Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Dark Theme is not supported in the preview versions under WINE (Read 410 times) previous topic - next topic

Dark Theme is not supported in the preview versions under WINE

With the stable version (v2.1.3) foobar detects the dark theme option set in winecfg

X

X

but in the preview versions is not detected

X

Re: Dark Theme is not supported in the preview versions under WINE

Reply #1
It's disabled in WINE on purpose. Your 2.1.3 screenshot is a perfect illustration of why... it doesn't work reliably. Those buttons/column headers would be dark on windows but are broken in WINE.

Reply #2
It's disabled in WINE on purpose. Your 2.1.3 screenshot is a perfect illustration of why... it doesn't work reliably. Those buttons/column headers would be dark on windows but are broken in WINE.

So foobar disable it when detect WINE?

It this is true, it is a pity....

Note that the screenshots are taken in default installation.  Only with using the classic wine theme (not the light one) and a few simply changes in the color of a few elements, and it worked well enough.

X

Reply #3
Please note that last I tested dark mode on Wine, it was very badly broken.
My dark mode code is full of hacks relying on low level Microsoft library behaviors and Wine can't be expected to emulate these.
I disabled it to prevent foobar2000 UI from entering unusable state.
If recent Wine versions improved it, I will re-evaluate.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #4
Please note that last I tested dark mode on Wine, it was very badly broken.
My dark mode code is full of hacks relying on low level Microsoft library behaviors and Wine can't be expected to emulate these.
I disabled it to prevent foobar2000 UI from entering unusable state.
If recent Wine versions improved it, I will re-evaluate.

I don't have the opportunity of testing with the new previews, for obvious reasons ;-P, but in all the time with the stable version I never have any problem besides some elements that didn't change automatically and need to be changed within wineconfig using the old XP style theme. And for sure that I used foobar a lot of hours every day.

But even if this is so bad right now, maybe it could be useful to have the opportunity of testing it, behind an experimental option enable with the user responsibility. If it is not suitable for an everyday use, at least from time to time when new wine versions popup to check if the situation improved.

Also, a more detailed explanation that what is the technical problem could be useful to try to have the attention of Wine developers in the Wine bugtrack. Maybe this could help to solve the problem. A good description sure is more helpful that a humble user saying that dark theme doesn't work in foobar :-)

If nothing of that is feasible, well, back in the old days of faking a dark theme....