Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How To Generate Proper Log and Cue Files From Vinyl Rips? (Read 6885 times) previous topic - next topic

How To Generate Proper Log and Cue Files From Vinyl Rips?

I am wondering how to generate proper Log and Cue files on vinyl rips done to FLAC so that it preserves the albums timing and I can get an exact copy like I can do with a CD.

Reply #1
Supposedly, CD Wave can do this, though I've never tried it. It does handle FLACs, despite its name.

Give it a shot (it has an unlimited free trial) and please report back on your successes or failures.

Reply #2
I am wondering how to generate proper Log and Cue files on vinyl rips done to FLAC so that it preserves the albums timing and I can get an exact copy like I can do with a CD.

Not sure what you mean by "log and cue files". I know what a cue file is. Are you referring to the log files that rippers sometimes generate? If you are, then that is irrelevant for your purposes - all you need is a cue file.

As Knowsy says, CD Wave can generate cue files, but I don't know how much detail it is able to include. As far as I am aware, it isn't able to include indexes. Last time I played with CD Wave it wasn't able to zoom in, so placing cue points was limited in accuracy. But things may have changed in later versions for all I know. You should certainly download it and give it a try.

Wave Repair can create cue files and allows you to place indexes as well as tracks. It'll do this in its unregistered form, so if all you use it for is generating cue sheets, no need to register. You can zoom in as tight as you like to place the cue points with arbitrary precision (but bear in mind that cue points must lie on CD block boundaries, ie. exact multiples of 588 samples). You can also set up the PERFORMER and TITLE tags and have them included in the generated cue file. The downside is that Wave Repair only works on WAV files, so you'd have to decode your FLACs to WAV to create the cue file. (No need to re-encode, just keep the original FLAC and delete the WAV after the cue file is done).

Reply #3

Thanx so much for the info from you both.