Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FAAD2 with dithering support (Read 4283 times) previous topic - next topic

FAAD2 with dithering support

Menno just released FAAD2 with dithering support, based on John33's dithering routines. (The same ones used on OggDec and OggDropXPd)

http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/files/faad.zip

Dithering option in Winamp plugins will follow shortly.

Reply #1
Now all we need is aacDECdrop with dither support...

Reply #2
Originally posted by Sachankara
Now all we need is aacDECdrop with dither support...

John33 is already working on that.

Reply #3
Er, what's it mean?
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #5
I read the article!  I thought it would be too long to be worth reading, but instead all the criticisms about it were too long to be worth reading!!  It explained what dithering is and what it does

So, I'm not too sure how that applies to FAAD?  If you're trying to play a 24bit AAC file on a 16bit system?

And btw, I've used 8-bit audio quite often.  I've found the high pitch artefacts on bass lines quite nice  That's the only time I've seen the square wave effect.  (sorry, the square stepping or whatever)

Reply #6
I forgot to say thankyou Roberto!  You're always being helpful!

Reply #7
Originally posted by Mac
So, I'm not too sure how that applies to FAAD?  If you're trying to play a 24bit AAC file on a 16bit system?

I don't know either, but I turn it on just to be safe.

I forgot to say thankyou Roberto!   You're always being helpful!

Hey, no problem. Always there for the mentally blessed AAC users.

Reply #8
Thnx roberto, already downloaded that new FAAD and the new winamp2 plugins, they are sweet, dunno what would we AAC fans do without you (or if we could ever try AAC) 

Reply #9
Originally posted by Phobos
dunno what would we AAC fans do without you
No kidding! I remember scrounging around ALL OVER the place trying to get ANY binaries let alone the latest and greatest. People used vague references like: "our Russian friend's server is up". Roberto is AWESOME!!!

Reply #10
Thanks, guys. You are too kind.

Originally posted by layer3maniac
People used vague references like: "our Russian friend's server is up".

They were mentioning this link:

http://aacfree.chat.ru/

There's a nice message there.