Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Evaluation of Sound Quality of High Resolution Audio (Read 21300 times) previous topic - next topic

Evaluation of Sound Quality of High Resolution Audio

Reply #25
Probably more useful when the subject is given the opportunity to switch tracks in any order at its discretion, and even adjust the volume. The subject still remains under control.
What is missing is perhaps the significant category of "more pleasant in spite of the obvious imperfections" - "less pleasant despite the great detail." But it 1) must be prepared initially pleasant or at least a familiar melody of a particular subject, a subject that necessary to find out in advance. And 2) until such time as the subject for some reason gets tired or bored him the procedure of passing the test.

Reply #26
From M&M's report, it seems they ran 554 trials, apparently(?) in blocks of 10 trials per test (which doesn't divide evenly, I know...so maybe some subjects bailed during some tests)

According to the paper, 2 subjects out of 55 achieved 7/10 correct, 1 subject achieved 8/10 correct. Those were the best scores.

A score of 7/10 has a p=0.172, indicates that in 100 such tests, we 'expect' that  'success' rate to occur ~17 times 'by chance'.

A score of 7/10 should have a probability of nchoosek(10,7) x 0.5^7 x 0.5^(10 - 7) ~ 11.72%, not 17.2%. And this is not the p-value, by the way. For a one-sided hypothesis test, you would add up the probabilities of 7/10, 8/10, etc.

Once we have 55 subjects (each of which went through 10 trials), the distribution of outcomes is approximately normal and you use the normal (or Student's t) to do hypothesis tests.

My numbers come from the 'bino_dist.xls' table of (cumulative) binomial probabilities published by HA member kikeg, for use with ABX results.  The same numbers are used by foo_ABX

foo_abx 1.3.3 report
foobar2000 v1.2.2
2016/01/03 18:11:08

File A
File B

18:11:08 : Test started.
18:11:27 : 01/01  50.0%
18:11:39 : 02/02  25.0%
18:11:47 : 03/03  12.5%
18:11:51 : 04/04  6.3%
18:11:55 : 05/05  3.1%
18:11:59 : 06/06  1.6%
18:12:02 : 07/07  0.8%
18:12:09 : 07/08  3.5%
18:12:12 : 07/09  9.0%
18:12:19 : 07/10  17.2%
18:12:34 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 7/10 (17.2%)

(also displayed as"  'Probability you were guessing: 17.2%" in the foo_ABX GUI)

So you're saying they're doing it all wrong, or that my interpetation is?

Reply #27
Foobar2000's p-value?  We recently had that discussion.

It is the likelihood you could do the same or better by tossing a fair coin.

Any other interpretations that fail to fully encompass (or go beyond) what is stated above will be incorrect.

Reply #28
Right.
P(X=7) = 11.72%
P(X>=7) = P(X<=3) = 17.19%
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #29
This Pioneer N-50 they use may have some non neutral behaviour with 48kHz 44.1 response

The measurement you link to is suspect. From other sources, e.g. Hifi News, we can see from their measurements that at 48kHz and with the standard filter enabled the response is flat to 20kHz within + and - 0.04dB.

Reply #30
This Pioneer N-50 they use may have some non neutral behaviour with 48kHz 44.1 response

The measurement you link to is suspect. From other sources, e.g. Hifi News, we can see from their measurements that at 48kHz and with the standard filter enabled the response is flat to 20kHz within + and - 0.04dB.

Link?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #31
I don't know how to import images I've uploaded to other threads, so here's a link instead:
https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php...st&p=914043
https://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php...ost&id=8475

I also don't think I can provide a direct link to the source because you have to be a registered member with a passcode to view their data, which you can sign up for here:

http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/avtech/

Reply #32
This is as good as it gets, so no problem there. I haven't found this lately.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #33
This is as good as it gets, so no problem there. I haven't found this lately.

One  or two of the newest DAC chips I've tested lately have user-selectable FR curves that vary enough that one might even hear a difference among them, and one or more may actually sound different from ideal flat.

It's all in the spec sheets.

In the past there were a few DACs with user-selectable FRs, but they did  not IMO differ enough to be distinguished from one another in an ABX test. Didn't keep the usual suspects from hearing dramatic differences... ;-)

Reply #34
By my reckoning, the onus is on Dr Reiss to do the goose chasing. He's putting his name on paper and should vet every test he intends to use.
Not sure if I've seen a single test including a full measurement set, yes, including M&Ms.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Re: Evaluation of Sound Quality of High Resolution Audio

Reply #35
First of all, I'm not a huge fan of how poor the research standards of studies submitted to the AES.

Setting aside the issue of sample size and poor performance of ABX protocols for audio testing, we have to look at something more fundamental -- the unfortunate lack of equipment that actually rises to the needs of high-resolution audio in the online community that muddies the issue.

Reply #36
First of all, I'm not a huge fan of how poor the research standards of studies submitted to the AES.

