Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Anyone updated his FooTuneIn layout so it still works? (Read 2756 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone updated his FooTuneIn layout so it still works?

This may not be the best place for this, but since it's not a component and not an upload I'm posting this here.

I realize there's not much hope for me, but I still have this great layout FooTuneIn which I used often until I had to drop of the grid several years ago. Having picked up using Foobar2000 again recently I noticed it doesn't work anymore (at least the part where stations are listed in the dropdowns in Layout 2.

Aside from that I would like to have some things handled different out of personal preferences, is there anyone who has taken the time and made an effort in keeping it working?

Since it's very specifically geared towards listening to sradio station streams I would very much like to get this working again so I can keep things out of my local music library, plus it has so much more functionality that is specific to streams that it is just perfect for this task.

Re: Anyone updated his FooTuneIn layout so it still works?

Reply #1
Since I was the author of that layout, I guess I could  update it even though I haven't it installed anymore.
I formatted my computer.
The last release I have is 1.3
Except the functions that don't work, what personal preferences do you have in mind?

Reply #2
That would be great! I tried myself but I never used those script panels other than for the library tree script so I totally failed and made things even more broken. 1.3 is also the latest version I found via a post you once made with a dropbox link

For the most parts it still works aside from that some radio stations I get in the local dropdown don't want to play, nothing happens when I select them

A minor personal preference thing is I would love it if the resulting m-tag files where named after the stream/radio station instead of a number and just stored in the same subfolder instead of each m-tag file with logo in their own subfolders. But I fear that might cause issues due to possible 'illegal' characters in station names which is probably why you opted for the TuneIn number?

Another thing is that there's a few radio stations here for some reason have the title/artist values swapped, which caused things like the bio script and thumbs script to fail. (of course with the back end changes over time they now fail totally even for stations not swapping artitst/title info) I tried getting around that with creating global variables but seems js-playlist doesn't/can't use those.  Since you can't possibly know in advance which stations will do that I don't expect you to solve that but it would be nice if there was an easy way for me to fix that. I tried figuring out how to modify the scripts but like I said, I mostly broke things even further because I totally never used those jscript/wsh panels.

And the layout that has the radio station logo top-right, if that had also an option to shrink-to-fit. I had some logo's that for some reason got cropped while they do fully show in the playlist.

Before I found FooTuneIn I once modified a "Now Playing' script to keep track of selected tracks/artists much like the scroller in top in FooTuneIn. I changed it so that when I heard a song I liked I could click the panel  (on_mousedown) to have the info written to a text file. (artist/title/date played/radio stream), and of course accommodating for those cases where artist/title was swapped in the stream info. I tried that with the scroller in FooTuneIn, but never got that to work, a mouseclick always opened the configuration panel. I don't expect you to add this functionality, I still have script I used back than, but if you could give me a pointer how to prevent the configuration window to open (where ths script itself lives) that would be swell

Reply #3
just remembered one thing... I've seen something floating around for youtube? I never used that since I want to listen to my own local copies, but with radio streams it's different. Most larger stations here also have mobile apps and some of those have the option to switch to a view mode where you can watch the clip. Dunno if this is possible since Foobar2000 can't show video clips itself (although it will play the audio track if it can recognize it) but that might be a nice addition as a luxury feature request. If too complex or no fairly standard way clip links get sent just forget it, I would already be glad if the currently broken functionality worked again

Reply #4
Could you provide some stations that refuse to play?
Station name instead of Id is possible - using illegal characters replacement or omitting , working on it.
As for reverse Metadata, it should be provided correctly from the station. I will look into a workaround.
The logo has options when right clicking , consider using stretch to fit or focus.
I will add writing info to text file history for current playing track.

Beta version will be up ASAP.

Reply #5
All stations are based in The Netherlands:

Refuses to play:
"538 102.7 (Top 40 Pop Music)"
"538 Non Stop (Top 40 Pop Music)"

Then there's "Radio Veronica 103.2 (Classic Hits)" this makes the top button bar crash, top-left it says "tunein: Aborted"
and shows the following error popups:
Code: [Select]
WSH Panel Mod (tunein by zeremy): msxml3.dll:
Access is denied.

File: <main>
Line: 478, Col: 2
<source text only available at compile time>
WSH Panel Mod (tunein by zeremy): msxml3.dll:
Access is denied.

Line: 469, Col: 2
<source text only available at compile time>

Sadly I can't get the ID's since they won't open.

An example of a station that has swapped Artist/Title info in stream: 0243854901 "Qmusic"
Same station also has the logo top-left showing cropped no matter which option I choose (that's why I asked for shrink-to-fit since stretch don't help)

This  one doesn't display the stream name in playlist and top panel: 2330360954 "KINK (Alternative Rock)"
<STREAM_NAME> is blank in properties but there is a <STREAM_TUNEIN_NAME> field that does have the name.

