Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Stay away from Easy CD-DA Extractor /poikosoft.com (Read 27325 times) previous topic - next topic

Stay away from Easy CD-DA Extractor /poikosoft.com

I know most here probably use Exactaudiocopy or CDex and things of that nature but I am sure some folks here, like myself, use the software Easy CD-DA Extractor.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the developer Jukka Poikolainen displayed some shady tactics in handling valid userbase criticism of the latest update to his product; version 9.0 build 1, which was released 28th of November 2005.

When Easy CD-DA Extractor is purchased a user is presented with the following promises:

Code: [Select]
*) You will get all future Easy CD-DA Extractor versions for free.

*) You will have exclusive access to the new updates and add-ons.

*) You will get free technical support. Whenever a problem arises, you will always get help.

*) By buying the software, you also support the future development of the software, which means that you will get
new better versions in the future,
and you will get them for free, of course.

In version 9 he made all registered users "basic" users and he added aacplus codecs from coding technologies as part of a $14.95 "professional" upgrade.
Now the problem with this, is that a new license of 9.0 is $35.00 per user. This $35.00 includes the aacplus upgrade to Pro. An upgrade to Pro those of us who purchased the software when it was $24.95 costs $14.95.

See the problem here? An existing user would pay out $41.00 total for something a new user could get for $35.00.

Mr. Poikoloinen effectively alienated his existing userbase using the terms "Basic" and "Pro", overcharging existing users and not complying with the terms of purchase for existing users.

Naturally, there was quite a heated discussion over at the poikosoft forums from upset users. Mr. Jukka Poikolainen  has decided to cop out with an excuse as well as delete all the criticism of his recent decisions and lock his forums.

I am truly sorry I supported this company and I want to make everyone aware that this company does not support its users and engages in underhanded tactics.

Some of you may remember when the Audiograbber forums were spammed with emails from Element5, the seller for poikosoft. This was explained away as a hacker using poiko's Element5 account.

In light of recent events I am not so sure now.

Reply #2
Are you saying that there is no "basic" license available for new customers at about $20? If that is true, I think the old promises have been broken.

Reply #3
It appears that is true. Also,  I requested a non-expiring serial for version 8.2.4 from poiko when I told him I would no longer be returning to poikosoft.com. My request has gone unfullfilled.

For those who don't know, when you license Easy CD-DA Extractor your license expires every few weeks and you must get a new serial code. Poiko has told me in an email he can create non-expiring ones but he has yet to do so.

Reply #4
Interesting - so you're essentially "renting" an application in this case. Either you pay for the upgrade, or your rented app will expire. Even DRMed music has a longer lifespan :)
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #5
I checked the site. It seems that only one product is available for purchase: EasyCD-DA Extractor Professional, $34.95.

How stupid! The developer should have added a new product instead.

Like this:

- Easy CD-DA Extractor $ 24,95
- Easy CD-DA Professional $ 34,95 (with some extra cosmetics besides the new codec)
- and offer an ugprade path for $ 14,95

I am not saying this would have been morally any better, but the developer could have avoided possible legal problems and kept many of his customers happier.

Reply #6
I agree with Alex. I am leaving not because of the monetary issue behind the upgrade but simply his horrible handling of users that have supported him for quite some time. It is a shame really.

Reply #7
However, it would be nice to see some evidence. We have only your word, Jerry and you just registered to HA. The current Poikosoft website does not give information about the upgrade policy and the previous promises.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Reply #8
I see what you mean but you simply have to take my word. You will or you won't.

I provide nothing but information based on my interpretation of an event. One which was stricken from the internet record by Mr. Poiko.

You will either become his customer or you won't, but at least the tale has been told. 

Reply #9
I guess this thread ends up in the forum trashcan without reasonable proof.

[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%']Edit: typo[/span]

Reply #10
What kind of proof are you looking for? I am an unhappy customer relaying his experiences.

Shall I call CSI to look for the corpse???

