Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Financial Times : The New Age of Analogue (Read 22067 times) previous topic - next topic

Financial Times : The New Age of Analogue

Reply #25
omg did you actually have to Wikipedia-link the cassette? How old are we?

From Wikipedia,
In 2011, the revised Oxford English Dictionary announced it would be removing the word "cassette tape" from its Concise version, causing some media backlash.
The term was removed to help make room for more than 400 new words being added to the dictionary.

Financial Times : The New Age of Analogue

Reply #26
derty2, I don't think I have ever seen the aesthetic issues put so well.

the main reason it refuses to die is because the people who designed the newer digital technologies IGNORED the humanist qualities of the medium.

It was not the technology, but the packaging that ignored those qualities. Reducing the artwork in that way was enough of a disaster, but who, I wonder, then said, "And we'll use a horrible brittle plastic for the boxes, but call them jewel cases."  Hope he spends a chunk of eternity with his broken jewel cases!

There used to be a gag that that the guy who designed the jewelcase was on a percentage, so he made them as breakable as possible. If that was actually true, you should look out for a solid gold house in your neighbourhood and, if you find it, organise a lynch mob.

As regards other posts on this thread, I used to LOVE making cassette compilations, despite all the faffing about. Cueing up the exact start of the tape with a hexagonal Bic biro, then using the same pen to try and write the artist/track title without running out of space on the j-card. Having had to fill out a lot of paperwork recently, I can confirm that the latter is a skill I've lost since going digital. BTW, the French abbreviate the cassette as "K7" - think about it for a second...

I still buy vinyl, partly because a good LP still sounds great, but also because I buy mainly second-hand, and the selection of CDs available in the shop always seems less varied and interesting.