Setting aside the issue of sample size and poor performance of ABX protocols for audio testing, we have to look at something more fundamental -- the unfortunate lack of equipment that actually rises to the needs of high-resolution audio in the online community that muddies the issue.
We await your evidence that this is actually a problem.

Reply #37
poor performance of ABX protocols for audio testing

When you say this, are you referring to the ABX protocols themselves, which have been proven to be satisfactory with proper testing procedures and adequate sample sizes? Or are you referring to the researchers' ability to adhere to protocol?

the unfortunate lack of equipment that actually rises to the needs of high-resolution audio in the online community that muddies the issue.

Seeing as it is completely impossible to reach 24 bits of dynamic range in the real world, this equipment will never exist.

Reply #38
the unfortunate lack of equipment that actually rises to the needs of high-resolution audio in the online community
What sort of psychiatric equipment would you suggest?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #39
poor performance of ABX protocols for audio testing

When you say this, are you referring to the ABX protocols themselves, which have been proven to be satisfactory with proper testing procedures and adequate sample sizes? Or are you referring to the researchers' ability to adhere to protocol?

I thought it was a well-known fact that ABX produces terrible results due to the nature of audio memory, psychological effects and brain chemistry? The terrible test designs seem really just like icing on the cake. That is why it is accepted that the only way to safely identify subjective listening results is through an extended process of relaxed listening conditions.

Seeing as it is completely impossible to reach 24 bits of dynamic range in the real world, this equipment will never exist.

Of course it is utterly impossible to achieve 24 bits of dynamic range in the real world, because pressure waves in the air do not exist in 24-bit increments. In fact, it is vastly, vastly, greater than that.

But at the very least, the discerning audiophile should be looking at wide-bandwidth equipment with as low noise as possible, playing source material that hasn't had most of its musical information stripped from it.

Reply #40
Apparently GUTB has been drinking the Kool Aid.

Reply #41
No, just another idiot troll and a rather weak zero creativity one.
Of course Xnor might disagree and welcome this one... ::)
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #42
Apparently GUTB has been drinking the Kool Aid.
My apologies if this sounded harsh. This is what I was referring to -

"Drinking the Kool-Aid" is a figure of speech commonly used in North America that refers to a person or group holding an unquestioned belief, argument, or philosophy without critical examination."

- and was aimed more at your sources of information than to you personally.

Reply #43
I thought it was a well-known fact that ABX produces terrible results due to the nature of audio memory, psychological effects and brain chemistry? The terrible test designs seem really just like icing on the cake.
No, this is not well known because it is not a fact. Please provide the sources that back up your claim.
And then please suggest a better method to test if there are audible differences and present your test design.

Reply #44
It's not a "claim", but rather a fact, isn't it? ABX testing has an absolutely abysmal track record -- not just because of poor testing procedures, but mainly because the human auditory system is so unreliable. That is why the only way to reliably identify a subjective aspect of audio quality is in a relaxed environment in which the sound of the material and the equipment is well-understood by and ingrained into the listener; the very first exposure to a change represents the most pronounced perception of a difference, and further listening with A/B comparisons is needed to target and describe small changes. The brain will begin smearing differences, filling in "gaps", and eventually make even large differences diminish. Throw in the stress of an ABX test just poisons the test further, and making participants have to identify specific pieces of gear among several is just begging for a null result.

To sum up, ABX testing is bad because it fails to accurately gauge differences perceived by listeners under normal listening conditions. It's basically worthless.

To address the question of high-resolution audio. Go to the 2L website and download a comparison, they have a bunch of them up. If you can't tell the difference between a 16/44.1 and, say, a DSD-256 version of the same DXD master -- I honestly don't know what to tell you. It's pretty obvious to me, even though my DAC doesn't support DSD decoding and my software has to convert it to 32/192. Well, maybe I DO have an idea -- it could be the difference won't show up on cheap hardware that might be the norm here (I'm listening through a TH900). I'll pull out my HD668B, and maybe use cheaper components in the cahin and see if the differences are noticeable.

Reply #45
I retract my apology.

Reply #46
It's not a "claim", but rather a fact, isn't it? ABX testing has an absolutely abysmal track record -- not just because of poor testing procedures, but mainly because the human auditory system is so unreliable. That is why the only way to reliably identify a subjective aspect of audio quality is in a relaxed environment in which the sound of the material and the equipment is well-understood by and ingrained into the listener; the very first exposure to a change represents the most pronounced perception of a difference, and further listening with A/B comparisons is needed to target and describe small changes. The brain will begin smearing differences, filling in "gaps", and eventually make even large differences diminish. Throw in the stress of an ABX test just poisons the test further, and making participants have to identify specific pieces of gear among several is just begging for a null result.

To sum up, ABX testing is bad because it fails to accurately gauge differences perceived by listeners under normal listening conditions. It's basically worthless.

No, the only proper way to reliably identify audible differences in audio signals is to eliminate every source of false information and focus only on the sound. That means a double-blind test with no knowledge of the provenance of the samples in question, until after the test has been completed.

