Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Dolby Headphone Wrapper DSP (Read 336412 times) previous topic - next topic

Dolby Headphone Wrapper DSP

Reply #50
I just wanted to express my gratitude to Chungalin for adding this great fuctionality to Foobar.
I have been ripping my CD's to wav files using itunes (for the proper artist/album/track names), processing them using the dolby DSP and a bit of EQ and then importing the processed waves back to itunes as AAC's for use in ipod. This has made the ipod listening experience with ear-canal phones (Sony MDR EX90) a very pleasant one. The low end feels right, there is a real sound stage and the sound is not thin and weak anymore.
I like the Dolby algorithm better than the AKG Hearo and 4front plugins.
The Hearo is also decent sounding, but has some weird artifacts that sound like clipping even with low level sounds. But, even if it didn't have any artifacts I still could not print its effect to file.
The Dolby DSP with Foobar solution is just great.
One nice side effect of using it is less of a need for volume in order to hear the mix properly. When everything is dry, I find myself turning up the volume in order to appreciate the recording. With the Dolby process, even at low volumes everything falls nicely in place. All portable players should come with a similar processor build in.

To Chungalin:
One little bug I discovered is that the conversion with Dolby DSP can not take place in the background during playback of the same file or there will be dropouts/hickups and they will get printed to the converted file. Maybe you could put some safeguards in place in the code so that the background processing does its thing regardless of what else Foobar is doing?
Thanks again.

Reply #51
Thanks thuneau for your feedback.

Regarding the bug you report, yes, I was expecting this to happen (unfortunately). The point is that Dolby Headphone engine DLL is not multithread compatible. This means that only one stream of audio can be processed at a time for a given process that has loaded the DLL. Given the time shifts that Dolby Headphones introduces to signal, the DLL needs to use a small buffer to keep part of the previous input audio. Then the filter is not exactly 1:1 on every call. If you mix calls from different audio sources you will get a mess on output, since previously buffered samples from source A (play) are mixed with samples from source B (convert).

However I was expecting this to happen whenever concurrent play and convert with DH is performed, not only when a given file is being played/converted at the same time. I'll check it.

Reply #52
I am delighted to find this wrapper.  For some time, I have wanted to encode my MP3s with Dolby Headphone and have them portable.  I use the Lake plugin in MusicMatch now, but that tethers me to a computer.

Now, the request for help.  The current version of FB2K seems to be 9.3.1.  However, the diskwriter plugin for WMA files is for version 8.2 (I think) and won't load, and the Nero plugin is just plain missing - the link is broken.  So the million-dollar question is: How do I re-record the encoded sound back to a WMA or  MP3 or some such file without conversion to analog and back to digital?

Help for this newbie will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
        -Peter

Reply #53
Same newbie again.  I got it licked - apparantly, Conversion is the new name for playing, applying DSP, and saving the output.  Hence, diskwriter wasn't ported.

Beautiful plugin, beautiful platform.  Gave me what I wanted, and it allowed me to convert my whole library in  one operation, keeping artist\album\title directory structures  My thanks to all.  Now just one problem.  I recorded all of my CDs to MP3s in a lossy manner.  Now, I have to go back and re-rip them all losslessly to the hard drive and then convert to MP3 with the Dolby Headphone DSP active.  Sigh.  I guess that I will be here a while.

Reply #54
Thanks! This is great. Dolby Headphone is the only satisfactory way to play "for speaker mixes" on the the ER-4B. I'd like to use Dolby Headphone as VST to check mixes for speaker when I'm mixing on the ER-4B. Is there any chance for a port or releasing the protocol?

Reply #55
Hello,

Would like to say you have done a great job on this wrapper.

Aristotel

Reply #56
For those who where asking here, a Dolby Headphone wrapper VST plugin has been just released. The plugin is available for download at Tasty Mousakas website.

Thanks Tasty Mousakas for following the spirit of independent Dolby Headphone wrapping that I started here. I whish there would be more efficient people like him to spread DH usage in other audio platforms.

I have vague plans to develop an independent DirectShow filter to wrap DH, but starting in DirectShow requires discipline and a lot of time. I can make no promises, but I really miss DH inside BSplay, for instance.

Reply #57
It doesn't work for me. In Cubase all it does is to mute the sound. Maybe it's incompatible with my version of DolbyHph.dll (1.2.0.222).

Reply #58
It doesn't work for me. In Cubase all it does is to mute the sound. Maybe it's incompatible with my version of DolbyHph.dll (1.2.0.222).

I got it to work in Bidule (www.plogue.com) no problem. I did you move the DOLBYHPH.DLL to the "System32" folder as mentioned on the website?

Reply #59
Yes, the file was already there. But I also tried it by putting the file in the same folder as the plugin.

