you mean by "use ASIO or the built-in Asio proxy" ?

In "Output", I have selected "foo_dsd_asio", is this what you are talking about ?

In the sub-item "ASIO", I see both: foo_dsd_asio, and : TEAC USB ASIO DRIVER.

foo_dsd_asio is set as follows :
- Asio driver : Teac Asio Usb driver
- Dsd playback method : Asio native (does this mean that a dsd file is sent "as is" to the Teac ?
- and DSD to DSD : none, as well as PCM to DSD : none.

This technology is puzzling for me...Thank you for your patience and assistance.

Reply #14
Are there any SACD test files on the web? I'm really not interested in pirating some ISO or spend money to test this component. Anyway, I think it's sufficient to install the foo_input_sacd component, select default DS output  (e.g. Primary Sound Driver) and play the .ISO or whatever file you have. ASIO is really just a bonus and not necessary at all. Unless the decoder in foo_input_sacd is horribly broken there will be no audible difference between DS and ASIO.

Reply #15
Here is a page where you can dowload free hi-resolution test files. Not sure its "sacd" but seems very heavy - and of high quality (to my ears !).

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Thank you for your advice, it helps clarifying the mist...

Reply #16
The DSD files play fine here. I just have installed the component and nothing else.

Reply #17
OK, thanks for the feed-back.

On my system, DS works fine also for files at 44,100, 88,200, 96,000 kHz, or 192,000 kHz - but for files at 2822400 Hz (2.8 MHz, 5645 kkbps, DSD, 24 bit, Codec DSD64) it doesn't work neither with DS, nor with TEAC ASIO DSD DRIVE or any other, but it does work with foo_dsd_asio (only)...

I think I'll keep using this one for the moment. What do you think ?