Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54 (Read 275794 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54

Reply #525
hi all, know this is kinda inactive. I don't even use windows but I still use foobar pretty much on account of this and other game related plugins. one thing I remember though was that gep used to have more advanced controls? like you used to be able to mute specific tracks in the song emulation. is that no longer a feature?

it's be really handy for recording specific elements...

anyway, it's still great, so thanks kode54 for your hard work!

Reply #526
hi all, know this is kinda inactive. I don't even use windows but I still use foobar pretty much on account of this and other game related plugins. one thing I remember though was that gep used to have more advanced controls? like you used to be able to mute specific tracks in the song emulation. is that no longer a feature?

it's be really handy for recording specific elements...

anyway, it's still great, so thanks kode54 for your hard work!
In foobar menu, check View->GEP control. If the emulation format supports channel muting and stuff, that's where the controls are going to be.
made of radiation

Reply #527
I'm having an issue regarding GBS and m3u. The GBS file runs fine with all of the tracks playing, but when I select the m3u nothing happens. It blanks out my playlist, but that's it. As far as I can tell the m3u is properly set up, so I don't know what's going on.

Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

I tried it with an m3u like this:
Code: [Select]
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,0,Overture - Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - ©1998-09-25 Tose\, Enix,1:29,,1

and another like this (generated using VGMToolbox):
#######################################################
#
# Game: Dragon Warrior Monsters
# Artist: Koichi Sugiyama
# Copyright: 1998 Enix
#
#######################################################

DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,0,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 00,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,1,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 01,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,2,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 02,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,3,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 03,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,4,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 04,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,5,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 05,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,6,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 06,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,7,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 07,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,8,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 08,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,9,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 09,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,10,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 10,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,11,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 11,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,12,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 12,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,13,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 13,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,14,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 14,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,15,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 15,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,16,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 16,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,17,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 17,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,18,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 18,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,19,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 19,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,20,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 20,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,21,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 21,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,22,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 22,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,23,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 23,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,24,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 24,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,25,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 25,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,26,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 26,,,,
DMG-ADQJ-JPN.gbs::GBS,27,Koichi Sugiyama - Dragon Warrior Monsters - Track 27,,,,

Neither works.

Reply #528
You can't add custom M3U files to the playlist. They will be used automatically if you name them the same as the song file, and add the song file to the playlist. This will not change, as adding extended M3U support to the player is beyond my capability as a component author.

Reply #529
Ah, I see. That definitely works. Thanks. Not knowing that kind of explains why I couldn't find anyone else with this problem via googling.

Reply #530
I've been using Game Emu Player for years and years and am very grateful to kode54. So, thank you!

Recently I've been having troubles with SPCs, though.  I've had Emu set to successfully export my tracks as 15:00 long .wavs forever, but in the last few months SPCs have either been 1) randomly exporting via Emu with two loops and a fade or 2) not with Emu at all.

I also use SNESAPU input, which works fine -- but SPCs are now exporting with SNESAPU's settings exclusively regardless of whether the SPC box in Emu is checked (notwithstanding the occasional and mysterious switch to two loops +fade).  SNESAPU is either overwhelming Emu or stepping in for it when it fails. Reinstalling Emu doesn't change anything.

GBS files are still correctly exporting at Emu's 15:00 length, however, so this appears to be an isolated problem with SPCs.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm using foo_gep 1.211. Maybe I have an old version?

Thank you for any and all help.

Reply #531
Having two inputs handle the same format is not that useful, since most inputs can't be configured to prioritize over another input, and even if they could, the player itself randomizes their order on every startup.

Pick a single input, stick with it. If you can't turn the other input off, don't expect priority controls in plugins themselves to work over what the core has in mind. Just because foo_gep can be enabled, doesn't mean it will take priority over anything else installed, it may or may not, depending on that service list randomization that happens on every program startup.

Reply #532
most inputs can't be configured to prioritize over another input, and even if they could, the player itself randomizes their order on every startup.
If BOTH plugins for the same format have option do enable/disable this format support, then they CAN be configured to prioritize one over another. Tested with foo_gep and foo_input_zxtune.
But of course foo_gep cannot  be configured to prioritize over snesapu, because only foo_gep has option to enable/disable spc support and snesapu have no such option.

