Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: fb2k 1.5beta_20 (& lower): Default Volume Control level after switching outputs (Read 1281 times) previous topic - next topic

fb2k 1.5beta_20 (& lower): Default Volume Control level after switching outputs

When I change output in the preferences menu from UPnP (DLNA) (which has no Volume Control slider) to WASAPI (event), the WASAPI Volume Control slider always defaults to maximum volume.  If the player has not been stopped, it immediately starts playing at piercing loud 100% volume which could damage my speakers as well as my ears.  The "work around" is to always remember to stop the player before switching outputs, and then manually reduce the WASAPI Volume Control to desired level before playing anything.

Is this a bug?  I find it in 1.4 series as well.  In any case it needs fixing so that when switching outputs as described, the Volume Control defaults to minimum (or maybe 10%, or remember previous value) rather than 100%.  I switch outputs multiple times a day and it is all too easy to blast my system.  Please fix!

Re: fb2k 1.5beta_20 (& lower): Default Volume Control level after switching outputs

Reply #1
Thanks for reporting.
Annoyance noted, it will be addressed in a future update.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Re: fb2k 1.5beta_20 (& lower): Default Volume Control level after switching outputs

Reply #2
Actually, I now find a simpler workaround for me is to turn down the gain on my powered speakers, so that the system runs at a reasonable volume when fb2k Volume Control is at or near 100%.  This approach is in accord with the philosophy that components early in the chain should be run near full range to maximize number of usable bits (preserve sound quality), while output volume is then coarsely adjusted in the final stage.

Reply #3
This approach would be in accord with the philosophy that components early in the chain should be run near full range to maximize number of usable bits (preserve sound quality), while output volume is then coarsely adjusted in the final stage.
To accomplish this you could also try using a system volume tool like Volume2 (https://irzyxa.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html) which I found works well for me.

Reply #4
To accomplish this you could also try using a system volume tool like Volume2 ...
System Volume does not apply when fb2k overrides the system sounds.  However, I also set the Win 10 System Sound control near 100%, similar to fb2k setting, to produce acceptable volume thru the USB DAC and powered speakers when fb2k is closed.  Since Win10 System Sound already has handy built-in volume control features using mouse scroll wheel and keyboard arrow keys, there is no need for additional software.  However you may have to re-adjust the System Sound settings when selecting a different driver, for example using built-in speakers or headphone output instead of the USB DAC.

Reply #5
To accomplish this you could also try using a system volume tool like Volume2 ...
System Volume does not apply when fb2k overrides the system sounds.
Sorry, what I meant to say is that Volume2 allows you to control the DEVICE volume level settings, which do affect even wasapi-exculsive.  In other words, the slider marked "Device" on the Windows Volume Mixer (not "System Sounds").  This is with Windows 7 Pro SP1 and a Realtek audio chipset, so YMMV.