Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: reading unicode file names (Read 3518 times) previous topic - next topic

reading unicode file names

hi developers,

I was recommended to use foobar2000 cause it can correctly display the strings in the ID3 and file names written in cyrillic.
This is unfortunately only partialy the case on my system.
I am using w2k pro, german localization, standard language german.
The strings in russian language from ID3 are shown as Àóêöûîí in foobar2000. They are shown correct only if I put the tags myself.
Would be nice if you were interested to fix this behaviour in foobar2000, that would animate me to through winamp over board.

Reply #1
ID3 tags contain characters encoded using current ANSI codepage on the system that wrote them, but no information about codepage used, so they can't be decoded on a system using different codepage; blame the person who tagged those files.
Or set your system codepage to russian, read them, and rewrite tags.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
Just a sidenote... it looks like it should here, although only when encoding in browser set to cp-1251:

Great band btw.

Reply #3
ID3 tags contain characters encoded using current ANSI codepage on the system that wrote them, but no information about codepage used, so they can't be decoded on a system using different codepage; blame the person who tagged those files.

The codepage can be defined by the mp3 format, did I understand you right?
I suppose there is a lot of mp3 software that don't set the codepage, cause I have the problem with all of my russian mp3s.
Maybe you could build in an option to handle such a case with a default codepage set by user - in case a char is above the 127 boundary foobar2000 would use this codepage to display this char.

which software would you suggest to do this easy and quickly? I have a couple of hundred files, this would be a bit tiring to do it by hand.

thx for help

Reply #4
Just a sidenote... it looks like it should here, although only when encoding in browser set to cp-1251:

Reply #5
which software would you suggest to do this easy and quickly?

Perhaps 'reload info from files' and then 'rewrite tags from database' in foobar, using apev2 tags this time.
Or tag.exe with '--force apev2'.

Reply #6

The codepage can be defined by the mp3 format, did I understand you right?
I suppose there is a lot of mp3 software that don't set the codepage, cause I have the problem with all of my russian mp3s.
Maybe you could build in an option to handle such a case with a default codepage set by user - in case a char is above the 127 boundary foobar2000 would use this codepage to display this char.

No. The code page cannot be defined by the tag. The point was that the tags contain plain ANSI strings, with no identifying code page information. They are encoded however the originating system was configured. ID3v2 *does* support UTF-8 and UTF-16, but most applications only support ISO-8859-1. (And persist in shoving all sorts of encodings in ANSI field. Lame coders, lame standard.)

which software would you suggest to do this easy and quickly? I have a couple of hundred files, this would be a bit tiring to do it by hand.

thx for help

1) Set your system language to Russian.
2) Load all of your broken tagged files and reload info
3) Rewrite tags from database
4) Optionally reset your codepage

Tags should now be nice APEv2 with UTF-8 strings, without that nasty code page dependent ANSI mess.

Reply #7
thx for explanations.
I found foobar's masstagger, a realy nice thing.