Reply #533
Just because foo_gep can be enabled, doesn't mean it will take priority over anything else installed, it may or may not, depending on that service list randomization that happens on every program startup.
This makes sense, but I wanted to check if there was a solution here because for the past four years I've been able to easily and immediately switch control between the two plugins by checking or unchecking that box.  It only became an issue within the last few months, possibly after a plugin update.  It also doesn't explain why when Emu takes control it applies unique settings to the SPCs that are not set anywhere, so I wasn't sure if this behavior was indicative of a different problem.

I wish I could just stick to one plugin or the other, but I have to match my exports as closely as I possibly can to someone else's rips for podcast work, and neither plugin matches in all cases.  I'd love to just use the same program my podcast friends do and avoid the problem altogether, but they use a Mac-only application and I'm a PC user.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.  I appreciate your hard work, I understand the solution I'm looking for doesn't exist, and I will have to adapt.

EDIT: Looks like my solution is just be to relaunch foobar until Emu wins the plugin faceoff, haha.

Reply #534
First of all, thanks kode54, I really respect your work, and even when I noticed the latest bug, I stood still for about half a year, thinking "ahh, someone will point onto this, why should I double?" But ouch! I feel myself as I'm the only person in the world who listens to the SMD VGM's.
Now It passed 3 subversions, and the problem remains. I should speak of it.
The entire original
Based on Game_Music_Emu vX.X.X
Originally by Shay Green
http://www.slack.net/~ant/
has a flaw. Looks like it's not really obvious, and it make me anxious for a freaking decade LOL!
Something's wrong with the idea of looping VGMs.
The defaulest behaviour say it should play two time in a row, just because.. well, all the sega tunes are too short, right? Yep?
Not really.
And the funniest part came when that code lives on.
As it seems to me - the code don't really understand itself, what to call loop.
Now foo_gep entirely ignore any loopcount, and play it double.
Android version of comrade player DDB2 suppose that loopcount=1 means - "ok, play one time" while loopcount=0 goes "screw you entire timing, I'll play default length considered". As a couple of previous ones took zero as no looping. My gosh..
Looks like he initial code gets patch a bit by other developers in their product, where 0=1 1=0 2=default, and then they take the initial code once again and eventually we can has 0=-1 looping cycles.

Reply #535
Loop count is how many times it repeats the loop before fading. If you want two loops, you set it to one, and it repeats the loop once. I don't know why I made it that way.

None means play the file for its full length, then fade/stop.

Reply #536
Thanks for an instant answer!
But no, I mean it. Loopcount setting does not make anything for a quite versions already. Please, take a look at screenshots.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I think it's the right way to measure the looping times!
So we have 0 as not to loop, and 1, to loop once and have tune played for two times...

Reply #537
They will cut off automatically at the correct length. The playlist will not magically update to show the correct length, you must reload info for the new times to show up.

Reply #538
Thanks for an answer, but I'm not an idiot, that the modern people got used to. I know how to test software, and I'd check myself and options that I have, before bugreporting.
All of my 2 post before said that I have this problems throughout time and certain changes.
I cleared the playlist, played different track from other playlist (in mp3), closed the fb2k, then reopened it and add the files to playlist and see no change.
PS May be the newer fb2k is the problem!? I'll check it out before your new message...

Reply #539
Link me to your files, then. If changing the loop count doesn't make the "reload info" show a different length, then the files in question do not have loop start points defined.

Reply #540
 ::) Something is very wrong with VGZ emulation

I've got the same packege, looks like updated.
There is 1x correct time and at first - give me the loopcount change made in options. While the old one remained the 2x at all time
Here is two files
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad1k9s7h0tnk7hi/AdvBats.zip?dl=0
At the same time, after restarting fb2k the time sticks to it's defaults,  matter what put to loopcount.
Two files - old and new is in the archive.
I can make further testing in 10 hours from now

Reply #541
Screw dayjob, we're talkin' precious Sega Mega Drive Genesis music!
The freshest install of Foobar2000, with up to date GEP plugin.
Being Loopcount: 1 make "old" and "new" files loop once (and played two times).
Set to none did the job... man.
I'll do further testing on the home PC to catch that conficting something.
As for now, let's consider the bug very specific and forget for now, 'till I return with information after deeper digging the problem.
Anyway, sorry for bothering

Reply #542
That was... interesting. But I got it, and fixed.
The wrong, doubled time of the exact VGMs was stored in the library by it's paths. Renaming a directory and adding it to a playlist - already showed the correct time. But I want to keep the names.
Only when I remove the chiptunes' directory from the library — make it finally solved.

