Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I'd like to extract a segment of an MP3 file without transcoding. (Read 3210 times) previous topic - next topic

I'd like to extract a segment of an MP3 file without transcoding.

I have a lot of long mp3 trance/dance mixes. In most of them, there are one or two songs I really like. Is there some way I can extract segments without having to do the MP3>wav>edit>MP3 thang? Also, since it will be an abrupt edit in the middle of a mix/fade, can I "fade" in or out the start & stop.

Just for the record, I've done the transcode to wave-edit-re-encode before, and for car / listening-at-work apps, it's not a severe fidelity hit. But if I could avoid it, all the better.

Thanks all;
Artie

Re: I'd like to extract a segment of an MP3 file without transcoding.

Reply #1
Try mp3directcut, but you can't fade.

Reply #2
Actually, mp3DirectCut also does fading.

Reply #3
Thanks guys. I'll check it out.

Reply #4
As someone who downloads a lot of BBC radio programmes (which often include bits of preceding and following shows) via the SquarePenguin get_iplayer software, I can't recommend MP3DirectCut highly enough.

It just works, fast'n'simple. There are menus of other options, but, to be honest, I've never needed to explore them. You want a fade? Click and drag to select a section of the track and hit Ctrl+F. It'll fade from the first selected part to the last.

Reply #5
Sorry for being slow to respond. MP3DirectCut did exactly what I needed. Thanks all, for the recommendation.    8)