Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Setting up foobar in Windows 8 (Read 8429 times) previous topic - next topic

Setting up foobar in Windows 8

Running windows 8, and just put on foobar.  Any optimal setting I want to make right off the bat? Should I be using WASAPI?
I have an ASUS DX sound card, with 2.1 Logitech speakers if that helps.

Reply #1
The short answer is "no".

The longer answer is "not any more than on your previous OS for your previous player, so probably not".

I just went to 8 from XP, and just plopped foobar on it, and just copied back my profile, and now I have music. Simple as that.

Edit
Mistakenly presumed an OS upgrade, because I was projecting my feelings

Reply #2
Clean install, not an upgrade

Reply #3
Then, answer this question:

Do you want any other sound to play ( system sounds, skype, other IM's, flash content, ...) while you're listening to music with foobar2000?
If your answer is yes, you cannot use WASAPI (foobar one uses exclusive mode).

Do you care that your audio gets resampled (by windows, if needed) to the sampling rate that you setup in the audio playback settings (right click on speaker in taskbar)?
If your answer is yes, your feelings push you to use WASAPI.

In the end, it is up to how you use the computer where foobar2000 is located.