Reply #543
Oh, heck. I store tags in a database by hash or path, and length of non-SPC files should not be affected by this database entry.

Reply #544
Heh, I'm glad that inconvenience I found is real and maybe ought to be fixed someday.
Here I'd show last screenshot I made. Any instance of the file obey the loopcount setting, except of one that stored in the library by the exact path.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks again for the work you do, kode54. If you need some testing — I'm here, now signed to the thread. and also I've got a chiptune dream feature request, that will make it's author legendary! ;)

Reply #545
In the newer versions something seems to be broken with a GBS set I am using: http://www.snesmusic.org/hoot/gbs/Super%20Mario%20Land%202%20-%206%20Golden%20Coins%20(1992)(Nintendo).zip

Basically, the track names do not correspond to the track being played on newer versions. Where on 1.186 for me the track names and output correspond fine.

During my searches concerning this issue I came upon a Reddit post where another Reddit user appeared to have had the same problem and suggested version 1.210 is where the change occured that caused this. He also seemed to suggest that GBS playback worked fine in  1.203. I myself can only confirm that version 1.186 works because it was the only old version I could find.

Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/foobar2000/comments/6s15r4/game_emu_player_playing_wrong_track/

Reproduction steps using the latest version published on Foobar2000's components repository at the time of this post (1.212):
Drag and drop 'Super Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden Coins (1992)(Nintendo).gbs' from the above linked archive into a newly created playlist

Play 'Super Mario Land 2 - Macro Zone' and notice that the output is actually the Invincibility music and not the Macro Zone music.

For reference: Macro Zone music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5P-BhwP7dM
And Invincibility music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQCUoyNwaco

Reply #546
Ask them to fix their stupid M3U playlists. Nobody can seem to agree on the correct format for those. The track numbers are either wrong in one rip, or wrong in another. People frequently mix up whether to make the subsong indexes 1-based, or 0-based, and forget whether the format they're applying them to is already 1-based or 0-based. It doesn't seem to matter if the numbers are hexadecimal or decimal based, nobody can agree on the correct standard. I'll welcome a pull request to "fix" it without breaking the same M3U playlists that I fixed with 1.210.

Reply #547
Ask them to fix their stupid M3U playlists. Nobody can seem to agree on the correct format for those.
Mister kode54
Isn't it a great time already to suggest your own container similar to NSFe?
They did it with NotSoFatso and seriously the exact plugin was not perfect.
But NSFe lives on and it's quite great IMHO

I downloaded the OST from well known Zophar's Domain, and none of my everyday music players can handle that M3Us adequately!
(Foobar2000, DDB2, ZXTune)
I've got couple of Winamps at home but... do we really should use such?

As for complete different solution:
The most annoying thing in dozens of original chipmusic formats for me is the good-old endless looping, that can be controlled forcing the playtime, but will occur some ugly endings and the worse — cutting the longer tracks. As I mentioned before
... and also I've got a chiptune dream feature request, that will make it's author legendary! ;)
That dream chiptune plugin is one that detects loops, solving that one-for-all chiptune problem.

As I see it - the control on sound processing level, comparing the output waveform. Plus to have a bit of a settings. Like "detect silence" and a few more.
Shortest track preferred after loop (like when there is some 2 second jingle looped to make it 4 times loop) and the longer preferred (If the chorus is 25-40 seconds, to loop it until 1m 20s)
That would become a milestone for chiptune players and if would be open sourced — will be added everywhere ever after

Reply #548
Exporting (as FLAC, and with no DSPs) and examining the output of GEP (also foo_input_usf) reveals clipping on some tracks. (If you need proof, I can provide screenshots.)

I'll accept clipping that would have occurred on the original consoles, but do GEP and foo_input_usf (and any other related plug-ins) amplify the generated sound? (I know the SPC part of GEP is about 6dB louder than foo_snesapu.) If they do, then please add the option to disable the boost (or better yet, adjust the gain).

Reply #549
The boost in foo_gep for SPC is disabled by default, as is the analog filter simulation, which is an integer scale effect. GEP SPC should be the same volume as foo_snesapu in the default configuration.