Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WASAPI output component version 3.0 final (Read 163330 times) previous topic - next topic

WASAPI output component version 3.0 final

Reply #125
There're sudden pause sometimes with WASAPI event mode after upgrade my computer to windows 10, I don't know why.

Foobar2000 behaves quite well on windows 8.1. Is there anything that we should do to avoid such issues, or it's just the driver not mature for windows 10?

I have a schiit Bofrost USB Audio DAC, with a asynchronous usb connection to the computer.

Tried with almost every driver that I can find, the problem still there, until I run foobar2000 with windows 8 compatible mode.
Found that there's slight changes around WASAPI in windows 10:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wi...v=vs.85%29.aspx

If any modification on the plugin's side is ever needed to made it compatible for windows 10's new api?

Reply #126
I also had to bump up the "Hardware buffer in MS - event mode" to 75.  I tried up to 100, but then foobar would have a melt down and do this weird, glitchy, fast forward playback.

Bug:
If you set "Hardware buffer in MS - event mode" more than 90

Reference:
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_68397a5e0102v8hr.html <--- Chinese

Reply #127
Hi Everyone, let's suppose you connect an external DAC to a PC, using WASAPI. For example:

My question is, if someone randomly plays 16 bit and 24 bit tracks, the "Output data format" should be set to:

1) Always 16 bit.
2) Always 24 bit.
3) 16 bit or 24 bit, depending on the track being played.

What would be preferable:
- If the track being played is 16 bit, then output 16 bit.
- If the track being played is 24 bit, then output 24 bit.

Reply #128
Why? Are you assuming that outputting 16 bit files with a few insignificant 0's is somehow harmful?
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #129
I didn't think about that. So, I suppose that, when randomly playing some 16 and 24 bit tracks, it would be fine to just leave the "Output data format" to 24 bit? Won't it change the track from 16 to 24 bit, trying to reconstruct the missing bits, destroying the original samples?

Reply #130
trying to reconstruct the missing bits, destroying the original samples?

No.

Mathematically, does the value of those two numbers change, just because there are more significant digits? No.

"Bit depth" is just the same principle happening with binary numbers instead of decimal numbers.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #131
This is an interesting answer which solve my doubts. Thank you!

Reply #132
Is there a reason why WASAPI "Hardware buffer in MS" option should have an impact on sound quality? Perhaps on jitter or something like that? Maybe with onboard sound chips? Cause I swear I hear a difference (i.e. better sound quality) when I set that option to 0.

Reply #133
"0" should use a default buffer size or some minimum. And no, it doesn't change jitter. Buffer size is a tradeoff between latency (doesn't matter in an audio player), memory usage, efficiency (larger buffers improve efficiency) and glitch prevention.
If you could set buffer sizes arbitrary low then you'd either experience massive glitches or no sound playing at all.
"I hear it when I see it."

Re: WASAPI output component version 3.0 final

Reply #134
Dears,
   ny HTPC plays to a Harman Kardon receiver in WASAPI event mode via HDMI.
Any tracks is started the receiver takes 1-2 seconds to identify audio stream format, then starts playing.
Because of this the beginning of any tracks is not played.
How can I configure Foobar in order to open the stream and wait 2 seconds to begin to play?

Thanks and best regards

Reply #135
Try foo_dsp_noise

Reply #136
Any tracks is started the receiver takes 1-2 seconds to identify audio stream format, then starts playing.
Because of this the beginning of any tracks is not played.
How can I configure Foobar in order to open the stream and wait 2 seconds to begin to play?
I have created Pregap DSP component precisely for helping with this issue. The old version from 2010 had some limitations but I uploaded a new version today that should work for everyone.

Reply #137
At the risk of appearing an idiot, but what's the different between WASAPI (event) and (push) modes. I have a HeadRoom Micro DAC connected via USB to a headphone based system.

Reply #138
Thanks Case for updating the Pregap DSP! My setup is working much better with the new version adding noise at the beginning
Just out of curiosity: What type of noise you're creating and how silent is it? (I assume white noise and LSB)
.halverhahn

Reply #139
...what's the different between WASAPI (event) and (push) modes.
They are just different ways to keep the sound card's buffer filled. Normally it makes no difference which one you use but with some devices only one of them may work without audible glitches.

Reply #140
What type of noise you're creating and how silent is it? (I assume white noise and LSB)
It's quiet white noise, at 16-bit output it can get sample values -1, 0 or +1. The component doesn't know output bit depth so it always uses the same formula. At 24-bit the values will be quite a bit higher but it will still be inaudible with sane playback volumes.

Reply #141
Is there a place where I can download older versions of WASAPI plugin?

Reply #142
Hi!

Could it be possible to have "default audio device" selection for WASAPI output? What I mean is that the WASAPI plugin will output the data to the device which is selected as default in Windows sound devices.

That would be greatly useful for the persons who use HDMI as audio transport. For example: when I have the TV off and AVR on, the device name in HDMI EDID is the model of my AVR. When both are on, the name is my TV model. Windows classifies these as two different sound devices and I don't think there is a way to make the same.

If I'm listening music with foobar2000 and turn on the TV, playback jams.
If the playback is started after turning on TV and the audio output isn't corrected, foobar prompts me to select available output
These two happen also vice versa (after a while when I've turned off my TV).

IMO this is annoying. For example Kodi has 'WASAPI: default'. 'DirectSound: default' can be selected in foobar too so 'WASAPI: default' should be possible to implement.

ASIO could be a choice too but I have to use ASIO4ALL and sometimes it jams (plays some sample over and over again for couple of seconds) when I use seekbar or change track.

Reply #143
Is there a place where I can download older versions of WASAPI plugin?
Code: [Select]
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

Reply #144
Is there a reason why WASAPI "Hardware buffer in MS" option should have an impact on sound quality? Perhaps on jitter or something like that? Maybe with onboard sound chips? Cause I swear I hear a difference (i.e. better sound quality) when I set that option to 0.

I also use/experiment with on PCs with internal sound cards 0/0 WASAPI buffer settings without stuttering and I am wondering what effects it has on actual sound processing.

Reply #145
Since the last windows 10 feature update WASAPI event has been broken.  I have a Grace M9xx DAC.  WASAPI push works.