Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help with Soundcard and Headset (Read 1028 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with Soundcard and Headset

Hello!

Firstly, I must mention that my experience with audio, both hardware and software, are a tad limited. Hence why I'm posting here.

My setup
I have a Xbox 360 connected to the computer via the R/W(Red/White)-cables from the Xbox 360 VGA cable-set. The R/W cables goes into a 3.5mm adapter and from that into my motherboard's line in. I then use my Realtek drivers to playback all input through my ordinary output. This goes to my 2.1 audio rig.

Simply put it looks like this: Xbox 360 -> PC -> Audio device
My situation
Using this setup is fine but when moving into an appartment you can't play your music (or game etc.) very loud at 4AM, thus I need to prepare a better setup.
My plan
I was thinking about getting a headset or just some headphones which by itself seems like a simple task but here it gets more complicated. I browsed through headsets/headphones and saw that there are 5.1 (and even 7.1) versions and since I love a good sound system I must have one of those if the quality is good.

First question: Is 5.1 headphones using real surround-technology and will the trouble of getting a 5.1 setup give an awesome difference in my audio experience? (I won't go 7.1 since I'm not very wealthy ;))

So with headphones connected (with USB since that is what is needed to get the 5.1) I have to somehow route my 5.1 input from my Xbox 360 (more on that in a minute) to the USB headset since it is two different soundcards. To this purpose I was planning to use Audio Repeater which repeats audio from input in audio device X in the output of device Y.

Second question: Do anyone have experience with this particular software or you might have another software (maybe open source) to use. If so, do you have any comments or things I need to know about this?

So you might have noticed that I wanted 5.1 audio from my 360, which means that my PC would need to have optical audio input. For this I would have to get myself a soundcard since the integrated one certainly does not meet the requirements.

Third question: What is that input-connection called and what would I have to think about when buying a soundcard? I mean I rather pay a bit more and see my product as an investment rather than buying some cheap shit making my beloved music sound awful.

So that's my problem. I would by the way love to see some feedback on my plan :)