Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Parens, square brackets, or curly brackets in album names. (Read 1069 times) previous topic - next topic

Parens, square brackets, or curly brackets in album names.

Hello, I've noticed that some people use parens, square brackets, or curly braces when adding additional information to the albums. I created a forum thread a couple of months ago and the user "porcus" suggested using the curly braces because they are more unique  and less likely to appear in album names.  https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,121582.msg1003479.html#msg1003479

I don't care if square brackets appear in the actual album name because I can remove those if needed.  There are not so many albums with square brackets in them anyway.

The thing I'm curious about if the information in square or parens are picked up by any media playing software? I don't want the media playing software to read the information out of the square brackets. I guess that's not a problem with curly braces.

- 1976 _ Album [1978 US ~ Columbia ~ CK 23434]

Do you know if any software reads out the information from [] or ()? I don't want that.

Re: Parens, square brackets, or curly brackets in album names.

Reply #1
Hello, I've noticed that some people use parens, square brackets, or curly braces when adding additional information to the albums. I created a forum thread a couple of months ago and the user "porcus" suggested using the curly braces because they are more unique  and less likely to appear in album names.  https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,121582.msg1003479.html#msg1003479

I don't want the media playing software to read the information out of the square brackets. I guess that's not a problem with curly braces.
       - 1976 _ Album [1978 US ~ Columbia ~ CK 23434]
Do you know if any software reads out the information from [] or ()? I don't want that.
If these are folder names and your media playing software is using the tags then you'll be fine. If you've stored all this information in your album tag then you'll likely see it in your player too - unless you can customise it, and strip it all out like you can in foobar.