Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Burn-in, real or imagined? (Read 8290 times) previous topic - next topic

Burn-in, real or imagined?

Reply #25
The thing with these topics is that there often is a grain of truth, but audiophiles often have added so many layers of nonsense around that...

If you say "yes, it's true" then the audiophile will assume it's all true, which is completely wrong.
If you say "it's all false" then you are denying that grain of truth.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #26
Notwithstanding the possibilities of actual change in components with mechanical parts, this is the experience that made me doubt "burn-in..."

I go to a lot of South-Indian Classical concerts. They are often in halls with poor acoustics, poor equipment, and poor engineers. The resultant sound is not very good. I watch the guy at the mixing desk achieve this level of not-very-good and then wander off outside to his newspaper/phone/whatever. Assuming that he has not set the levels to physically painful (It's acoustic music, for god's sake!), within 15-30 minutes I can hear the music a little better. I'm not sure that it is a night-and-day-difference, or one that could be heard from a kitchen (actually, yes, I think the same effect would happen to the listener in the kitchen) but there is an improvement in clarity and the ability to hear the separate instruments and voice. The sound guy is lighting his second cigarette outside, so what's changed? Nothing outside my head

The ears and the brain can work together to produce wonders, not just illusions. I don't understand why audiophools don't find that whole area fascinating.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #27
A lot of headphones when you first wear them can be uncomfortable.  Often because padding needs to broken into like a new pair of shoes.  This doesn't apply to speakers at all and thank god for that.

Reply #28
Notwithstanding the possibilities of actual change in components with mechanical parts, this is the experience that made me doubt "burn-in..."

I go to a lot of South-Indian Classical concerts. They are often in halls with poor acoustics, poor equipment, and poor engineers. The resultant sound is not very good. I watch the guy at the mixing desk achieve this level of not-very-good and then wander off outside to his newspaper/phone/whatever. Assuming that he has not set the levels to physically painful (It's acoustic music, for god's sake!), within 15-30 minutes I can hear the music a little better. I'm not sure that it is a night-and-day-difference, or one that could be heard from a kitchen (actually, yes, I think the same effect would happen to the listener in the kitchen) but there is an improvement in clarity and the ability to hear the separate instruments and voice. The sound guy is lighting his second cigarette outside, so what's changed? Nothing outside my head

The ears and the brain can work together to produce wonders, not just illusions. I don't understand why audiophools don't find that whole area fascinating.

Because the audiophools are perfect... all imperfections must be outside of them ! 

I've made tons of prototype CIEMs in order to achieve an acceptable natural rendering, the more i read audiology books.. the more my headphones sound right.
The more i read or listen the audiophile community the more they sound unnatural and unaccurate.

Reply #29
With my Quad 57s, there is a manufacturer's recommended burn in period of 24 hours. With older electrostatic speakers, if I remember correctly, this was quite common. There was also the belief that the longer an electrostatic panel is charged, the smoother the sound.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #30
a] Burn-in ends the day before burn-out starts.

b] With time the stresses (both positive & negative) of choosing, getting, installing & paying for the component fad.
Kevin Graf :: aka Speedskater

Reply #31
With my Quad 57s, there is a manufacturer's recommended burn in period of 24 hours. With older electrostatic speakers, if I remember correctly, this was quite common. There was also the belief that the longer an electrostatic panel is charged, the smoother the sound.

The gigantic thin mylar membranes are probably very sensitive to temperature variations... they should sound everyday different