Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: preferences on the UI (Read 3048 times) previous topic - next topic

preferences on the UI

I just thought of a useful plugin. In the newest version of Opera, there is a way to customize the toolbars so you can add a preference option for easy access. This would be super useful in foobar, as I am always changing around things in the preference menus (track gain/album gain; kernel streaming/DS 2.0; diffrent DSP options)

Here is a mockup I made:

preferences on the UI

Reply #1
This idea would probably be in violation of rule 15:
15. Posting third party foobar2000 components.
To prevent users from encountering problems after installing new versions of foobar2000, links to any components that aren't fully compatible with foobar2000 API specifications (eg. using "hacks" to provide features that aren't legally available via API yet) will be removed from official pages, including forum posts. If you don't want your component to be banned, use only interfaces provided by foobar2000 SDK and avoid making any additional assumptons about the way application loading your component works.
...since such a plugin would have to 'hack' into the UI.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

preferences on the UI

Reply #3
I guess your best bet would be to request this feature on the ColumnsUI thread. It's a UI component of its own and if configured right could work like the default UI (though there's no point in making it work like the default UI scause it works so much better than it anyhow). I doubt it will get implented, though, cause there are already lots of feature requests that the developer had undertaken to implement.

preferences on the UI

Reply #4
yep, i second that. i would like the default gui (or something which would could get used by other guis too) to add toolbar / sidebar / docking abilities

preferences on the UI

Reply #5
It would be impossible for configuration options that are not exposed through menu items or public config_var classes. Four out of the five options you show in your mock-up would require higher level control of the playback DSP chain, the current output device, and the ReplayGain options.

Though, I suppose you could break Foobar2000 forum TOS #15 by enumerating the config service for the options you want to meddle with, create the dialog invisibly, then directly manipulate or check the states of the controls. This is not only pure evil, but it'd be prone to blowing up if the user opens the real configuration to that dialog, or if the dialogs are ever changed.

This is really beyond the current API.