Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CDDA to WAV is BEST? (Read 8842 times) previous topic - next topic

CDDA to WAV is BEST?

Hi all. I am new on this forum. So I have some questions. I don't like Flac, Ape and other lossless formats. I want to backup all my music CD collection to PC. I have 3tb hdd, so file size to me is not a problem. So my questions: How I get realy good quality from CDDA without any compression? How I sad I dont want to compress to Flac or Ape. I need best uncompressed quality form CDDA. So WAV format is closest to original CDDA ? And last question how to ripp CDDA to WAV with EAC, to get exact audio copy from CDDA? Maybe you have some guide or tutorial?  Thx for your time

CDDA to WAV is BEST?

Reply #2
So WAV format is closest to original CDDA ?

No. WAV is not better than FLAC, APE, etc.

And last question how to ripp CDDA to WAV with EAC, to get exact audio copy from CDDA? Maybe you have some guide or tutorial?

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...dio_Copy_guides

CDDA to WAV is BEST?

Reply #3
I asked someting in a similar mode, on another thread. I think the OP is really wondering if lossless codec like WavPack or FLAC are as good quality as WAV then what is the extra stuff being thrown out?

And if he has a 3TB hard drive or hard drives it doens't matter most likely.

And even at worst, as long as he has the WAV file if he changes his mind there's software like DBPoweramp that can easily convert the WAV to any lossless codec.

CDDA to WAV is BEST?

Reply #4
Oy.

Nothing is being thrown out.  That's why they're called lossless codecs, and they can be converted to whatever format you want.

CDDA to WAV is BEST?

Reply #5
I think the OP is really wondering if lossless codec like WavPack or FLAC are as good quality as WAV then what is the extra stuff being thrown out?

You're guessing. We don't know yet why the OP is against FLAC etc ...
But if it's for the reason you stated, then the OP needs to ask "what is the extra stuff that gets thrown out of a Word document when you zip it up (i.e. compress it)?"
The answer is nothing gets "thrown out", which is why when you unzip a Word doc it's the same as it was before you zipped it, and exactly the same goes for WAVs "zipped up" / compressed with "FLAC, Ape and other lossless formats".

C.

EDIT: Grammar
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

CDDA to WAV is BEST?

Reply #6

What did lossless do to you?

@Briz:
Plus, with lossless codecs you get the option of proper tagging. I believe you may regret your decision to go with .wav since the lack of proper metadata support makes browsing and maintaining your music collection harder than necessary. (Just in case you didn't know this already.)

CDDA to WAV is BEST?

Reply #7
Nursery Rhymes for the Children of Audiophiles

Humpty Dumpty was fat and depressed
Until Humpty Dumpty was losslessly compressed
So all the kings codecs could algorithmically
Play back Humpty Dumpty bit-perfectly

Perhaps that helps.

C.

Next, the story of the boy who cried jitter.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

CDDA to WAV is BEST?

Reply #8
Perhaps it is worth saying, explicitly, that lossless compression schemes, whether ZIP, FLAC or what have you, save space on disk by using a more efficient way of coding the information; this method of coding may take more computrons to read, but you can get absolutely the same output. The classic beginning example is to say that 5 A is more efficient of space than AAAAA, but you have to know a bit more about the meaning of the first two symbols; but absolutely no information is thrown away in this process.

And now we may resume our snarling at magical thinking and invincible ignorance.

CDDA to WAV is BEST?

Reply #9
I don't know.  The last sentence in the rhyme is too short for me.  Kind of throws the cadence off. 

CDDA to WAV is BEST?

Reply #10
I don't know.  The last sentence in the rhyme is too short for me.  Kind of throws the cadence off. 

Well, you see, something was lost in the lossless compression.

CDDA to WAV is BEST?

Reply #11
so to answer your question:

wav is an exact copy of CDDA data, yes.

But as the people before have mentioned there are no disadvantages of lossless compression formats but some advantages:

less filesize and most important the option of tagging.

CDDA to WAV is BEST?

Reply #12
The only things that make a wav file closer to the original CD data are its size, and the lack of proper tagging. In every other respect the lossless file is just as close to the original.