Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps (Read 5911 times) previous topic - next topic

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

What's the best format at 64kbps, OGG or MP3Pro in terms of quality?

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #2
That's what I thought. MP3Pro is still the champion at mailmusic (64kbps)!

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #3
Originally posted by An7222

Indeed.

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #4
Originally posted by An7222

I compared Vorbis and Mp3pro VBR, at -q0 for Vorbis (07.13.02), and quality 10 for CoolEdit2 Codec. Samples (6) were only classical music (chorus, gregorian, early chamber, orchestral...) : not loudy music, and very dynamic one, randomly selected. No critical or representative samples.

At theses settings, bitrate is really similar : 35-55 kb/s only !

Code: [Select]
Ogg v1 - -q0 = (40 - 53 - 45 - 41 - 32 - 49) => 7,92 MO

mp3pro VBR10 =  (42 - 48 - 43 - 44 - 39 - 46) => 7,90 MO

Sample 5 is a piano solo movement

mp3pro VBR did a « good » job when Vorbis did a bad one. Difference is obvious (but for both codecs, quality is shity, of course) : on every samples, Vorbis annoyance were clearly biggest : bad and artificial noise (like a temporal mosaic), more artifacts, more distorsion. Sound was strangy a bit loudest, and background noise different (I can easily hear this strange but not annoying difference up to -q4 - I don't try -q5 and above)
I can't say anything about metal, jazz, pop : loudy music. But on classical, I'm sure taht mp3VBR is the winner (at least for my taste).

Note that at 75-80 kb/s, Vorbis began to be better on most tracks, and really « explode » Thomson codec at 100 kb/s and above. Vorbis is impressive over 80kb/s - Mp3pro VBR is impressive under 70 kb/s.

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #5
Read This:
http://www.infoanarchy.org/story/2002/9/8/23472/23921
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto...o/09082002e.php

And This:
http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/index.html

OGG wins again, mp3PRO sucks!!!
mp3PRO at 96kbps does not cut frequencies...

... but above 9500Hz mp3PRO does weird things with sound. Above 16-20 Khz (I don`t remember) wav and mp3PRO are totally different (look at any spectrum comparations: mp3PRO 96kbps HQ vs normal WAV).

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #6
mp3Pro's spectral band replication (SBR) works reasonably well at low bitrates. Nobody can expect near perfect sound at very low bitrates.. SBR is advantageous at low bitrates because it allows relative quality improvements but at higher bitrates it is a deficiency, when you are aiming for near transparency.
Juha Laaksonheimo

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #7
I heard MP3 Pro had a new encoder out a few days ago... and it improves a lot according to some sources......

BTW is the decoder free??

And how does MP3 PRO ( 64 or 96 Kbps ) compare against MP3 @ 128Kbps??

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #8
Well these are the mp3pro patent licence fees, so I imagine any potential encoder/decoder would have to cost more:

PC Software Applications
Decoder: US$ 1.25 per unit or US$ 90 000.00 one-time paid-up
Encoder / Codec: US$ 5.00 per unit 

Hardware Products
Decoder: US$ 1.25 per unit
Encoder / Codec: US$ 5.00 per unit 

Games: US$ 3 750.00 per title 

Electronic Music Distribution / Broadcasting / Streaming: 3.0 % of related revenue

(taken from mp3licensing.com)

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #9
Are there any free MP3 Pro Decoder??

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #10

nop
Made in Portugal

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #11

There's the Thomson Player, and the Winamp input plugin, both here

http://www.thomson-multimedia.com/gb/00/index.htm (click on the "Download mp3pro player/encoder ).

Those are completely free to download and to use. The encoder is limited to up to 64kbps if I remember well. (or maybe it was 56? I am not sure)

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #12
And how does MP3 PRO ( 64 or 96 Kbps ) compare against MP3 @ 128Kbps??

Thomson says that MP3pro at 64 compares to mp3 at 96, but that could be unnacurate due to lowpass filters applied at 96kbps

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #13

Please reread the test carefully. ff123's test does *NOT* conclude that.

OGG X MP3PRO at 64kbps

Reply #14
it's right the site says:
Then I performed a Friedman non-parametric analysis. The results are graphed below. Mp3pro wins overall ranking points, but it's not significantly better than oggq0 or ogg64. On the other hand, wma8 and aac are definitely ranked at the bottom