Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Expanded / contracted display? (Read 1158 times) previous topic - next topic

Expanded / contracted display?

Hello All,
I have been a long term user of foobar2000 and been able to use excellent advice for past posts to become reasonably proficient in setting things to work how I want, and all this to the point that I have missed such flexibility whenever I have tried to use some other server/render tool. This is the first time I have felt the need to start a thread with a question. the answer may be out there but it is hard to know what search terms to use.

I am using the standard layout editor with UI Elements - no 'skins or such' - with a box on the left, usually in 'Folder Structure' view, and another showing the album cover. The main panel is the 'Playlist' panel - though I don't use playlists as such. My entire catalogue is my playlist.

What I would like to be able to do, is to contract the display in the Playlist panel such that the tracks contained in each album are not seen until I select - or hover over - that album title, upon which the available tracks would be visible. In this way, it could be much faster to scroll through my library. I see that is is possible, for example, in the mobile app for Android, and in other mobile apps.

Is that in any way possible within the range of foobar2000 tools or components? If not, is there some skin or such that does permit this?

Perhaps I am being unrealistic in my hope.

(I doe see, with my folders arranged as they are, I can almost do this in Folder Structure view, but each folder must be opened, and re-closed, manually - which is clumsy)

I look forward to responses, even if those replies are to tell me I cannot!

Re: Expanded / contracted display?

Reply #1
I guess what you are looking for is a media library viewer with multiple columns.
As it seems you are using the Default UI (DUI), I think Facets is the best choice.

Reply #2
I guess you could also just use the Library Selection playlist - enable it in Preferences > Media Library > under Library Viewer Selection Playlist. Thus when you click on a tree node (artist, album) it just displays those particular tracks.

The issue is probably one of layout. Using a single playlist for your entire library is a bit limiting of options. Posting a screenshot of your layout might be useful. (You can attach files to your post)

Facets has a Playlist mode (source toolbar button) that shows contents of the playlist, and can quickly highlight tracks in the playlist like a jump list. Library mode, on the other hand, sends only selected tracks to Library Selection playlist similar to above.

Themes that use JS/SMP panels can be more dynamic with display. Something like Eole for example, expands the track list when clicking an album. (You can install portable foobar in a new folder to try out different themes without changing your main install)

Reply #3
Thank you for the replies. Some interesting options, so I shall get back to you when I have given them attention they deserve. Tuesday is the evening I am free to think about these things!

(One of my PCs does have two installations. I think I did that because I run a Korg DSD dac on one of them, so get no output unless that particular dac is connected.

Attached is a screenshot of my prsent layout. I missed the drag and drop box at first post.