Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: delay before winamp plays an aac file (Read 4712 times) previous topic - next topic

delay before winamp plays an aac file

hi

when i drop an aac file to the playlist it takes 4 seconds until it appears
when i push play button i takes fantastic 7 secons before music starts
the filesizises are 100mb , 60 minutes (standard settings, -extreme)

P3 1ghz
winamp 2.71
in_aac.dll    dec 28 2001

it seems as if i am the only one with this problem, cause i found no comparable thread

mfG

Reply #1
Originally posted by Roomer
in_aac.dll    dec 28 2001

Have you tried newer binaries?

Your plugin is using Faad1. Faad already reached version 2 1.1 since then.

You can grab latest binaries at the link at the bottom of this post.

Reply #2
I got the AAC/MP4 Input Plugins package for Sonique and Winamp (In installed only the one for winamp). At the end of an AAC-File (MPEG version: MPEG4, Header: ADTS, Profile: Main LTP) winamp plays beyond the file and shows an error box: "FAAD Error - Unable to find ADTS syncword". This does not happen with the aac-plugin from dec 28 2001.
Is this a bug or is there something wrong with my aac-files? I have tested this with several files, all of them were encoded using Psytel.

EDIT: It doesn't seem to occur without an ID3v2 tag.
Always defragment your MP3s to avoid subtle lack in harmonics.

Reply #3
Originally posted by Tri
EDIT: It doesn't seem to occur without an ID3v2 tag.

You found the reason by yourself.

Indeed, the ID3v2 tag is the culprit.

Reply #4
Is there a possibility that this ID3v2-behavior will be improved or should I rather get rid of these tags?
Always defragment your MP3s to avoid subtle lack in harmonics.

Reply #5
I have the same problem with AAC files and winamp 2.80 with the latest faad AAC plugin (ie faad2 1.1). There's a delay of a couple of seconds when an AAC file is played, with much harddisk activity. The AAC files don't have any tags.

I took a (quick) look at the source code, and it seems that the problem is in the part where the ADTS frame header is read (read_ADTS_header in commonfaadaacinfo.c), because all frames are read (i.e. the complete file is scanned) to determine the correct time and bitrate of an ADTS AAC file. That is, this is my impression of where the problem lies, but I may be wrong... I tried fixing it, but unfortunately I do not know enough about the AAC stream format

Reply #6
Hi Roomer, I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem.  Well, I'd be glad if none of us have the problem!

I have two 100mb+ AAC files which take my computer about 10 seconds to load into winamp, and another 10 to start playing. 

I had a thread in the Technical AAC forum  (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/showth...=&threadid=2906)

I was told it is becuase the plugin loads the entire AAC file to begin with, which is a silly way to do it.  Menno is meant to be working on it, maybe if more people are experiencing the problem it could become a priority for him?
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #7
Ok, ID3v2 tags will be skipped again in a later version of in_mp4, just have to add that bit of code.

For the loading times I can add an option to not scan the whole file, in change for inaccurate bitrate calculation. Seeking will also be a bit slower then.

BTW: For the future I will only work on the in_mp4 plugin not on in_faad anymore.

Menno

Reply #8
ok, i tried the latest binaries too
but the same problem

scanning the whole file -> lol, now i undestand why it takes so long

what about a message like  "wait while loading.."  (hehe)

but,
if i take a 100mb mp3 , play it with winamp, time is correct and no waiting, why ?

im not a  "sourcecode writer and know what it means" - guy
my only experience was gwbasic  , long logn ago in school

but please try to explain it a little bit

somebody said that the time will be exact calcutated if the entire file is scanned
it seems as if the time of my files (the big ones) is still wrong (about 5 minutes too less)

@ mac:
im glad that i can share this problem

mfG

Reply #9
Originally posted by menno
Ok, ID3v2 tags will be skipped again in a later version of in_mp4, just have to add that bit of code.

For the loading times I can add an option to not scan the whole file, in change for inaccurate bitrate calculation. Seeking will also be a bit slower then.

BTW: For the future I will only work on the in_mp4 plugin not on in_faad anymore.

Menno

omg, that measn bye bye to cool .aac file extension, hafta convert to .mp4

Reply #10
Originally posted by Phobos

omg, that measn bye bye to cool .aac file extension, hafta convert to .mp4
No, he'll include AAC support into the MP4 plug-in just to make it easier with the patents and the stability of the plug-in... (I think, anyway, you haven't heard this from me...  )

Reply #11
AAC will be playable in in_mp4 (it already is in the latest source). I also don't know how mp3 plugins calculate the length of VBR mp3 files so quickly. Isn't there some tag added for VBR files that includes the song length?
If someone can explain, please do.

Menno

Reply #12
Originally posted by menno
I also don't know how mp3 plugins calculate the length of VBR mp3 files so quickly. Isn't there some tag added for VBR files that includes the song length?

Yes there's this "Xing" header, which is widely used for mp3-vbr (and also VBRI used by fastenc I think, but not so widely used...). It stores the amount of frames and seek-points (100 or 256?), making seeking fast and accurate but only for small files.

Reply #13
i splitted 2 mp3 files in 4 pieces per file, then tried to play every piece

CBR:
you can play it with winamp without wrong time, or long waiting 

i think there is no "master-header" at the beginning of a mp3

VBR:
time and seeking without problems
but bitrate seemed to be constant , with a strange value, seemed to be an average value that winamp displayed

perhaps it is possible to include the time calculation from mp3 ?

mfg

Reply #14
aac file are in fact not seekable... so to do seek aproching the plugin must parse the whole file to check 'frame' of the aac file.

i think to had this feature to the xmms plgin but... i don't know if this is really usefull...