Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vinyl ripping using integrated amplifier (Read 3921 times) previous topic - next topic

Vinyl ripping using integrated amplifier

hello everyone. I'm a beginner to vinyl ripping and have a few questions about my setup

equipment:
Reloop RP-7000
Shure M44-7
Rega Mira integrated amplifier (original clamshell)
ESI Juli@

the amp has a number of inputs/outputs:
DISC IN
CD IN
TUNER IN
AUX1, AUX2
TAPE IN
TAPE OUT
PRE AMP OUT
POWER AMP IN

TT is connected to TUNER IN.
TAPE OUT is connected to my soundcard analogue line inputs via x2/x2 RCA.

I start recording in audacity.
I see that the waveform is extremely short.
I turn the volume control on my integrated amp to max - the waveform is still very short. the recording meter in audacity is barely reaching -36.
Juli@ recording device is set to level 100 in Windows sound manager.
master meter in ESI Juli@ console is set to max.

I save the recording and, of course, it is very quiet.
I have ripped vinyl before using the preamp on my mixer - if it's too quiet, I just adjust the gain. but I'm not sure what to do with this rega amp.
what am I missing?

Reply #1
It should be connected to Phono which does equalisation and gain adjustments. Tuner in does not and is if I am right a normal line level input.

Reply #2
That turntable has a phono/line level switch. Make sure it is in line level.

Reply #3
That turntable has a phono/line level switch. Make sure it is in line level.
Oh, I read the post to quick to see this. My bad. If he sets the switch to line then I understand why he choose to use TUNER IN if no other input is available like AUX or some other line input.

Reply #4
It should be connected to Phono which does equalisation and gain adjustments. Tuner in does not and is if I am right a normal line level input.

thanks for the help man. problem solved... DISC IN was the phono input all along. I always imagined this was just a normal line level input for turntables/CDs.