Edit: I tested the plugin in Bidule and it worked. So it seems to be incompatible with Cubase. That's somehow like a webpage being incompatible with Internet Explorer.

Reply #60
Yes, the file was already there. But I also tried it by putting the file in the same folder as the plugin.

I also have version 1.2.0.222 of the dll. It also works with Audiomulch (www.audiomulch.com). I don't have Cubase to try it on. Anybody else does?

That's somehow like a webpage being incompatible with Internet Explorer.

If only Microsoft would comply with the web standards

Reply #61
Hello,

The original website seems to be down (at least for me). Can anybody post the foo_dsp_dolbyhp.dll file somewhere else? Or email it to me? For Foobar2000 0.9x, of course.

Thanks!

Reply #62
Kblood and all others, I've uploaded the latest version here. Functionally it's the same as previously available from 3rd party plugins website but it has enabled the DLL path textbox. This way it's possible to manually enter relative paths, but now it's also possible to do some mistakes.

I hope this server failure is just temporary, because that is/was a very nice site to centralize all the fb2k plugins.

Reply #63
Thanks a lot!!!

Reply #64
I use that component with version 1.2.0.222 of the DLL and this component is propably the one and only dsp component that's really worth using for everyone. My Sennheiser HD485 already sounded great but with this add-on it's another dimension of quality. Music suddenly sounds so natural and full. Thank you very much for that idea and the execution. I've been listening to records I haven't been listening for a long while because of that component. It totally rocks!

Reply #65

Just use your computer's local search function and search for that file on your hard disks. If you find it, you're lucky.

Edit: I found a definite and legal download location for version 1.2.0.222 of the file. Download and install the NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder Platinum 30 day Trial. After the installation you will find the file in your system32 folder. Just copy the file to a save location and uninstall the software.

Thanks for your efforts dude.

When I want to install they want a code for the bought produkt 
So this doesn't work

One Question in VLC there is also a special audio filter for Headphones.Is this similar to the DolbyHPH.dll ?

EDIT: I found this link which seems to offer the .dll legal for free

Reply #66
Thanks saberrider. As always, 99% of the credit goes to Dolby and Lake for researching and developing the math and physics behind this incredible sound processing.

Of course it all depends on tastes, after all. You'll find other headphone enthusiasts that prefer a lighter crossfeed, others say DH alters audio too much. For me it's essential for listening to music through headphones. I feel happy if at least 1% of the 11600 people who have downloaded the plugin so far think the same as me.

I've been asked to do the same with Dolby Virtual Speakers (5.1 to 2 speakers virtualization). Is anyone out there interested in using this kind of stuff? Not me, but...

By the way, 3rd party plugin website is running again. I won't remove the link above, in the case someone else needs the path edit feature.

Reply #67
Man, this is a great DSP. Any chance to get a winamp version of this? As it is, I'll be converting the files so I can listen to them in Winamp with Milkdrop, tedious to do that every time but it could be worth it.

Someday they'll be native Milkdrop for foobar...

edit: by the way, a lot of stereo sources sound great on this. Tool - 10,000 Days sounds fantastic, it moves the sound field out of your head and really makes it interesting. Some stuff though, like Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth, sounds absolutely terrible. About With Teeth though, I tried the 5.1 version (the AC3..not the DVDA) with the default downmix (no DSP), with DHP, and the stereo version with and without DHP. I'd say in order from best to worst, 5.1 w/dhp, stereo, 5.1 w/o dph, stereo w/dhp. I also watched Vanilla Sky, The Wall, and Queens of the Stone Age - Over the Hills and Through the Woods with this (well, in PowerDVD) which are all 5.1 sources and they sound fantastic. Man, I can't quit raving about this, I love it. I fell in love with Pro Logic II last year when I got a new amp...and I'm falling in love with DHP. Is there anything Dolby can't do??

Reply #68
You should upmix stereo material to at least 4 channels before feeding it into the plugin. I use the "Convert Stereo to 4 channels" plugin and set the volume to 50% in the settings of the "Dolby Headphone" plugin to compensate for the doubled volume which would otherwise cause severe distortion. That gives me best results. Upmixing the signal to 5.1 channels via the "Channel Mixer" plugin did not yield better results.

Reply #69
It has already been discused about the convenience to upmix stereo material to more channels before feeding it to DH. Some consider it redundant since it has to be downmixed again to stereo. Theoreticaly it should not be necessary, but think for a moment on how DH does its work. Do you think they have coded a different algorithm to optimaly handle every possible combination of input channels that it can actually accept? No. They coded a 5.1 to 2 algorithm that is very good, and that is what we like. What is questionable is, what do they do when there're missing channels? I think they just do like it was silence on that channel.

