Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Title formatting troubles (mainly simplaylist) (Read 2075 times) previous topic - next topic

Title formatting troubles (mainly simplaylist)

I'm having a lot of difficulty with the title formatting stuff.
I've already found the title formatting page on the wiki but reading what stuff does and applying that knowledge effectively are two different things.

Something which really bugs me are all the lines that simplaylist makes (see attached image 1).
Is there any way I can get rid of all this?

Also Simplaylist keeps showing Disc number despite the fact that I have entered them separately in the preferences (see attached image 2 and 3). I want it to show %subalbum% independently of %disc%. 

And lastly, foobar also keeps making everything I write between brackets lighter, which I don't want. Can this be changed?
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Re: Title formatting troubles (mainly simplaylist)

Reply #1
Something which really bugs me are all the lines that simplaylist makes (see attached image 1).

I'm not familiar with simplaylist, but I have a similar issue with esplaylist. What I did is add blank spaces at the left of the group header using the repeat function, for example:
Code: [Select]
%album composer% - %album% - %album artist% $repeat( ,1000)
The only downside is that you will see an ellipsis at the left end of the header, but it still cleaner than a whole line.
I'm late

Reply #2
And lastly, foobar also keeps making everything I write between brackets lighter, which I don't want. Can this be changed?

It's not foobar2000, but simplaylist. As it states in the wiki, you should use the $char function to display literal brackets.
I'm late

Reply #3
The only downside is that you will see an ellipsis at the left end of the header, but it still cleaner than a whole line.

Sorry, now I see why I never know where to fit on the political spectrum: I meant right end! :-[
I'm late

Reply #4
Hey there,

There are a few things that bug me too about both Facets and SimPlaylist - both fantastic components as they are, it is unfortunate their development did not continue. :(

(Edit: That might sound harsh - I'm not sure if something happened to the developer)

In Preferences > Display > SimPlaylist > Groups -

For 'Headers', the only way is what davideleo mentioned - use $repeat at the end to add spaces. I likewise find it looks better than the multiple lines. The only other downside is the tool-tip popup when you mouse hover the title with SimPlaylist (unlike EsPlaylist where you can turn that off). So depending on your screen resolution, maybe $repeat( ,350) is enough.

(I also add a $repeat( ,40) on the left to center the Headers a bit).

For 'Sub-groups' , the line only shows up on the first item, so you can add a non-existent field, say - [%null%] - as the top item. However it makes the sub-group text smaller. So it is a choice between, 1) slightly larger text with a line (the default), or 2) regular (playlist) sized text with no line. Or 3) use $repeat here too.

Also Simplaylist keeps showing Disc number despite the fact that I have entered them separately in the preferences (see attached image 2 and 3). I want it to show %subalbum% independently of %disc%.
Playlist grouping is a combination of both the group settings (in SimPlaylist preferences) and the files being tagged correctly, and by "correctly" I mean to achieve that particular grouping. So if both %disc% and %subalbum% are tagged for the entire disc, as it appears they should be in this case, you are seeing the correct result.

I'm not sure what you mean by independently? Why not put both %disc% and %subalbum% on the same line?

[Disc: %disc% ][%subalbum%]

(By the way, not that it matters, but I think the standard field names are %discnumber% and %discsubtitle% ...?)

Or do you perhaps mean you want a third sub-group to group a few tracks within a disc together? ("Act 1, Act 2" etc). (I use %grouping% but that tag is tricky with different programs)

Yes, this is also a built-in feature (troublesome) of both Facets and SimPlaylist.

In Preferences > Display > SimPlaylist, modify the Title column pattern to use this instead -

$replace(%title%,'(','>>(',')',')<<')

Can do the same in Facets columns where there are sometimes brackets, for example %album% names.

Seeing as these two components dim all types of brackets - ( ) [ ] { }, you might want the complete code -

$replace(%title%,'(','>>(',')',')<<','[','>>[',']',']<<','{','>>{','}','}<<')

Cheers 8)

Reply #5
(By the way, not that it matters, but I think the standard field names are %discnumber% and %discsubtitle% ...?)
Or do you perhaps mean you want a third sub-group to group a few tracks within a disc together? ("Act 1, Act 2" etc). (I use %grouping% but that tag is tricky with different programs)
Yes! You are completely correct, I was using subalbum and subsection (my own custom tags) for this as I didn't think there was a metadata field designed for this. I will transfer the values to discsubtitle and grouping right away, as I do like to stay as vanilla as possible for the best compatibility.

I had one last question which I was hoping you may have an answer to.
In simplaylist I use %length% and  %items% to display the total playtime and total tracks of a given album.
I've also tried %duration% and %tracks% but then the albums all split up in to tracks or facets for some reason just doesn't accept it (see the image I've added) yet in display > statistics it does give these.
However I want them to be on one line. under album artist. Is there any way to make this work.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #6
^ I'm afraid not. Unfortunately it appears Facets only offers them through the statistics menu. These "group statistics" are special fields unique to each component that total up the items in that group - it has to be done by the component, because normal title formatting cannot "see" any other track. That is, you cannot use title formatting to access information from the next track or previous track in order to add them up; only the component can see them as a group.

Cheers