The very reasons you mention are the reasons why ABX testing with instant switching is essential. For instance, I've had the very best results at distinguishing samples when I've narrowed down a particular snippet of music that I think is problematic in a particular codec, and played it over and over and over again, switching between A, B, X and Y in the Foobar ABX module, in order to find the particular problematic fade-in, fade-out, decay, pre-echo or whichever artifact I'm trying to identify.

With that method, I've been able to identify small differences that I would never, ever be able to discern in normal relaxed listening.

All of the reasons you mention are reasons why relaxed long-term listening is pointless for identifying the small differences ABX testing can find.

Yes, ABX testing is different from normal relaxed listening, which is why you can identify much much smaller differences in an ABX test, that you'll just gloss over when listening normally.

To address the question of high-resolution audio. Go to the 2L website and download a comparison, they have a bunch of them up. If you can't tell the difference between a 16/44.1 and, say, a DSD-256 version of the same DXD master -- I honestly don't know what to tell you. It's pretty obvious to me, even though my DAC doesn't support DSD decoding and my software has to convert it to 32/192. Well, maybe I DO have an idea -- it could be the difference won't show up on cheap hardware that might be the norm here (I'm listening through a TH900). I'll pull out my HD668B, and maybe use cheaper components in the cahin and see if the differences are noticeable.

Obvious, or only obvious when you know what you're playing? Don't forget that your DAC and other equipment may actually be distorting on the high-res samples.

Not to mention the elephant in the room: That the masters may be slightly different for each format, to artificially introduce a small audible difference.

And if the difference really is that obvious to you, why don't you do a couple of ABX tests and show us the results? Because if you can do what no one else has been able to do so far, and actually hear a difference, I'm sure a lot of people would be very interested in you, and your magic ears.

And good job with that stealth burn on the gear used by people on this forum.

Reply #47
It's not a "claim", but rather a fact, isn't it? ABX testing has an absolutely abysmal track record -- not just because of poor testing procedures, but mainly because the human auditory system is so unreliable.

Where did you get this foolish idea?  (That ABX has an'abysmal track record')?  Btw your gripe applies equally well to any double blind listening test, so why single out ABX, which is just one of several DBT protocols in use in psychoacoustics research?

That is why the only way to reliably identify a subjective aspect of audio quality is in a relaxed environment in which the sound of the material and the equipment is well-understood by and ingrained into the listener; the very first exposure to a change represents the most pronounced perception of a difference, and further listening with A/B comparisons is needed to target and describe small changes. The brain will begin smearing differences, filling in "gaps", and eventually make even large differences diminish. Throw in the stress of an ABX test just poisons the test further, and making participants have to identify specific pieces of gear among several is just begging for a null result.

You may want to inform academic psychoacoustics researchers of this stunning paradigm change.

To address the question of high-resolution audio. Go to the 2L website and download a comparison, they have a bunch of them up. If you can't tell the difference between a 16/44.1 and, say, a DSD-256 version of the same DXD master -- I honestly don't know what to tell you.

I know what to tell *you*.  One of them's not polite (hint: it's three words ending in 'troll').  The other is, you didn't do your comparisons in such a way as to minimize cognitive biases, so their evidentiary value for proving the 'difference' you heard are real, not imaginary, is nil.  For a fact, they would never pass muster in a scientific paper review.  Why should we give them any weight?

Reply #48
[...]
1) I didn't ask you for your biased opinion, I asked you for sources. You provided none.
"If you do as I did in a completely uncontrolled, bias-laden comparison and don't hear the difference ..." is akin to the good old but equally completely useless "even my wife heard it, from the kitchen with the door closed".

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. So that's that.

2) I also asked you to suggest a better method to test if there are audible differences and present your test design. You didn't provide that either.

So it looks like we're at an impasse, unless you have something of substance, i.e. non-anecdotal, scientific, evidence.

Reply #49
So....I gather you WON'T just head over to 2L, download some comparisons and listen for yourself?

The differences I hear are not minor, they are fairly significant. For example, I'm listening to the DSD-256 (downsampled to 32/192 PCM) version of MAGNIFICAT 4. misecordia now, and the improvement of quality over the 16/44.1 version is very noticeable. Instruments are much more separated. The reverb and decay of the violins is better defined, and the piano is much better defined. The vocalist does not get lost into the instruments during low points; her hard T's and S's are better defined. Overall the 16/44.1 version seems more compressed in comparison -- possibly because of lessened note separation.

A note on my equipment chain: I'm currently burning in a new DAC -- a Chinese DIY custom Sabre I picked up because I wanted to try out a Sabre implementation using high quality components (separate transformers for analog and digital circuits, high-end op amps, 0.1 ppm clock, WIMA and ELNA caps + Nichicon KG Gold output caps). Even though it's a Sabre, the XMOS board used doesn't support DSD or 384 kHz.