And here is where things can be improved. If those of you who have 5.1 speakers prefer some kind of upmix to listen stereo material, then the same can be applied with DH. Just think as if you had a physical 5.1 system, optimize it... and then put DH at the end. For me it's that easy!

For Stereo stuff I place in front of DHW Skipyrich's Channel Mixer plugin with:

Mode: Upmix
Center: 0.75
Subwoofer: 0.00 (or disable subwoofer)
Rear in front: 0.00 (of course)
Rear, Volume: 1.00, Front in rear: 0.30

Reducing the internal volume to less than 100% is not recommended, since it reduces dynamic range. If the volume is too loud or not it will depend on your output settings (DAC, amp...), but in any case DH should not generate distortion by itself if input is not clipped. Then with a 5.1 input it would have 6x volume?

Reply #70
I agree with Hancoque. Stereo to 4 channels --> Dolby Headphone is very very good. Interestingly, stereo to 5.1 --> Dolby Headphone sounds EXACTLY the same as Dolby Headphone by itself.

I do get a volume increase with the stereo to 4 channels plugin, but absolutely no clipping. Perhaps it's because I have replaygain turned on? I tried some loud albums (Mezmerize, -11.86) and quiet ones (The Wall, +1.41) and there was absolutely no clipping.

Reply #71
I think they just do like it was silence on that channel.
Exactly. That's why it sounds so strange when only two channels (stereo) serve as input. It's because there is missing at least half the "room information". If you feed the plugin a stereo signal it's like everything is coming from the front, because the 2 stereo channels only connect to the 2 front input channels of the virtual 5.1 system. The 2 rear input channels remain unconnected.

The problem is that a (virtual) room sounds different if you hear everything only from the front than if you hear everything from both the front and the rear. The latter positions everything in the middle of the room (where you are) and not at the "walls" where the (virtual) front speakers reside. That's what should cause the audible difference between 2 and 4 channel input and that's why 4 channel input should yield a better listening experience than 2 channel input, because the virtual room acoustics are better utilized.

Reducing the internal volume to less than 100% is not recommended, since it reduces dynamic range.
I know, but since I have no separate volume plugin, this was a convenient way to do it. Additionally, if the signal would be properly processed as 32-bit Float that should not be a real problem. But in fact the "Dolby Headphone" plugin does clip the material even if the output is set to 32-bit Float, so I assume that it works in integer mode, which could indeed have a considerable impact on the dynamic range then.

If the volume is too loud or not it will depend on your output settings (DAC, amp...), but in any case DH should not generate distortion by itself if input is not clipped. Then with a 5.1 input it would have 6x volume?
I do get a volume increase with the stereo to 4 channels plugin, but absolutely no clipping. Perhaps it's because I have replaygain turned on? I tried some loud albums (Mezmerize, -11.86) and quiet ones (The Wall, +1.41) and there was absolutely no clipping.
Just look at the picture:

That is a short section of a track that is fed into the "Dolby Headphone" plugin. The DSP chain consists only of the "Convert stereo to 4 channels" and the "Dolby Headphone" plugin. The red line shows the signal with the volume set to 100% in the "Dolby Headphone" plugin settings. The green line shows the same signal with the volume reduced to 50%. The red signal is clearly clipped while the green is not.

If the "Dolby Headphone" plugin would properly support 32-bit Float there shouldn't be any clipping visible in the image but the volume should rise above the 0 dB line where the clipped areas are. In that case lowering the player's output volume could prevent any clipping at playback.

Reply #72
Very interesting and clarifying experiment.

The truth is that the plugin works with 32 bit floats, no conversion is made since DH DLL can work with both formats (integer and float). Which version of the DOLBYHPH.DLL are you using?

In fact there's a flag possibly related to clipping inside DH configuration, but for some reason I thought this setting wasn't important in user interface. I left it activated, just like all inspected apps did (PowerDVD, WinDVD). I'll make it "visible" so you can play with it an show us more useful wave comparisons like this.

Another strange point is that I cannot really notice volume difference between using "Convert stereo to 4 channels" and not using it. However I do notice that volume boost when using Channel Mixer.

By the way, I've just seen that a german guy has released a new plugin wrapper for Dolby Pro Logic II PL2XDLL.DLL. Maybe this has something to add to current discussion.

Reply #73
Which version of the DOLBYHPH.DLL are you using?
I'm using version 1.2.0.222 which you can get here.

By the way, I've just seen that a german guy has released a new plugin wrapper for Dolby Pro Logic II PL2XDLL.DLL. Maybe this has something to add to current discussion.
I'd like to try that. Does anyone know a legal download location for the DLL? Maybe some trial DVD player software?

Reply #74
For PL2XDLL.dll, you can download PowerDVD, it's in the AudioFilter folder when you've installed it.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10