Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: IEM cable noises and ways to avoid it. (Read 6933 times) previous topic - next topic

IEM cable noises and ways to avoid it.

Does someone know about studies on IEM cable mechanical noise transmission (AKA microphonic) and the ways to avoid it, other than the usual grandma's advice to wear them "cable up", which in the end I find rather uncomfortable?
... I live by long distance.

Reply #1
I am sorry, what?
Only cable noise I hear is mechanical noise when scratching on my clothes, which I hear. but microphonic...? Do you suggest that some electrical signal is being generated inside cable?
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
I am sorry, what?
Only cable noise I hear is mechanical noise when scratching on my clothes, which I hear. but microphonic...? Do you suggest that some electrical signal is being generated inside cable?

Sorry for not being clear enough: I'm speaking just of mechanical noise. This phenomenon is also commonly known as "microphonic" even if technically speaking this term is misused as there is actually no conversion from mechanical to electrical energy.

Reply #4
This phenomenon is also commonly known as "microphonic"

Commonly? Amongst whom?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphonics (see "Other Uses").

To be even more clear: I'm not reporting Wikipedia for correctness, just for an example of commonness.

Now, can you give any contribution to the topic, where no use of the word "microphonic" has been made (and not by chance)?

Reply #5
Does someone know about studies on IEM cable mechanical noise transmission (AKA microphonic) and the ways to avoid it, other than the usual grandma's advice to wear them "cable up", which in the end I find rather uncomfortable?

The single-ear buds tat come with cellphones usually have a clip on the wire to keep the microphone at mouth-level. You could try to collect two of them so that the wire slack between ear and clip is free as much as possible.

Or use clothing pins to the same effect. 

Reply #6
This phenomenon is also commonly known as "microphonic"

Commonly? Amongst whom?

People into headphones.

Anyway, it is highly dependent on the cable.  My custom IEMs with westone cables have ZERO noise transmission through the cable.  My Shure SE530s were silent as well.  I had a pair of Apple IEMs and they were terrible.  Anything that is rubberized with a noticeable "bounciness" seems to transmit a lot of noise.
Are these Nazis, Walter?
No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of.

Reply #7
I second that. A non-rubberized, smooth cable surface (with a plastic or vinyl like touch) and ideally twisted pair wires lead to ZERO rumbling noise transmission.

Reply #8
My custom IEMs with westone cables have ZERO noise transmission through the cable.

My Westones also don't have this problem. I just have the "entry level" UM1. I think the twisted pairs must do something to dampen this mechanical noise.

Reply #9
Cables do convert mechanical energy into an electrical signal.  Any change in shape will alter the cable capacitance.  If any charge has built up on the cable then the change in capacitance will cause a voltage to be produced.
This is minimized by using slightly conductive sleeving that will allow any charge to leak away.

Reply #10
Cables do convert mechanical energy into an electrical signal.  Any change in shape will alter the cable capacitance.  If any charge has built up on the cable then the change in capacitance will cause a voltage to be produced.
This is minimized by using slightly conductive sleeving that will allow any charge to leak away.

We're talking about conducting mechanical noise through the cable shielding and into the body of the IEM itself, which then manifests as a throbbing sound in the ear.  It doesn't have anything to do with electrical signals.
Are these Nazis, Walter?
No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of.

Reply #11
It's just a matter of some cable designs and materials being much better than others. There are a few good web sites that review IEMs and most of them comment on the relative microphonics of the different models. No matter the cable, Grandma's advice of wearing the cables over the ear will almost always produce less noise.