The other layout where you have station logo's in the top bar shows black squared backgrounds if no logo is associated (not even the default logo shows then). When a logo uses transparancy this don't look good, don't know what the best solution here would be... perhaps just a border and the background color same as the rest of the UI?

Not sure what would be the reason, but 2950898463 "Arrow Classic Rock", and the above mentioned 2330360954 initially showed the default logo instead of the station logo. After a while 2950898463 suddenly started showing a logo but 2330360954 didn't (and still doesn't)

When you lookup Qmusic on TuneIn, there's also a podcast list you can listen to. No idea how common this is but if there was a way to add those to a playlist (page url?)

One last thing I just ran into... (admittedly I haven't used FooTuneIn in a long time due to my life having been on the rocks the last couple of years)
I wanted to add a logo to the second stream for "Qmusic" and got this popup.
Attached picture editing failure on "E:\PortableApps\FooTuneIn\m-tags\1799086099\1799086099.tags": Access denied

Reply #6
And why do the paths to where logo files can be found keep resetting to the defaults if I switch between layout 1 and 2???
nvrmind, thought it used an internal layout switch... but does import each time

Reply #7
Uploaded v1.4
https://www.dropbox.com/s/exv52g968vodje2/FooTuneIn%20v1.4.rar?dl=0

A minor personal preference thing is I would love it if the resulting m-tag files where named after the stream/radio station instead of a number and just stored in the same subfolder instead of each m-tag file with logo in their own subfolders. But I fear that might cause issues due to possible 'illegal' characters in station names which is probably why you opted for the TuneIn number?

Done.

Another thing is that there's a few radio stations here for some reason have the title/artist values swapped, which caused things like the bio script and thumbs script to fail. (of course with the back end changes over time they now fail totally even for stations not swapping artitst/title info) I tried getting around that with creating global variables but seems js-playlist doesn't/can't use those.  Since you can't possibly know in advance which stations will do that I don't expect you to solve that but it would be nice if there was an easy way for me to fix that. I tried figuring out how to modify the scripts but like I said, I mostly broke things even further because I totally never used those jscript/wsh panels.

For stations that have reverse metadata the mtag must have a field called %stream_reverse% with the value of 1.
It can be created manually, my context-menu (Tagging>Quick Tagger) or by keyboard shortcut Ctrl+R
All scripts/tilteformating will now use %title% as %artist% and %artist% as %title%.

And the layout that has the radio station logo top-right, if that had also an option to shrink-to-fit. I had some logo's that for some reason got cropped while they do fully show in the playlist.
Updated Artwork viewer.

Before I found FooTuneIn I once modified a "Now Playing' script to keep track of selected tracks/artists much like the scroller in top in FooTuneIn. I changed it so that when I heard a song I liked I could click the panel  (on_mousedown) to have the info written to a text file. (artist/title/date played/radio stream), and of course accommodating for those cases where artist/title was swapped in the stream info. I tried that with the scroller in FooTuneIn, but never got that to work, a mouseclick always opened the configuration panel. I don't expect you to add this functionality, I still have script I used back than, but if you could give me a pointer how to prevent the configuration window to open (where ths script itself lives) that would be swell

Created a myhistory panel which will display myhistory.txt.
You can add entries by either double-clicking the panel or by keyboard shortcut Ctrl+H

The other issues in your second post should be resolved.(thanks for your detailed reply)

If you have any questions/issues do not hesitate to ask. ;)

Reply #8
Woot!!  :)) Great, thanks a bundle.

Reply #9
I have a few small suggestions and one small issue.

• Most all of the radio stations I added to my playlist offer streams in different versions, e.g. aac/32 and mp3/128
    of course the bitrates may vary depending on the station
    I'm not sure if this always true, but it is for most all of the stations I added to the playlist.
    This isn't an issue in Layout 1 since there the playlist shows all of the streams info.
    But in JSPlaylist in Layout 2 however they all show as identical, so what I did was to go into the column definitions and change the column Bitrate to read as Format using [%stream_format%][/%stream_bitrate%] as value.
    This way it is easier to see which format the individual streams are using.
    NOTE: I moved the forward slash to the %stream_bitrate% part because when the stream uses hls as format, bitrate didn't show.
    Foobar2000 can't play hls (HTTP Live Streams) anyways it seems, but format will always be present so thought this was the safer of the two.

