Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Qtaacenc Vs QAAC (Read 9441 times) previous topic - next topic

Qtaacenc Vs QAAC

Which encoder is better for True VBR?

Re: Qtaacenc Vs QAAC

Reply #1
Those are both interfaces for Apples encoder, difference is not about quality.

Reply #2
It means they provide the same output. So, which one do you recommend for converting my flacs to AAC. I'm using foobar for converting my music.

Reply #3
I have used QAAC, never tested qtaacenc IIRC (did not have any problems). You can use makeportable.zip to extract required dll's from iTunes/QuickTime installer package and copy them to QAAC folder, iTunes/QuickTime installation is not mandatory.

Qtaacenc is not updated since 2011, can't think any reason to use it over QAAC. Output is depending only from iTunes/QuickTime encoder version.

Reply #4
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna stick with QAAC.

Reply #5
I asked this long time/years ago but I can't find the post, ask @nu774 (the creator of QAAC) and he will explain in details what's different.

Reply #6
@IndyKid

Yeah, QAAC is pretty much the standard for converting FLAC to AAC (Apple AAC) in Foobar2000. It's what I use and I also use TVBR to because from what I have read around these forums it seems with TVBR and CVBR there is no clear difference in sound quality but TVBR generally produces smaller files which makes it more efficient.

what Pusherman said is what I use. basically you can get the makeportable.zip file from this link... https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet (it's okay for me to link to this, correct?)

or to give you the basic step-by-step process...

1)Install Foobar2000
2)Install Foobar2000 'encoder pack' (i.e. http://www.foobar2000.org/encoderpack )
3)Copy iTunes installer file to your Foobar2000 'encoders' folder.
4)Copy the makeportable.cmd file (which is inside of the makeportable.zip file you downloaded) to your Foobar2000 'encoders' folder.
5)Run the 'makeportable.cmd' file.
6)You should now see a 'QTfiles' folder inside of your Foobar2000's 'encoders' folder. this is the important folder you need.
7)You can delete the makeportable.cmd and the iTunes installer file from your Foobar2000's 'encoders' folder if you want.
8)Your finished and you never need to install any of that iTunes junk on your computer to make your own Apple AAC files ;)

NOTE: to make things easier in the future I would just backup the 'QTFiles' folder (like compress it with 7-zip etc) to a USB thumb drive etc so if you ever need to reinstall Foobar2000 in the future you can simply restore that 'QTfiles' folder back to the Foobar2000 'encoders' folder and your ready to go (well outside of the general Foobar2000 and Foobar 2000 Encoder Pack installation). basically will save you a bit of time in the future if you do this and you don't really have to worry about updating to the newest version of the Apple AAC encoder anyways since they have not had sound quality adjustments in many years now.

NOTE: if I recall correctly, you might see a 'QTfiles64' folder or something else to (in addition to the 'QTfiles' folder) but you can delete this as it's for 64bit encoding but the standard 32bit (i.e. 'QTfiles' folder) is simpler to use as Foobar2000 uses the 32bit encoder by default through it's usual interface and does not require any fancy custom settings like the 64bit encoder seems to. I suggest sticking with the 32bit encoder because of it's ease of use.
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.

Reply #7
Duude, he didn't ask for instructions, "I'm gonna stick with QAAC." means he already has figured it out. You're setting a standard that we should help no matter what instead people should try to work their own issues on their own first. Not a complain, just a critique, you do whatever you want :)

Reply #8
@eahm

You made a good point. I guess I could have waited before posting those instructions.

but I figure at the very least... those instructions are for anyone who stumbles into this topic as it gives them a basic step-by-step process to get the basic core function up and running for making their own Apple AAC files with Foobar2000. those instructions can be potentially beneficial for random people who stumble into this topic.
For music I suggest (using Foobar2000)... MP3 (LAME) @ V5 (130kbps). NOTE: using on AGPTEK-U3 as of Mar 18th 2021. I use 'fatsort' (on Linux) so MP3's are listed in proper order on AGPTEK-U3.

Reply #9
Thanks for the help guys! I have learned a lot from your suggestions and that makeportable thing is amazing.