Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iTunes tags gone after Replaygain (Read 13621 times) previous topic - next topic

iTunes tags gone after Replaygain

Reply #25
[deleted]

Reply #26
[deleted]

Reply #27
AP 0.8.8 actively disallows setting iTunes-style metadata on 3gp files. 3gp files are determined by ftyp major brand. If you want to tag a 3gp file you have to use a 3gp asset. If you have a major brand of mp42 or something like that, iTunes-style tags should work. There isn't anything in the 3GPP TS 26.444 version 6.4.0 spec to accommodate iTunes-style metadata - and so there is no support for it in AtomicParsley. The album tag will only be added on 3gp6 & later files. 3gp assets and iTunes-style metadata are strictly separated. For 3gp files, you need:

AP.exe file.3gp --3gp-performer "El Perfomerero" lang=spa UTF16 --3gp-title "The Title"

Here's the cli arguments I was asked to test with for location:
Code: [Select]
--3gp-location "Bethesda Terrace" latitude=40.77 longitude=73.98W altitude=4.3B role="real" body=Earth notes="Underground" lang=pol UTF16

The 'tags' fix occurs on Mar21; the latest rolled out release was just recently:
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/ato...ey.cpp?view=log

I'm willing to crawl back under my rock. I will send the request for.... editorial annotations to occur up the line.

Reply #28
Spoon, I noticed problems with tags too in dbpoweramp with your new mp4 codec pack. (which supports the new nero aac encoder.)
1) convert flac to m4a using -q.32 (edited options.txt for this)
2) when checking tags, foobar and mp4tag show nothing. tag&rename, itunes and mp4ip tools all show tags.
3) when re-writing tags using tag&rename, same result.
4) when re-tagging from scratch using tag&rename, tags show up in all programs.

What do you use for tagging? Is this the same problem described in this thread?

Also, not related to dbpoweramp, I wonder what happens (as described previously in this thread) what happens when you tag using the nero tagger or foobar, then load the files in itunes and change tags. Since tags seem to be duplicated, won't itunes show the modified tags but foobar show the (non-modified) nero tags?

On a personal note, I must say that this entire situation reminds me of 2 things:
1) the tagging mess that is id3v2. (admittedly this only affected me starting foobar 0.9)
2) the tagging mess that is foobar 0.9. (we are right and everybody else is wrong.)

Foobar is still the best music conversion tool out there, but its ideas of how things ought to be has me searching frantically for alternatives. Nothing suitable found yet though

Reply #29
My guess is the nero encoder writes a simple tag, we write an iTunes tag and fb will only read the nero tag rather than itunes if present?

Reply #30
[deleted]

Reply #31
Then you should complain to the ID3v2 people.

My point was: mistakes have been made in the past with id3v2, let's not make them again with mp4 tagging.

Exactly what tagging mess are you talking about in foobar 0.9?  As far as I know, it's a "victim" of doing things correctly.

First rule of HA: any quality claims must be proven with evidence. Except when talking about foobar2000, that's like talking bad about the bible.

So what you are saying is you are trying to find software that doesn't implement the latest tagging standards such as ID3v2.4 correctly, and doesn't have any problems reading tags that are completely broken.

I'm saying that I want to find software which works with v2.3 tags when they are present, which works with v2.4 tags when those are present AND which tags mp4/aac/whatever files in a way which makes sure I can actually _read_ those tags in my music player of choice. I have such software. My post was not about id3 but about mp4 tagging. As long as foobar can not add cover art to files I will in any case still require an external tagger.

Reply #32
[deleted]