• Another thing I noticed is that not every radio station will show a Recent Track History simply because TuneIn doesn't know/provide one for that particular station.
    So what I did was to change the script (the download function) like so
    				if (items == 0) {
    // g_text = "Not Available";
    g_text = fb.TitleFormat("$ifequal(%stream_reverse%,1,%title%,%artist%)").Eval() + " - " +
    fb.TitleFormat("$ifequal(%stream_reverse%,1,%artist%,%title%)").Eval() + "\n" + g_text;
    After doing so I noticed that this never updated when the next track played, luckily I still had my old track history script which used on_playback_dynamic_info_track. Adding this function made the track history fill up with playing/played tracks for those radio stations for which TuneIn didn't provide one.
    function on_playback_dynamic_info_track() {
    selection = "http://opml.radiotime.com/Browse.ashx?c=playlist&id=" + fb.TitleFormat("%stream_tunein_id%").Eval(true) + "&partnerId=1" + "?junk=" + Math.random();
    download(selection);
    }
    I realize the selection variable is erroneous but without it, the download function wouldn't end up in the items == 0 branch.
    There's still a small issue with my change in that sometimes the first track added may get duplicated, but since this is purely cosmetic and won't be visible anymore after a while if the list fills up, I've not bothered to try to fix this.

• And the small issue I noticed is that sometimes the cover art in Layout 2 shows the wrong cover.
    e.g. for "Ride It by DJ Regard" I got a totally different cover i.e. "Ride It by Jay Sean".
    I looked in the script and from what I could understand the call does include artist and track info, so the problem seems to be server side...

• Finally a question. In Layout 2 you use the Graphical Browser, do you know of an alternative that is capable of showing gif animations?
    I never liked the default "playing" icon of Graphical Browser, but since in my own library collection I rarely use this playlist view I never bothered replacing it.
    Now however I thought to replace it with an animated gif image (like the one you see on the tab of the Opera browser when audio is playing in that tab).
    Sadly Graphical Browser doesn't seem to play gif animations so was hoping you might know of an alternative that does.
    Since it only needs to show the Station Logo's I don't mind if it doesn't have any other functionality than just showing the cover and the gif overlay on the currently playing station logo

Reply #10
Regarding the sometimes erroneous cover. I did some testing and it's partly the cause of incomplete info in the stream metadata and partly some fu at LastFM.

In the case of the example I mentioned, the actual artist name is DJ Regard and using that as artist name did return the correct cover. However the stream metadata had the artist listed as just Regard, which in this case leads to a LastFM page of an Italian band, apparently having a song with same title. However, the track listing has several versions listed of this song and the first one has the cover for a Jay Sean associated with it.

So, no need to spent time on this. Oddly enough the iPhone TuneIn app is able to show covers for playing tracks with some of my stations. So there seems to be a way to get that info other than through trying to get the correct cover externally...

Reply #11
Hi,

Foobar can play hls stations. Install FFmpeg Decoder Wrapper component and select HLS for *.m3u8 streams in Preferences / Playback / Decoding / FFmpgeg Decoding Wrapper.

Reply #12
In v1.4  HLS streams can be played. (I have already added FFmpeg Decoder Wrapper and required ffmpeg binaries and settings)

As for the last.fm cover , the search only includes %artist% and %title% values and the response may be wrong as you observed.
Other apps may use other services to obtain the correct cover.

I don't know any component that can provide animated gif.

Reply #13
just remembered one thing... I've seen something floating around for youtube? I never used that since I want to listen to my own local copies, but with radio streams it's different. Most larger stations here also have mobile apps and some of those have the option to switch to a view mode where you can watch the clip. Dunno if this is possible since Foobar2000 can't show video clips itself (although it will play the audio track if it can recognize it) but that might be a nice addition as a luxury feature request. If too complex or no fairly standard way clip links get sent just forget it, I would already be glad if the currently broken functionality worked again

Youtube Source http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_youtube can also play video.
You could use YouTube Track Manager script https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,111059.0.html to get clips url's

Reply #14
Hmmm, your post gave me the impression I could have this combo load/show the videoclip for the currently playing song from a radio stream but I can't get it to do anything other than showing a list of seemingly unrelated songs/artists and the video popup never shows anything...
So that one is not what I had hoped, at least not the way I expected

Reply #16
Thank you for this.  I had been using VLC to listen to Tune-In, but this is a lot better.  I didn't even have to use CUI.  I was able to get the features I wanted into a DUI panel and it looks great.  Once I get a station loaded I can select it anytime using Facets and added some additional visualizations.  Thank you again.

Reply #17
Don't know if this is the 'official footuner thread'...
Anyway - it is a real great application, thanks very much for that!! :)
I would have one proposal: when clicking on the presets, the currently playing stream stops, but the newly selected does not start automatically - it has to be double-clicked in the playlist or browser to start playing. Any chance to start this directly with double-click on the preset?