Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar converter bug (Read 2167 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar converter bug

Hi. When I convert using "Don't reset DSP between tracks" option in processing track lengths are not the same on the output. I can hear end of previous song in beginning of some songs. Please fix this bug in the next version of foobar2000.

Re: foobar converter bug

Reply #1
What kinds of DSPs are you observing this with?
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #2
new dBpoweramp/SSRC resampler and replay gain but I think this also happens with other DSPs.

Reply #3
the only option I have to get exact track lengths is to convert full albums to one file then convert with DSPs without option don't reset between tracks and then split tracks manually with audacity but that's ridiculous amount of work.

Reply #4
What happens if you use "Generate multi-track files" option in the converter?

(PS the thread should be in the foobar2000/General forum)

Reply #5
the only option I have to get exact track lengths is to convert full albums to one file then convert with DSPs without option don't reset between tracks and then split tracks manually with audacity but that's ridiculous amount of work.
Me too. There is plugin for Audacity that makes it slightly easier - http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=151858. It roundes duration only down to milliseconds. Also there is way to save "perfect" duration using foo_texttools and excel (or open office) to generate labels for audacity with minimum manual work.

What happens if you use "Generate multi-track files" option in the converter?
It does auto-align to frames (75 fps). This also slightly changes duration if source files are not aligned to frames. Yes, I know this changes in duration are insignificant.

Reply #6
Many plugins have to buffer some portion of audio (usually about a tenth of a second) and foobar2000 cannot know about it.

So IMHO it's not possible to fix it. Or it will require some changes in the DSP interface, and DSP plugins must be updated too.

Reply #7
this is still too much because converter has to think of albums as songs to convert them properly (without don't reset DSP between tracks). in that case I would have to take CUE sheets from converted files then convert them with DSPs then tag them or pair with CUEs and convert again. this would be easier but still it would take a lot of work and will round track lengths to CD frames. this is acceptable but I still prefer to do it in one step instead of converting 3 times.

Reply #8
thank you all for the replays especially Rollin. I'm new here and I didn't expect them that fast. I'll try foo_texttools and I hope they will fix this in the next versions of foobar.

Reply #9
new dBpoweramp/SSRC resampler and replay gain but I think this also happens with other DSPs.
Is there a reason to select "don't reset"? I see no problem leaving it unchecked with these DSPs (especially when using album gain).
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #10
yes I know. there is no audible difference when I don't use "don't reset" but you can see that signal is not continuous if you zoom with audacity at the beginnings and ends. I noticed this when I was timeshifting some tracks.