Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Strange EAC ripping problem (Read 3403 times) previous topic - next topic

Strange EAC ripping problem

I use EAC / REACT to rip my cd collection to FLAC/MP3. A strange problem occurs when I try to rip the Kill Bill Vol. 1 soundtrack. When I play back the first song (Nancy Sinatra), I can only hear the instruments but (hardly any) vocals. It sounds like one of the channels is left out.

It isn't a coding problem since it occurs while playing both the Flac and MP3. I have tried both by optical drives. Still the same problem.

Although the disc does not contain a copy protection logo, it does contain a data track. Could this be the source of the problem? Any thoughts how I can solve this?

Reply #1
I would guess that the CD contains a second TOC, so the computer sees a different version of this track than a CD player. As I recall, EAC at one time had a way to defeat this, but it has since been removed. Try DBPowerAmp instead.

Reply #2
I would guess that the CD contains a second TOC, so the computer sees a different version of this track than a CD player. As I recall, EAC at one time had a way to defeat this, but it has since been removed. Try DBPowerAmp instead.

Thanks, still the same problem however. EAC did not report any errors while ripping the cd. Should I worry about the quality of the other 250 rips I made? 

Reply #3
I use EAC / REACT to rip my cd collection to FLAC/MP3. A strange problem occurs when I try to rip the Kill Bill Vol. 1 soundtrack. When I play back the first song (Nancy Sinatra), I can only hear the instruments but (hardly any) vocals. It sounds like one of the channels is left out.
In that track the guitar plays on the left channel and Nancy Sinatra sings on the right channel. The channels are almost completely separated.

Check the audio settings (balance) of your player software, operating system and hardware. Or perhaps the connection of your audio-out (or headphone) is broken. When a jack/phone plug is not plugged in correctly it may output only one of the channels...

Reply #4
Continuing from Smack's answer, my friend had a similar problem...this fixed it, maybe you're having the same issue.

Go into your volume control, click Options, Properties, and then make sure everything under Playback is checked. Click OK.

Next, look at the volume control itself. If you have anything that says something like "3D Sound" or "Sound Enhancer" or something like that, turn its volume all the way down and mute it.

Reply #5
Continuing from Smack's answer, my friend had a similar problem...this fixed it, maybe you're having the same issue.

Go into your volume control, click Options, Properties, and then make sure everything under Playback is checked. Click OK.

Next, look at the volume control itself. If you have anything that says something like "3D Sound" or "Sound Enhancer" or something like that, turn its volume all the way down and mute it.

Thanks! This solved my problem. A jack wasn't plugged in properly