Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Fraunhofer Q100 setting vs LAME V0 (Read 4352 times) previous topic - next topic

Fraunhofer Q100 setting vs LAME V0

I currently have a subscription to eMusic,  and out of curiosity using some open source mp3 utilities I wrote a short utility to dump the MP3 headers to the screen.  What I found was interesting, and so I have come to (what appears to be) the best forum on the web for discussion of such matters.

First I was not happy to find that when music from eMusic is encoded with the Fraunhofer encoder, they are inserting into the id3v2 header a PRIV field. In this field is encoded everything they need to trace the download to me which includes date, time, session ID, and some other identifiers.  I don't care so much unless my portable MP3 player or computer gets lost or stolen, and then if some kid uploads my music to some share site I would probably be hunted down like a dog...  But thats not really why I'm making this post.

What I also found while scanning the id3v2 headers is that when eMusic encodes with Fraunhofer, they use the "VBR q100" settings.  Are these settings any good?  The only posts I could find about this Fraunhofer setting were these two, which state the q100 settings uses a 16 kHz cutoff.  The audio graph looks not quite as good as LAME V0 graph.

These are the posts:
Maximizing VBR Quality, Squeezing out the last 2%
Question about VBR and --strictly-enforce-iso

Personally, I use LAME when I rip my CDs using the "-V0 --vbr-new -q0 --lowpass 19.7" settings.  Any comments on those settings would be welcome too.

Thanks.

Fraunhofer Q100 setting vs LAME V0

Reply #2
Personally, I use LAME when I rip my CDs using the "-V0 --vbr-new -q0 --lowpass 19.7" settings.  Any comments on those settings would be welcome too.

I'd avoid all the special flags and start from a much lower -V setting, like -V5. If the resulting encodes are not transparent to you, gradually decrease the -V setting. I think you might be surprised at the level that sounds transparent to you. As a safety margin you might then just choose -V one level better than the one that was transparent. It's of course "safe" (read: as good as LAME VBR encodes will get) to choose -V0 and not do any testing, which potentially takes up a lot more space than the files produced by the above mentioned method.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.