Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Changing Embedded Tags On iPod. (Read 2253 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing Embedded Tags On iPod.

I have a 60GB 4G iPod that is almost full.

I have been having a the dreaded iPod problem where it will not play any tracks; it just simply skips through the songs and won't play anything. I have found out this is because of the iTunes software trying to do something with gapless playback that does nothing but screw things up. Basically if I have iTunes open for more that a few minutes with my iPod connected to the computer it will screw it up to where I get the playback issues. I hate iTunes.

The only way to fix this problem I have found is to have have Anapod Explorer, my standard iPod interface software, run a scan for "mislabeled tracks". It will find errors where the embedded track info is different from the edited tag info I have fixed. It's mainly track errors like the artist's names being Coheed & Cambria and Coheed and Cambria . Stuff like that.

After running "mislabeled tracks" to fix the playback issues I have to go in and hand edit about 30 artist/albums with the correct tag info so that everything show up correctly and stays organized on my iPod.

I have had to do this about 10 times in the last month because of playback problems.

I would like to be able to permanently change the embedded tag info on these mislabeled tracks so that I will not have to go back and edit the info every time my iPod screws up and I have to fix it. I HATE iTunes but I do have to occasionally use it when convert mp3 audiobooks to a book markable format.

I would like to do this while the tracks are still on the iPod, but I realize that's probably not possible. Ananpod will allow me to move track on and off of the iPod, so I could move the tracks off, fix the tags, and then put them back on the iPod.

So, what (preferably free) software could I use to permanently edit the embedded tag info?

Thanks in advance.

Did I mention how much I hate iTunes?

Reply #1
It might be possible with everything on the iPod, but it's going to be a lot harder/slower.  I think moving everything off, resetting the iPod, clearing the iTunes library, fixing all your tags, and then re-adding everything will be a better long-term solution.

Have you looked at a utility like mp3tag?

<--- likes the Rockbox

Reply #2
I would prefer not to move everything thing off because I have 55 GB of files on the iPod, 8200+ artists and about 280 albums. Removing everything, fixing it, and putting it back on would take forever. Pls there are only about 40 artisits/albums that need to be fixed.

I do use dbPoweramp Music Convertor. Will its tag editor change the tag info for good?