Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playback clicks and pops (Read 5053 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback clicks and pops

v0.666 has been popping and clicking during playback. DSP only has EQ, Attenuator, and Resampler enabled. Default buffer(?1000 ms?) for wave out and direct sound. Have hardware mixing enabled.

Resampler is set for 64 bit, slow mode, and 44100.

And for measure, tested MC with same files and do not get this. Settings using that are very close to what foobar is, with exception of 64 bit and slow mode.

Possible that buffering needs to be increased slightly for this?

Playback clicks and pops

Reply #1
Try to disable Hardware Mixing and / or disable the Slowmode of the Resampler, this causes for me sometimes Clicks when playing Music and doing some other things (burning, surfing, and so on..) Try Kernel Streaming if DS / Wave are causing problems, KS works for me perfectly! (Resampler, mixup Stereo to 4 channels, mixup mono to stereo and Limiter, no EQ). I don't think buffering is the matter, i have 500ms buffering and 500kb full file buffering and no problems, might be a driver problem..
Celeron 1300 Tualatin @ 1589, 512 MB Micronchip CL2, 0,5 TB HD, Audigy 2 ZX Platinum Pro, Sony MDS-JE530 DAC, Sony STR-GX 311 Ampifier, Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones, Creative Inspire T7700 7.1

Playback clicks and pops

Reply #2
Does the problem occur with all DSPs disabled ?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Playback clicks and pops

Reply #3
Does the problem occur with all DSPs disabled ?

No.

Disabled hardware mixing and DSP's, does not occur.

Re-enabled hardware mixing and no DSP's and does not occur.

It was fairly noticeable on a quiet track like Mazzy Star - Tell Me Now. At the time the only apps running were CoolMon and Kerio firewall. I don't think these would have interfered with performance of :B.

I'll try going through DSP's one at a time and check what that does.

Playback clicks and pops

Reply #4
I'd suggest disabling hardware mixing (there are reasons why it's disabled in default settings, many soundcard drivers have serious issues with it), or using less agressive DSP settings (resampler slow mode is really overkill, though according to your post you resample to 44100Hz so it doesn't trigger with "normal" tracks ripped from CDs which are 44100Hz already).
Perhaps some other outputs (KS or waveOut) would handle this situation better (but I can't be sure).
It really doesn't look like a problem with buffer size to me - buffer size matters only if sound data isn't sent to output fast enough for some reason, eg. too slow decoding (~100% CPU usage) or slow device access (slow CD drive or network drive or something like that).

Playback clicks and pops

Reply #5
It occurs with the Resampler enabled. EQ and attenuator do not seem to effect playback. It is very faint, and sounds almost like a lightly scratched record (needle noise?).

EDIT: Crossed posts'. I'll do that. EQ works just fine anyway. I didn't think resampling was necessary at any rate (for me).

Playback clicks and pops

Reply #6
Resampler slow mode is a huge CPU hog, it wasn't really intended for realtime operation; to make things worse, it processes data in big chunks (CPU usage spikes), which causes weird side effects when executed in a high-priority thread (eg. fb2k decoding thread). If you *really* need resampler slow mode, set internal resolution to 32bit (64bit mode is there just for the hell of it and the difference should be far below any noise floor you can possibly have; original SSRC.exe was 32bit anyway), and try lowering thread priority in playback settings.

Playback clicks and pops

Reply #7
For some reason v0.667 is doing this too.

foobar is basically using default set-up here, with attenuator - advanced limiter - and EQ being the only DSP components added. And in that order, if it makes any difference.

Just a thought here, would using onboard sound (Realtek AC97) be a likely suspect to cause this? I'm starting to think this may be the case. Even if I had more resampling and other things going on, which I don't, this machine should be able to handle it without a hitch. (AMD 2600+).

Kind of stumped as to why foobar does this and not MC.

Sorry Peter, not trying to be a pain here, just would like to figure this out.

Playback clicks and pops

Reply #8
...would using onboard sound (Realtek AC97) be a likely suspect to cause this? I'm starting to think this may be the case. Even if I had more resampling and other things going on, which I don't, this machine should be able to handle it without a hitch. (AMD 2600+).

1) Should change the plugin to resample to 48khz for the Realtek 'sound' ahem... card.

2) Your CPU has enouh power to deal with the SSRC stuff...

3) Change playback to 16bit/strong ATH dither if it isn't set like that...

Playback clicks and pops

Reply #9
1) Should change the plugin to resample to 48khz for the Realtek 'sound' ahem... card.

I know... :x

This will be changed in the not to distant future.

About the resample, even if files are all at 44,100? What would the benefit be?