Reply #11
However, it would be nice to see some evidence.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346377"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you know even 10% of Jukka's tactics, you have all the evidence you'll ever need. Pardon my french, but the guy is a scumbag.

BTW, I see Spoon still didn't learn to spell Poikosoft.

Reply #12
Something like another public discussion with many complaints might do.

I just mean that the rules are strict here and the moderation usually cleans unproven claims away. I don't think they can allow public blaming of one specific program without reasonable proof.

Reply #13
I just mean that the rules are strict here and the moderation usually cleans unproven claims away. I don't think they can allow public blaming of one specific program without reasonable proof.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346393"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm ready to swear with my hand upon the Bible. Let's all take oaths!

Reply #14
The TOS makes no mention of this situation, only proof (double blind) for audio is mentioned. TOS 1 covers HA's back.

TOS 7 could be used by the admin to junk it, but i personally don't see why they should.

Kristian

Reply #15
I don't know a thing about mr. Poikolainen's tactics. I am not his customer. I am not even interested about his product. However, I think better evidence is needed before a public ban.

I need at least 20 oaths. 

Reply #16
*will give oaths for more hours per day*
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #17
>BTW, I see Spoon still didn't learn to spell Poikosoft.

I didn't want to waste any more time on that guy, but as you asked I corrected the spelling

> Audiograbber forums were spammed with emails from Element5

Wasn't the forums, but rather an email sent to all AudioGrabber customers with an upgrade offer, the letter was not clear that is didn't come from Audiograbber.

The Pokiosoft guy gives in negative remarks, around 1 year ago he wanted to go back on the upgrade for life deal and start charging for upgrades, he caved in. Want to post where he cannot delete your message?:

http://www.download.com/Easy-CD-DA-Extract...466905.html?v=1

These votes are no longer as prominent as they used to be.

Reply #18
This discussion thread was pointed to me by a regular user of Easy CD-DA Extractor software.

Eric Haupt (Note: email address removed by Admin at the request of user) [the same buy who have sent me the similar e-mail yesterday] here makes many wrong statements.

I wanted to register to these forums and correct them.

- Eric is saying that Poikosoft has promised he all future upgrades for free:

It's true and he will still receive all future upgrades for free. The situatation just is that we have developed a better version ("Professional") for the users who want more (AAC, aacPlus) and because of the licensing costs of the technology, we cannot provide a free upgrades to ("Professional") version for the existing users. Eric seems to be upset by this althought he will still received FREE upgrades as always, just without the aacPlus technology.

You should note that even the users who purchased the software back in 1998 with $15 have been receiving all upgrades for FREE during all these years. They are still receiving the v9.0 for free as well as all future versions.

- Eris is saying "For those who don't know, when you license Easy CD-DA Extractor your license expires every few weeks and you must get a new serial code. Poiko has told me in an email he can create non-expiring ones but he has yet to do so."

Bullshit again. Once an user have purchased the software, he will receive a key that will unlock the software. The key will not expire. The key can be used to unlock the current version of the software anytime, without any limitation. However, sometimes, when a major version is released, the key system may change. For this situation, we have set up an automatic system at out website, where the user can get his key for the latest version. All users are informed about this when they have bought a license for the software.

- http://www.accuraterip.com/pokisoft.htm

You should not believe everything you read. The author of the accuraterip has wrote many lies about Poikosoft on his website and forums (his tactics to promote his own software over the competitors I think).

Jukka Poikolainen

Reply #19
Hohoho. It's quite some nerve to show up on a forum where you can't delete criticism posts, Poikolanen.

I won't comment further. The internet is packed with information about you and your... unusual tactics. I'll let people judge by themselves.

Edit: Nice thing you exposed his personal e-mail address. What, are you attempting to get back at him by flooding his mailbox with spam?

Reply #20
I'm sorry, but I don't think this is the appropriate place to continue this discussion.  It's one thing to have made the original post, but now it appears that multiple parties from other forums/groups are converging to begin (or rather continue) a flamewar that doesn't really have anything to do with HA. 

I don't see the point in having this issue spill over into the forums here.

Thread closed.